Showin Out!- The Stock Aitken & Waterman /PWL Rate 1984-1988- #75- In With A Bullet | Page 54 | The Popjustice Forum

Showin Out!- The Stock Aitken & Waterman /PWL Rate 1984-1988- #75- In With A Bullet

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Nov 19, 2018.

1. This song gets better on repeat listen I think.

2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

THREE DEGREES- THIS IS THE HOUSE

AVERAGE SCORE: 6.275
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9 X 1 @iheartpoptarts
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 @letuinmybackdoor

PEAK POSITION: DID NOT CHART
    RELEASED: MARCH 1986

Someone’s been listening to Aretha Franklin’s “Who’s Zoomin Who” haven’t they? The second and final Three Degrees single to be worked on by SAW and it missed the charts, nevermind Bananarama ere around the corner so it’s all good. This isn’t actually half bad, and if you watch the clips you’ll see that a certain Miquel Brown joined the group to promote the single proving that SAW worked with Sinitta’s mother before they worked with her- maybe she recommended them?

What did PJ say?

Well when it comes to Three Degrees offerings in this rate @WhatKindOfKylie? and I are at loggerheads, I note “Probably slightly more soulful than their other offering here and a better song for it despite the chart position” whilst they disagree “Not quite as good as the superb The Heaven That I Need admittedly. But still a solid offering in its own right.”

@MixmasterRemix loves it “great pop soul track but missed opportunity to do a Phil Harding “This is the huh-huh-huh-house music!” remix” and @iheartpoptarts refers to the last song in the rate as “This is a good ending.” @unnameable concludes “pretty good” and @Eric Generic gives a compliment (I suspect) “I'm hearing some Scritti Politti in here”

@nanafan provides the only shade “A weaker follow up and more Princess sounding but it lacks something”

Live

12" Mix

3. Good song. Glad it's done better than I thought it would too!

4. Looking Good Diving out already?! I suppose we are still culling the flops but it's a great record. I am thankful that this rate led me to discover the Nick Kamen cover which I love too, really suits his barely there voice.

5. I’ve never quite gelled with This Is The House. I discovered it years after The Heaven I Need and was excited to first hear it as I expected a similar song and just found this a bit limp in comparison

6. It's a very good little bop isn't it?!

7. I originally thought of it as a pop curio due to the Neneh Cherry connection but over the years have come to love it in its own right.

8. I was indeed, and funnily enough I've been playing the Och'i album this week and hear more Scritti sounds on that as well. The boys were obviously taking notes from the Cupid & Psyche album.

9. Big fan of This Is The House. Bought it at the time and preferred it to Heaven I Need. This was a much bigger production but not quite as instant, or radio friendly. Sheila Ferguson is a great pop singer. A pity her PWL album is gathering dust.

10. Slight 'correction' @gezza76 - 'Looking Good Diving' was not actually released (in the UK, anyway) until early February 1987. I added a reference for that on its wikipedia page.

11. To my knowledge, 'Looking Good Diving' (the original, non-Neneh lead vocal version) has never been released on CD. I was hoping there'd be a second SAW singles box including it.

And here's my 480p upload (vs the 240p one embedded on the previous page):

12. I (obviously) loved both of these, my attraction to SAW was the uptempo stuff but these two show they could shine at lower tempos.

Jamie J Morgan went on to have a few solo singles. The only one I could kind of get into was his cover of Lou Reed’s “Walk On the Wild Side”

And here’s Nick’s wet ‘n’ wild cover of “Looking Good Diving” for anyone who hasn’t heard it. (Notably both of these video uploads are courtesy of @ohnoitisnathan!)

13. Is this Three Degrees the same Three Degrees as with the Girl Band Rate? If so - WOW - I didn't know they had SAW tracks!! #FlopGirlBandHost!

14. Have any of the Sheila Ferguson PWL tracks leaked? From a Google search I see that PWLHitFactory posted on FB that Hazell Dean's “Always Doesn't Mean Forever” and Sequal's “Tell Him I Called“ were written for her. Anyone have more info on any other tracks?

idratherjack and Eric Generic like this.
  15. A full Shelia Ferguson PWL album, does sound quite good!

MixmasterRemix likes this.
  16. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

O’CHI BROWN- WHENEVER YOU NEED SOMEBODY

AVERAGE SCORE: 6.35
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 X 1 @ohnoitisnathan
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 @RaggedTiger

PEAK POSITION: 79
    RELEASED: DECEMBER 1985

Never frightened to recycle their own songs and on this occasion promo’s too- those flags from “You Spin Me Round” get a dusting down but they’ve bought some new streamers- we can use that in a Sinitta promo in a few years. Anyway nothing salvaged this from the bargain bin. True the production isn’t as slick as Rick’s version but they’d sort that out in the next 24 months. Apparently this was a Billboard Dance No 1 though so some success.

What did PJ Say?

Two clear camps here, the ones who liked this version and the ones who prefer Rick’s. In the O’Chi corner are @Eric Generic “Much prefer her version of Whenever You Need Somebody to Rick's, and it's one of SAW's best songs in my opinion. The production's oddly demo-like, though”, @Eric “A brand new discovery, what a great voice!” and @ohnoitisnathan “ I like it more than Rick's version.”

I’m team Rick “It’s a hard track to review as I only heard the original years after the Astley version so this seems like the cover. I prefer the more polished Astley version though this is perfectly acceptable”, @WhatKindOfKylie? agrees “ I'm way more used to and love the Rick version more. But this original more soulful effort is still a super strong single, and another good attempt at R&B-Hit Factory style “ @nanafan makes three “What a difference 2 years make, the original is a bit plodding I think, Rick makes it his own” and @unnameable completes team Rick “good song, but the production isn't quite as good as on Rick's version”

@MixmasterRemix doesn’t state his preference but merely that this “chugs along as well as it can but never quite gets to the station” whilst @iheartpoptarts can’t get past the video “But what is the harp for?”

Promo

12" Mix

17. Whenever You Need Somebody, great song! The Rick cover is even more so.

MixmasterRemix and Eric Generic like this.
  18. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

AUSTIN HOWARD- I’M THE ONE WHO REALLY LOVES YOU

AVERAGE SCORE: 6.35
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 X 2 @ohnoitisnathan @WhatKindOfKylie?
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 @RaggedTiger

CHART POSITION: 60
    RELEASED: AUGUST 1986

Featured in the “Knights And Emeralds” soundtrack allegedly. A rather good song that was their only collaboration together, he went on to join Ellis, Beggs & Howard. This was later covered by Mel & Kim for their debut album.

[​IMG]

Mike says “I loved Austin. He played a trick on Matt once. Matt had to go somewhere for a while and when he came back Austin was wearing a big afro wig pretending to be someone from New York. He kept it up the whole evening and Matt didn’t notice”.

What did PJ say?

Largely praise for this one! I lead the tributes“Well this was a surprise, rather engaging and daytime pop a la mid 80s, and with some substance too! One of the finds of the rate in my opinion” and stanning just as hard is @WhatKindOfKylie? “From the moment I heard that big "WOOO-HOOO" in the intro, I knew I would STAN for this! The rest of the song didn't disappoint either. A fantastic soul groove backed by a fantastic Luther esque vocal too. “@iheartpoptarts is more reservedPretty. He should have more than one song.” But we’re back to full praise with @nanafanLove this, prefer Austin Howard to Mel & Kim’s version but both are really good. Released twice to try and get a hit and I think it should have been. A joyous record”

@ohnoitisnathan is comparing versions again As much as I like Mel & Kim, I have to say that this song suits Austin's voice better. It's kind of cheap that they used virtually the same backing track for the Mel & Kim version, too. Fun fact for those who don't know: Austin was once in a band with Yazz (The Biz)!” @unnameable is loving that voicegreat vocals”

@Eric Generic is liking what he hearsWasn't he going to be the new David Grant? An underrated singer, who went on to create the noted law firm Ellis Beggs & Howard in 1988, while the song got recycled for the Mel & Kim album.” And it manages to convince @RemorqueOkay, but fail at me not knowing Mel & Kim's I'm the One Who Really Loves You was a cover... I actually prefer Austin's voice over Mel & Kim's as it has a lovely tone and doesn't really rely on the backing vocals too much, but... It's still not entirely my cup of tea though.
    EDIT: after having it on for repeat a couple of times I'm upping this score with a point. It's almost won me over.”

Some aren’t impressed or prefer Mel & Kim, they include @MixmasterRemix “nice slice of pop-soul but not a standout “, @Rooneyboy “The song and production are both decent, shame about the weak vocals” and @Disco BlisterWhen Mel & Kim released their album I had no idea this song had previously been done by someone else. Learned about the original only many, many years later. In any case it wasn’t a favourite of mine on F.L.M., as I found the ”I’m - do do! - the one - do do! - who really looo-ooo-ooooves yoooou” parts annoying as hell (still do), but I do prefer it to Austin Howard’s version. Of course.”

@etcetera also prefers those female vocalsThe Mel & Kim version is much better. I don’t really like the ”I’m do do, the one do do” part here.”

7" Mix

12" Mix

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  19. Nothing against Austin Howard but this song is absolute pants, even by Mel and Kim!

MixmasterRemix and phoenix123 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.