Shirley Clamp | The Popjustice Forum

Shirley Clamp

Discussion in 'Eurovision' started by Jake, Jul 12, 2006.

1. I am wondering who is she?

A few people have told me she is brilliant. Did she enter Melodifestival etc?

Would it be worth getting some of her albums?

2. She is rather wonderful. She entered Melodifestivalen in 2003 with a song called Mr Memory. It was rather good. But didn't do much.

She entered Melodifestivalen in 2004 with a song called "Min Karlek". It is simply amazing and considered by many to be vastly better than the one that actually won (which was pretty darn good as well). It is an amazing 3 minutes of pure grandness featuring soaring, vocals, ding dayngy ABBAish bits and key changes. She wore a lovely blue dress in the final. She has a large bosom.

She released an album called "Den Langsomma blommen" (apologies for bad spelling). It has probably half really good songs and few ok ones and a couple of crappy ones. Definitely worth getting - other choice cuts are For Den Som Alskar and Eviga Langtan.

She entered Melodifestivalen in 2005
    with a song called "Att Alska Dig". It is very very very good. But not as good as "Min Karlek". She didn't win. She wore a horrible browny-orange-champagne coloured curtain.

She released another album, the name of which I can't remember. Another single called Mina Minnen is very funky and very good. Track 3 is good but I can't remember the name of it. Track 11 I think is called Alliga Bla and it sounds like a rip-off of cross between One for Sorrow and Last Thing On My Mind by Steps, then done in Swedish by Shirley! It's amazing. A very good album, over half of it is very good. Definitely worth getting.

She released another album of Swedish covers of some of her favourite songs, the first single being "Nar Karleken Fods" - It Must Have Been Love in Swedish. It's all rather boring and a bit of a disappointment really.

To finish this off, here is a picture I took of Shirley with the boys from Alcazar in dim-lighting underneath a Stockholm convention centre.

[​IMG]

3. I think Att Alska Deg is very very very very good, and better than Min Karlek. The key change moment where Shirley soars in Att Alska Deg is sublime.

She also sung the theme song for the 2004 Swedish Women's Ice Hockey team for the European Championships, or some such. It's called Champions. It is proper ace.

She is also on a Christer Bjorkman song called Ma Vie (My Life). She's gay disco diva with an attitude on that.

A

4. I must hear Ma Vie! That sounds interesting.

I think whether you prefer Min Karlek or Att Alska Dig depends on your taste....the latter is just a little too soppy for my tastes compared to the former.

Yes, Champions is great, I love the lyrics: "yellow and blue/just like the sun in heaven/the magic eleven."

5. And not forgetting her remarkable version of Do They Know It's Christmas. Those kids in Africa never had it so good.

6. I get the feeling that Shirley may be trying to strike out as a 'serious artiste'. Just give her a few years and she'll be back on form.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.