Sigrid - How to Let Go (2nd Album) | Page 16 | The Popjustice Forum

Sigrid - How to Let Go (2nd Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Butterfly, May 16, 2021.

1. Yeah, I reckon the high peak will be down to the huge number of different vinyl / CD / signed variants she has going on. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I don’t think there is huge buzz around this record.

2. I enjoyed the album! Not as many standouts as her debut, and it does get bland at times....Burning Bridges is still the best thing here (which isn't a bad thing since that song is stellar), but it's a nice listen overall. I especially really love Dancer and Risk Of Getting Hurt.

She definitely has so much potential to do better though and this era was handled really oddly.

3. amtam likes this.
  4. I know she’s 25 now but her audience definitely skews much younger than millennials. The zoomers just like a sad bop here and there! The writer is too hung up on her image. Comparing her music to a Goop vaginal jade roller is incredibly random and harsh for no reason.

5. What the hell is that article?

6. My main problem with that article is the conflation of white feminism with insta influencers and wellness culture (and, eh, Sigrid). The movement has a lot to answer for, sure, and has arguably long outstayed its relevance, but to reduce 50 years of often brilliant, radical, genuinely transformative thought to vaginal eggs is just fucking dumb.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    HairBodyFace likes this.
  7. This bit in particular:

is where I rolled my eyes the hardest. Would he have cared as much if she was dolled up with extravagant makeup and glam? The projection and the way he's doing the absolute most about her appearance in an album review is a lot.

adayasatiger and SlowBurn like this.
  8. 2014

2014 Staff Member

It was written by a woman. I feel like if a man had made this much fuss it would be getting far more traction. The amount of reaches in the whole article....journalists really think they did something when they publish huh.

9. Glad to hear some growth in the songwriting, she went from:

Both our hoodies red, you're in my head / The airline lost my luggage, still got all this weight”.

To songs like High Note.

10. I can relate to the lyrics so I really like this. Her voice suits this rock-ish sound well and it's evident she is into what she's doing. The attitude + looks + voice combo kind of gives me Janis Joplin at times.

bimbo likes this.
  11. I think she definitely let the criticism get to her as she started to introduce patterns, sequins and dresses to her wardrobe this era dddd. But in live shows she's still wearing jeans and a basic white tee. It really is just her personal style.

computer boy likes this.
  12. Pleasantly surprised by this. It seems more cohesive than her debut (which I thought was solid too). I think she's wonderful, but for whatever reason this campaign hasn't interested me. Not sure where she goes from here but she has the talent and it would be nice to see her doing well.

SlowBurn likes this.
  13. But that's cos the UK charts count album streams wrong, it just reflects people streaming from playlists or This is Elton john rather than proper album streams. So yes it's a miracle she's at #2 and she will drop massively next week as she doesn't have playlist support. But that happens to all new albums every week.

magictreehouse and Mikal like this.
  14. https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/sigrid-how-to-let-go/

The Pitchfork review of this album isn't really that off the mark but there needs to be some music journalism equivalent of the Bechdel Test stipulating that reviews of European women that namedrop Robyn automatically fail. Like we get it: like Sigrid, Robyn is Scandinavian and makes pop music, but that's about where the similarities end. The comparison becomes even more specious when you remember Robyn didn't really even hit her stride until her third album.

Mikal, magictreehouse and Mike like this.
  15. For a middling album, the reviews have been so funny, from "white feminism: the musical" to "gay club filler" ddd.

eatyourself and lushLuck like this.
  16. Reviews are meaningless.

nooniebao likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.