Showin Out!- The Stock Aitken & Waterman /PWL Rate 1984-1988- AND THE WINNER IS.... | Page 124 | The Popjustice Forum

Showin Out!- The Stock Aitken & Waterman /PWL Rate 1984-1988- AND THE WINNER IS....

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Nov 19, 2018.

1. It's a piece of tinsel/glitter being blown down the stage.

Eric Generic likes this.
  2. Just some fluff in the first degree.

Ray and Rooneyboy like this.
  3. Oh I see now it's a bit of black plumage floating down from Siobhan's left shoulder.

As you were….

Eric Generic likes this.
  4. Damn, I knew I should have tanked 'I Heard a Rumour' with a score of 4 or less. Honestly... better than 'Love In the First Degree'?!

I also don't think the BRITs performance of 'Love In the First Degree' is that good.

5. Someone I showed this to said it looks like a big spider coming down on a web. It does look like that, once it hits the floor.

berserkboi likes this.
  6. No 4 incoming.....................who could it be?

berserkboi likes this.
  7. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BANANARAMA- I HEARD A RUMOUR

AVERAGE SCORE: 9.285
    HIGHEST SCORE: 11 X 1 @letuinmybackdoor 10 X 11 @WhatKindOfKylie? @nanafan @idratherjack @RaggedTiger @MixmasterRemix @SmashHitter @iheartpoptarts @Disco Blister @etcetera @unnameable @Remorque
    LOWEST SCORE: 6.5 X 1 @CasuallyCrazed

PEAK POSITION: 14
    RELEASED: JULY 1987

Apparently one of Pete Waterman’s favourite songs ever though as we know how they didn’t get sued for plagiarism still remains one of pop’s biggest mysteries. Regardless it is a great record and a US top 5 single to boot!

[​IMG]

Pete Says “It’s the kind of record I’d love to play if I was still on the Mecca circuit. It’s a great hybrid with Motown lyrics, an Italian Melody and a Eurobeat. It sounds great on the radio”

What did PJ say?

@letuinmybackdoor has the floor as this was their 11! “They managed the feat of making a record that didn't sound like either Bananarama nor SAW and yet totally them. Like they created a whole new act combining the best of both. The perfect pre 1989 SAW song.”

@iheartpoptarts starts our run down of those who gave it a ten- even though “This is my Bananarama 11. SAW does bittersweet pop bops so very well.” @unnameable labels it “sheer excellence” while @Disco Blister adds “Still shocked after finding out only a couple of years ago that I Heard Rumour blatantly ripped off that Give Me Up song by someone called Michael Fortunati. Not that I care, not that it makes me love the Nana classic any less, but still. Shocked!”

@WhatKindOfKylie? is still bopping “That intro alone makes me wanna get up and bop! What a total tune, and the perfect start to the divine WOW! album and era “ and @nanafan is dancing with them “Stunning. Legend goes that it was recorded 2 lines at a time as Bananarama would never have agreed to it otherwise. They clearly love it now and it was performed so many times in 87. A crime it wasn’t Top 5. At least the U.S. got it right and made it a big hit. This needs to be in the Top 10 of this rate as a bonafide classic. Love the Miami Mix too”, it’s even in @MixmasterRemix ‘s dreams “I was so thrilled I had dreams where I was asking random people when the album was coming out.”

I’m a fan too “Everything that was great about the nana’s in the 80s is here, the catchy tune, the sassy attitude and the fun vibe, and all in just the right quantity- Even if the tune is a blatant rip off of “Give Me Up” and even @Eric Generic isn’t hating “I've warmed to I Heard A Rumour in recent years, as it's clearly a top-tier SAW production, but WOW! has always been MEH! for me”

@ohnoitisnathan meanwhile is less impressed “Me no likey this one as much as most people seem to, including the girls themselves.”

Promo

TOTP

12" Mix

8. I do like this song a lot (9.5 from me) but I've always been bemused why people elevate it above all their other big pop hits.

Jesus. Hazell Dean has only gone and got into the top three!

The other two are rather over-rated for me and Hazell is my last 10 standing but I reckon she's next.

Deborah X and Eric Generic like this.
  9. I've forgotten what the other song left in the top 3 is.

10. Whatever I Do Wherever I Go
    Respectable
    You Spin Me Round

I'm disappointed with the top three personally, despite the surprise inclusion of the Hazell banger.

11. I thought Respectable had already gone! D'oh.

12. Am devvod! But I never expected it to win. Top 5 is right for this. My second favourite Bananarama song after Robert de Niro's waiting.

Eric Generic likes this.
  13. Yeah me too. If Hazell's They Say It's Gonna Rain and Mel and Kim's FLM or Showing Out replaced their respective songs, and pretty much anything (or ideally I Want You Back) replaced Dead or Alive I might be more on board.

But then I didn't vote, so I can't really complain!

14. Congrats to @etcetera who is the only voter to see their personal 11 make it to the top 3!

15. Of the 3 remaining, I hope Mel & Kim or Hazell win it. But that means it's bound to be Dead Or Alive. Though I can't complain if is.

Eric Generic likes this.
  16. @gezza76 I love the thread title clues you've been giving out, throughout this rate.

When 'Respectable' leaves, you've got to think of something that ends in -ation.

Revelation?
    Evacuation?

17. You're disappointed that the 2 best records in the rate (And Hazel Dean) made the Top 3???

18. I am really shocked that there is no Bananarama song in the top 3, and that we lost all of their remaining songs after another. Oh well, it really is getting too close too call now. Strong top 3 when all said and done.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  19. I'm very happy with the top 3
    - My introduction to SAW
    - SAW's first produced Number One
    - SAW's most sassy and imho Greatest Number One of the 80's!

20. Thanks, I'm very pleased to see it doing so well!
    I think all three remaining songs are great, but hopefully the one that I really love will be number one.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    gezza76 and Hairycub1969 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.