Simple Minds | The Popjustice Forum

Simple Minds

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by panzermensch, Jul 12, 2012.

1. I went to their 5x5 tour yesterday in Arhus (Denmark) and I have to say they rocked the place. I feared it would be half empty even if the venue only holds 850 people as the ticket price of 50 euro was a bit expensive. But it was almost sold out and since I've only ever seen Simple Minds on a big stage it was excellent to watch them up close. I'm not a big fan, in fact I don't even own a Simple Minds record, so I only knew roughly 10 of the 25 songs they played. But that didn't matter as they were rather awesome. It was a bit of an uneven setlist with some odd songs thrown in, but stuff like I Travel, Love Song, New Gold Dream, Someone Somewhere Summertime and a couple more I forgot the title off simply sounded fantastic! When they pull together, they can create quite a footstomping groove, and there was some really excellent 80's styled new romantic bass play last night. If they come near you, go!

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  2. Their new song is great!

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  3. Simple Minds are one of my all time favourite bands. Their early work is actually quite influenced in both the "Rave" world of the 90's and 00's and their edgy "New Wave" stuff was an influence on lots of 00's indie bands.

Check out the albums:
    Empires and Dance (1980)
    Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call (Double Album from 1981)
    New Gold Dream 81-82-83-84 (from 1982)

for starters and then try
    Real to Reel Cacophony (1979)
    Sparkle in the Rain (1984)

"The kick inside of me" from 1984 is the sound of the Manic Street Preachers in their Mother's wombs before they gave birth!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.