Sigrid - Sucker Punch (Debut Album) | Page 49 | The Popjustice Forum

Sigrid - Sucker Punch (Debut Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by backstreetjoe, Feb 11, 2017.

1. I completely agree. In Vain is atrocious and it makes me laugh out loud. Whoever allowed this piece of garbage to be recorded, and in such manner, should be shot.

Myths, enricll and Meathook like this.
  2. This and also Level Up should be banned from this album immediately.

c_0_r_3_y likes this.
  3. Agree that Mine Right Now sounds like an obvious single.

The album is good. Nothing groundbreaking but it's an enjoyable listen.

Vasilios likes this.
  4. I am in no way here for stuff like "Dynamite" from her, but I have to admit the acoustic versions of both "Don't Kill My Vibe" and "Plot Twist" are kind of incredible too. They are really nice additions to the boppery affairs of the originals. Her unique voice really shines on those.

The problem I have here is that "Dynamite" was originally labeled as an acoustic version when it was first released and that a bop version exists somewhere in the vaults. But due to its streaming success the label has decided to put this version on the album instead and just remove the "acoustic" tag. The same thing happened with a song on Anne-Marie's debut album if I remember correctly. A really annoying trend of the streaming era.

The fact a lot of the upbeat songs she's been performing were scrapped in favor of never-performed-before acoustic/downtempo stuff too makes this all more frustrating.

5. Never Mine is about five years behind trend but weirdly it hits me harder than did most of the songs that had this sound during its heyday

nooniebao and Lost Boy like this.
  6. Well, she probably found it on Heartthrob by Tegan and Sara, which was in fact released 5-6 years ago...

xondus likes this.
  7. RMK

RMK

Pitchfork review was spot on.

8. Completely.

RMK likes this.
  9. I was thinking the same thing, completely agree with Pitchfork; made me even think that Laura Snapes might me a member of this forum, she really expressed my thoughts and probably the overall forum opinion very well.

10. Precisely. I'm so over this "relatable" popstars trend.

11. RMK

RMK

She was more relatable in the beginning, anyway. Returned to the first EP today - and it's really something.

Really a shame things have become so much more muted.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 10:29 PM
  12. That first EP was really fucking amazing wasn't it? It's almost crazy how good the quality is compared to everything we got post Strangers.

13. [​IMG]

Laure Snapes, see you in court.

14. Sorry guys, I’m completely clueless about how the charts work these days... Did the album debut at #4 or am I wrong?

15. I checked out from following her or any of the recent Spotty Fry pop girls after her first single but Don't Feel Like Crying stripped my wig clean off, tee bee aich. Basic, but make it bop. Forgot about all the rest bar the title track maybe.

TRAVVV likes this.
  16. 2014

2014 Moderator

The coloured vinyl is only £17 at Fopp and it's so pretty (and selling pretty quick!)

17. It's kind of incredible how it falls apart completely around the 1 minute mark with those balls-to-the-wall glass-shattering croaky vocals.

I agree with the Pitchfork review entirely.

China_Heart likes this.
  18. Don't Feel Like Crying going top20 in the UK out of nowhere is something I didn't imagine happening but good for ha.

Cedric likes this.
  19. I am all here for the vocals on "In Vain". They're powerful and emotional, and not "croaky" in the least.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.