Skincare | Page 13 | The Popjustice Forum

Skincare

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by strangekin, Apr 30, 2020.

1. I have no experience with the topical form but I did use this website when I started differin (an OTC retinoid similar to tretinoin) and it was an extremely helpful and thorough resource.

https://simpleskincarescience.com/tretinoin/

strangekin likes this.
  2. I really didn’t want you double cleansing bitches to win, but I tried a cleansing balm for the first time because my mom has the Clinique one and it’s unfortunately quite lovely. I’m pressed.

3. For many years I didn't give a shit about skincare, products, and whatever but now I love reading about products and new ways to take care of it. I've been using some products from The Ordinary and I love them, my skin feels even for once, after some traumatizing acne-heavy years.
    My main issue has been finding a good scrubbing product and a friend of mine taught me to mix coffee grounds, honey, and yogurt, then proceed to rub it on your face for 10 minutes. I am in awe, my face feels so clean and smooth.
    I'm still on the hunt for something that will help with my eyebags but I'm slowly starting to make my peace with them.

4. Physical scrubs may feel nice and effective but they can definitely cause long term damage to your skin. Have you ever tried AHAs? I wish I had advice about eye bags but I’m in the same boat.

Jesus Jugs likes this.
  5. I haven't actually, let me fall down the rabbit hole again while reading about this

[​IMG]

savilizabeths and Jesus Jugs like this.
  6. They've been mentioned a few times but Beauty Within, Hyram, James Welsh, Susan Yara (Mixed Makeup) and Gothamista are all great skin care Youtube channels that will help you with AHAs and their recommended products for your skin type (dry, oily, combo).

7. I’ve avoided AHAs ever since The Ordinary’s peeling solution kind of temporarily wrecked my moisture barrier but I’ve jumped back on with Cosrx’s whitehead power liquid. It’s done wonders for some of my dark spots in a short period of time and it’s super gentle. Typically AHAs burn and sting my skin but I have no problems with this, plus it also has a couple of lovely hydrating ingredients. I’d recommend it for anyone just starting out with AHA exfoliators.

8. The Ordinary Peeling Solution is a REALLY intense AHA and should literally be used once a week at most because it's basically a chemical peel in a bottle. You have to work up to higher concentrations of AHA. Though if you have sensitive and/or dry skin and want a higher concentration I would suggest the Farmacy Honeymoon Glow because the honey really helps keep it from being too harsh.

I'd say a good starter is the Lactic Acid from The Ordinary, preferrably the 5% and then work up to the 10% and explore from there. It's affordable and Lactic Acid is gentler than Glycolic. Just test things. But if you do get the peeling solution from The Ordinary I'd say build up to it and then only use it once a week. Maybe once every week and a half if you have sensitive skin.

Hope this helped anyone!

WallyWinterborn likes this.
  9. I second the Farmacy Honeymoon Glow! Too expensive for me, but one of the best products I've used (and much better than Good Genes, which is lowkey trash).

10. Glossier's Solution has been a good introductory chemical exfoliator for me. You get AHA, BHA, and PHA for a good price. But now I'm kinda sick of it and want it to be gone so I can start using Lotion P50 1970, nn.

11. I forgot to sneak some Honeymoon Glow out of my brother's gf's bag before she stopped staying with us, nn. Sad!

savilizabeths likes this.
  12. Also, important to remember now more than ever that skincare is a right not a privilege!

Go to Sephora and take what’s yours!

savilizabeths likes this.
  13. yes god

[​IMG]

14. TO peeling solution looking like blood is a bit iconic. I didn't find that it burned much at all.

15. okay sisters I'm coming here for possible advice since I don't really know what to do

I've been using adapalene + benzoyl peroxide (TactuPump here in Canada, I think called Retinol elsewhere?) for mild acne on my face for 2 months and it has been clearing up incredibly well in the past week but in the last few days I've noticed my face is now starting to sting when I apply moisturizer. It's ONLY over the areas that I'm treating acne for; I apply the moisturizer on my forehead and feel nothing.

I read that I may have compromised my face's moisture barrier but I can't really find any clear advice on what I should do now. I'm guessing it's the acne treatment that has caused this so should I reduce how much I use it (currently once a day)? Will I start breaking out again if I reduce frequency? I have no idea what I'm doing nn and my dermatologist is not very helpful. Sis wanted to put me on accutane as the first option.

16. I can't believe I'm just finding this section of the forum!

My current obsession is Vitamin C serums. I just got Timeless Vit C + Ferulic Serum because apparently it's as good as Skinceuticals but 1/5th of the price. Has anyone else tried it?

Edit: This is my full routine!

AM-
    Cleanse: Fresh Soy Cleanser
    Brighten: Timeless Vit C + Ferulic Acid Serum
    Hydrate: The Ordinary "B Oil", Cetaphil Hydrating Lotion w/ Hyaluronic Acid
    Protect: ColoreScience Sunforgettable SPF 30 Powder (IF YOU HATE SUNSCREEN YOU NEED TO TRY THIS)

PM
    Cleanse: Fresh Soy Cleanser or Clear by Philosophy if I need something more intense
    Anti-Aging: Skinceuticals Retinol .5, Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Serum
    Hydrate: Cetaphil Hydrating Lotion w/ Hyaluronic Acid

I also do a couple of masks once a week but haven't found something consistent!

Looking for a good AHA product if anyone has recommendations.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    strangekin and Snatched like this.
  17. savilizabeths and codecat like this.
  18. Of course it's glittery and purple nn. As an OG PC truther, that brand has changed so much in the past 5 years. They're even selling CBD shit now.

strangekin and codecat like this.
  19. Have you started going out more during the day and are you wearing sunscreen? Acne treatment products make your skin more sensitive to the sun, so if lockdown has eased where you are and you're going out during the day without sunscreen, this could explain the irritation.

What moisturiser do you use?

20. Indeed I have been going out a little bit more, only once or twice a week though. I have been slacking on sunscreen because I'm still trying to find one that doesn't feel awful on my face.

I'm using a Neutrogena Hydro Boost moisturizer I don't remember specifically which one off the top of my head and it was working excellently for me until a few days ago.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.