Showin Out!- The Stock Aitken & Waterman /PWL Rate 1984-1988- #65- Not A Blur! | Page 50 | The Popjustice Forum

Showin Out!- The Stock Aitken & Waterman /PWL Rate 1984-1988- #65- Not A Blur!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Thanks! I’d have never figured that one out!

2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

PHIL FEARON- AIN’T NOTHING BUT A HOUSE PARTY

AVERAGE SCORE: 5.88
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9 X 1 @unnameable
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 @Disco Blister

PEAK POSITION: 60
    RELEASED: NOVEMBER 1986

Both Fearon’s SAW tracks were covers, this time an old Showstoppers 1968 #11 track which proved to be his final chart entry though he went on to produce other top 10 singles most notably for Pepsi & Shirlie.

What did PJ say?

Clear the dancefloor- @unnameable is coming through! “ this is a hi-NRG blast!” but sadly he seems to be (like Robyn) dancing on his own.

@WhatKindOfKylie? is lingering around the edges “Quite like it's groove going on here. Not quite enough to make me wanna get up and party, but still not half bad!” and @MixmasterRemix is getting drunk and thinking about the situation “ it’s SAW’s tragedy that they’ll always be more associated with Big Fun than tracks like this”

@Eric Generic isn’t dancing either “I always enjoyed the Galaxy singles, but Phil Fearon lost his identity with Ain't Nothing But A House Party - slick and efficient as it might be - and it's no surprise he was never heard of again.”

Some of us haven’t even gone out, I say “Phil’s having a houseparty, I haven’t been invited. I survived. Mediocre”, @nanafan doesn’t want to be there either “Better of the two singles, first discovered via the Hit Factory 1 VHS. Terrible video, I wouldn’t want to be at that party!” or as @iheartpoptarts states flatly “I wouldn’t go.”

7" Mix

12" Mix

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  3. Fun enough song, but can't say I will be overly missing it either!

4. Haha, I actually meant mine as a compliment to Phil! I love this song and the b-side (a Fearon/SAW original) is even better:

And once again SAW milking the Mel & Kim samples for all they’re worth!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  5. "Ain't nothing but a house party" got a 6 from me!

MixmasterRemix likes this.
  6. Not a bad record at all but also not a song that I’d have chosen, much like Only The Strong Survive was an awful choice for Precious Wilson (WONDERFUL singer who needed a SAW original - Caught You In A Lie could have been a hit for her). I suspect this was a Pete Waterman selection, like Precious Wilson was. Maybe they wanted to toughen up his image. Phil has a great voice but this was just really generic for him. I think you could tell when SAW were doing pay day jobs, as they’d pass you off with a cover once they took off, and saved their own stuff for the best return acts.

It’s OK, and I did buy it, but not one I think of when it comes to Phil Fearon.

7. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

NICK STRAKER- WALK IN THE PARK 87

AVERAGE SCORE: 5.9
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 X 2 @nanafan @unnameable
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 2 @WhatKindOfKylie? @RaggedTiger

PEAK POSITION: 92
    RELEASED: SEPTEMBER 1987

Originally a No 20 hit in 1980 the Nick Straker Band featured (at one point) a certain Pete Hammond, naturally when it came to remixing it 7 years later it fell to PWL to work the magic and well it didn’t quite come off.

What did PJ Say?

Well this certainly divided opinion with 8 voters giving it at least an 8. They included myself “I shouldn’t like this at all, BUT I LOVE IT. I imagine were I to be in a gay club at Xmas 87 I would be buzzing my tits off to this on Quantro and vodka- probably” and @nanafan is clearly joining me! “Stone cold classic alert. This is how you do HiNRG. I want people to discover this and love it like I do through this rate. Play it loud and regularly”

@Eric is getting to love it “Starts slowly but I like the choruses” and even @Eric Generic gives it the thumbs up “Yeah, it works. Which isn't automatically the case with updated remixes”. @unnameable laments its chart position “sadly the original hit #20 in the UK or I'd be entering this next PJOPS” but once again @MixmasterRemix once again has questions “is this song about gay cruising? I always thought it was about gay cruising”

Perhaps @iheartpoptarts can provide an answer as he’s been researching “I looked up the original out of curiosity. I’m pretty much indifferent between the two versions, unlike most of YouTube.”

The only voice of dissent comes from @WhatKindOfKylie? “Shouty and full blown Hi-NRG stuff and thus another nil score from me! “- what is he doing in this rate?

7" Mix

12" Mix

8. What, I’ve accidentally given A Walk In The Park more than 2 points? Shocked.

Eric Generic likes this.
  9. A Walk In The Park got a solid 7 from me. Decent song.

Eric Generic likes this.
  10. No, people have started culling the un Hi-NRG bops by people we've never heard of!

11. Another one I'd forgotten about!

I did also give my fair share of high scores though...

gezza76 likes this.
  12. No you gave it a 1.

Eric Generic likes this.
  13. I'm pleased that Mandy Smith is holding on! Let's hope it continues. At least I think so anyway!

14. Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

That hurts. I absolutely love that track. I thought it would be very popular in the rate

idratherjack and gezza76 like this.
  15. I gave it an 8 and I wasn't familiar with it pre rate but it is rather great!

Eric, Eric Generic and nanafan like this.
  16. Yay!!

17. I'm not sure how but I've had A Walk In The Park on my iPod for years without knowing it was SAW.

It's HiNRG heaven and has no business being out this early!

18. I’m guessing “A Walk in the Park” isn’t about gay cruising but I think I always associate it with that since I discovered the track around when I found Martyn Lacey’s “Cruising in the Park.” I can’t find that online now but it was a little more explicit with lines about “finding a lover in the moonlight” and how “no one round here knows my name” then poor Angie Gold chimes in on background vocals asking her man where he goes at night.
    5476ACDF-75EE-4F43-AA8F-447D89C971BB.jpeg
    But then I thought “All the Way” sounded like a sex song too so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19. A Walk In The Park would have worked well as a Divine song too which is the highest praise I can give it!

Eric and MixmasterRemix like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.