Siobhán Donaghy

T

tommie

Siobhan leaves "Rent" this Saturday and will presumably be working with some dance producers in the coming weeks...

tommie said:
Siobhan leaves "Rent" this Saturday and will presumably be working with some dance producers in the coming weeks...

Good luck to her but I can't see how she's going to continue in music when she's got such bad luck against her. It's not even funny anymore.

D

dddirtymind

Kirkland said:
tommie said:

Good luck to her but I can't see how she's going to continue in music when she's got such bad luck against her. It's not even funny anymore.

I don't know if it's bad luck so much as hubris. Maybe she should've tried to make something a bit more commercial first so she could at least have a fanbase before she veered off into artist-land. I guess that's what she's trying to do now with these 'dance producers' though.

T

tommie

A lot of people keep on despite having next to no commercial success - if she gets dropped by Parlophone she'll probably sign to some indie label.

Also, I can't imagine her doing "Song 4 Siobhan" or "Everytime We Touch"; it'll probably be closer to the tracks she did with Square One ("Carpe Diem" and "Stifling").

T

Tangled_Up

I saw this album in HMV today for a fiver and decided that if it had 30 pages on Popjustice, it was worth a gamble. And i'm so glad I bought it.

I know i'm late, but this album is pretty much gold isn't it? It's just so creative and ethereal...not to mention Medevac and Goldfish are now two of my favourite songs of all time.

It's not normally my type of music either...but it's just so catchy and singable....and i've no idea why. This is definitely my favorite album of 2007.

She can't carry on but her nimble fingers still feel the cold...GENIUS!

Stifiling is magic, it's mind-numbingly good!! The "derogative talk come my way" line is just.. *sigh*, and then the chorus comes in, and BAM you're sucked into another world.
Also note-worthy, Re-Offend being less than two minutes long and a repeat of two lines, is one of 2007's pop highpoints, for me anyways.

I feel ashamed. I really wanted this album to sell well, but then even I haven't bought it yet!
I tried to find it in London last week when I was there. But alas, it was nowhere to be found.
Also I tried buying the 'Be Mine' single. Couldn't find any CD-singles at all in all the HMVs I was in. Strange stuff.

M

moorje

If this was true it must have been cut because she's not on there. Probably for the best as this has to be their laziest album to date. It's just Who Can You Trust pt. 2

T

tommie

Oh, I really like it, but it doesn't fit in with the album I agree. Makes me wonder how many other amazing Siobhan tracks there are in the vaults...

I think Siobhan can continue regardless if both her albums have failed to sell.

Despite them not doing the biz Parlophone are very happy with the reaction to GHOSTS in retrospect to the amount of promotion they gave it it has done very well.

I think they were hoping that amazing reviews & word of mouth would of made the album a huge hit like it did for Macy Grey a few years ago, her 1st album had no advertising and only 8 posters put up around London yet it still managed to get a huge hit with I TRY and go several times platinum in the U.K alone.

It has not happened yet for her but all she really needs is "that big hit" and she will be set up for life, I mean how else are people like Tori Amos, Bjork & Enya still going strong despite not having a hit on the charts for several years? cos they are still riding off the back of that big hit they all had and so their core fanbase buy their albums, something I think Siobhan is an album seller not a hit maker for the top 40, I mean she could of gone down that route & do throw away pop but she has stayed true to herself which I really admire.

I think there is still more great things to come from Miss Donaghy regardless if she sells 1 million or 10 thousand. SIA has been going for years and releases quality album after quality album and she has never had a hit or a big selling album (if you don't count her stuff with ZERO 7)

'Obscured By The Crowds' would have sounded great on the album, I think. Maybe it was planned for a B-side. I don't think Siobhan has done a song that I don't like.

I've started listening to Ghosts again (I bought it online as the physical version hasn't been released in Canada - which is very odd). It really is a great album that was cruelly overlooked by the record-buying public. Critics weren't that easy on it either as they felt it was too derivative of other music. But, what music isn't nowadays? Please: Kate Bush (whom I adore) wishes Aerial sounded half as good as Ghosts (yeah, I said it!)

The videos for the two singles are beautiful and two of my favourites from '07.

I like 'Crowds'. I like the background vocals and sounds.

Carl Mcintosh
New Siobhan track is out there.... is it maybe a new single?

edit:
its actually track "Obscured by Crowds" from ghosts session.... bleh :/
Ghosts sessions, co-written with James Sanger and Carl McIntosh

i hate to drag a thread from the depths of hell, but i've just heard for the first time ( i know right??? how slow could i be) don't take me back and i find it fantastic. when is she going to start promoting/ come out with a video for medevac?

i dont get why she should even bother...as much as we in america don't appreciate amazing music or at least BUY it, the failure of ghosts and of her in general is baffling. i really want to her to do well for the sole purpose that she'll keep coming out with stuff (although her third album is on it's way)

anyway medevac was supposed to have a video at some point in march i remember hearing, so if anyone knows....

M

moorje

I believe that after her stint in Rent she is now concentrating on starting her third album.