Shows that were largely forgotten but are still great

• Thread starter StraightActing19
  • Start date

Recently started this on the recommendation of a friend who has yet to lead me astray, and am honestly stunned by how excellent it is. It feels like a spiritual successor to “Mad Men.” Prior to watching I had zero interest in tech or Silicon Valley, but I’m so attached to these (very flawed yet very human) characters. Why wasn’t this a bigger hit!? Is it the name? I initially thought it must be a military/cop show.

Last edited:
Amazon Freevee has the entirety of The Secret Life of Us to stream, so I've been reliving the early 2000s (and I'll get to see the episodes that never made it to Channel 4 in the UK). Man, that aussie drama was so relatable...it made me want to move to Melbourne (for about 30 seconds before I checked out the cost and the nightmare that is Australian immigration).

He/Him
Amazon Freevee has the entirety of The Secret Life of Us to stream, so I've been reliving the early 2000s (and I'll get to see the episodes that never made it to Channel 4 in the UK). Man, that aussie drama was so relatable...it made me want to move to Melbourne (for about 30 seconds before I checked out the cost and the nightmare that is Australian immigration).
Even truer today!

"Camelot" was great, but Arthur was terribly miscast. Weedy annoying uninspiring teen boy. A shame considering Eva Green, Purefoy, Joseph Fiennes and Claire Forlani were all so great.

So I decided to continue with "Popular" - and episode 3 has turned into a camp Ryan Murphy mess. It makes Scream Queens look like Mike Leigh-level social realism. It hit Sunset Beach having a Christmas miracle levels of ridiculousness. The camp drama teacher hit levels of stereotyping not normally seen outside of Glee.

Most meta moment - Where Brooke says she feels like she's in one of those families-thrown-together shows "but they usually get cancelled 'cause one of the stars robs a drycleaner because they're an addict, or the premise just runs out of steam"

Hmmm....seeing as Popular got cancelled after 2 seasons, I suspect the premise will run out of steam soon.
Popular is such a guilty pleasure of mine! I recently bought both seasons on DVD and I finished season one. I actually didn't enjoy the pilot on re-watch and missed how over the top the show became. I thought it was ahead of its time with the heightened reality of the world and comedy instead of just doing a straight teen show. I also love that they tackled topics you didn't really see in shows back then. I wish they got at least a third season before getting the axe.

Man I feel old reminiscing about all these. All mentioned but As If, The Secret Life of Us and Popular are definitely on my list. I have a season of The Secret Life of Us on DVD collecting dust somewhere. Also, does anyone remember Synchronicity from 2006? Set in Manchester across 6 episodes and it had the actors playing Jamie and Nikki from As If in it.

p08gd6c1.jpg

When are we getting a Cutting It revival!?

Man I feel old reminiscing about all these. All mentioned but As If, The Secret Life of Us and Popular are definitely on my list. I have a season of The Secret Life of Us on DVD collecting dust somewhere. Also, does anyone remember Synchronicity from 2006? Set in Manchester across 6 episodes and it had the actors playing Jamie and Nikki from As If in it.
Welcome, I see another member of the cult of Jemima Rooper posting here! I liked Sinchronicity, BBC Three has turned out some good dramas over the years.

I feel a binge-watch of As If coming on. Nikki is iconic, never realised how chunky those highlights were. The original hun.