Sky Ferreira - "Don't Forget" [IT'S HERE!!!] | Page 357 | The Popjustice Forum

Sky Ferreira - "Don't Forget" [IT'S HERE!!!]

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Noir, Nov 27, 2014.

1. That was the cursive queen Diana Vickers babe.

flapjack- and Runawaywithme like this.
  2. ...where's the music video tbh...

I have a slightly glimpse of hope that we might get it, followed by album pre-order. But yeah I know it's just that Sky's probably trying to cut every frame to make sure it is perfect.

I do hope the album will come this year. I'm unsure if "Just some re-recordings, really!" is the actual fact, but right now it looks like they'll probably be able to wrap up everything and release it without a tug of war. I hope they won't really try to... make vinyl a priority. I actually feel that, having that to come a little later, could help the album being released and not just dropping out of earth on the second week, but having a relaunch later on.

3. Not these two pieces of media reminding me that It was right to never give up on her or throughout the times people have constantly tried to make her out to be something she's not.

I still remember fighting with gays who thought they were impressive for having friends in marketing at Capitol and swearing the problem was Sky after Capitol saw the album be praised and expected I Blame Myself to somehow become some big pop hit.

I also remember those same voices constantly dismissing the type of rumors you'd hear about Dr. Luke in the studio and downplaying the mistreatment so many experienced.

She deserves the world and more.

4. She should really be pushing to rush out material to get out of her contract.

5. Sam

Sam

It … doesn’t work like that

Dijah., superultra, Lander and 13 others like this.
  6. And just like that, all artist/label issues have been solved!

Dijah., superultra, Lander and 15 others like this.
  7. She’s mentioned recording enough material for various albums, and that the record company were pushing her for a certain sound that wasn’t her.

I appreciate her sticking to her guns and being firm in only releasing stuff she wants. But the history of pop music is filled with amazing artists putting out stuff they don’t really want to because they’re under contract to then move on and do something amazing.

8. The monitor guy when Sky wants her vocal turned up to 11 and everyone else muted

Dijah., Jonathan27, Island and 19 others like this.
  9. If she could prove Captiol have caused her and her career substantial harm could she have grounds to sue and get out of her contract ala JoJo? I know it's extremely complicated but I do think it could be worth a shot.

10. If she’s only got one album left after this upcoming album… just ride it out teebs

Jwentz likes this.
  11. Sis, sometimes just not saying anything is the better option. They literally shelved an album of hers days before coming out on January 11th, 2011!

Island, superultra, Wishlight and 8 others like this.
  12. That’s not how it works though. The label wants a return on investment and will continue shelving and forcing artists into dev hell until their confident a project will make $$$.

13. Doing that would takes years & a lot of money. The stress alone probably isn't worth it, considering her health issues. Riding out the rest of her contract (while holding Capitol's feet to the fire in whatever way she can) is maybe the best solution here. I don't want to speculate too much, but I'm assuming the random acting/modeling gigs over the years is what pays her bills. She's talked about having to fund her own recording sessions too. A lawsuit would be a huge financial undertaking.

Of all the awful label situations we've heard of, Sky's is the worst. They've spent over a decade tormenting her, shelving her projects, not giving her a budget, & hanging her out to dry at any opportunity they could. Her entire career is a horror story I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Dijah., Jonathan27, Island and 16 others like this.
  14. It's so bizarre. Fairly similar situation to the JoJo one, in that I understand wanting to see a return on the investment but I don't understand where anyone involved thinks said return is going to come from.

Momentum is everything, and the longer artists stew in development hell, the more they lose momentum and people forget about them. Sky is actually doing very well to get the level of media coverage she has.

lucasdc, Ferk and Runawaywithme like this.
  15. The wall of sound production mixed with those huge emotive vocals on the live version of Innocent Kind - I can hear God. I know this album is worth waiting 100 years for.

16. My guess is it all comes back to opportunity-cost.

If they were to let Sky go and she were to subsequently blow up under another label or independently then they've in essence lost that money/potential revenue. It's more in their self-interest to hold on to Sky as an asset and have the option to release with her at some point, blocking competition from doing the same with that artist. It's absolutely awful approach to take but its their business model and the artist themselves tend to have very little leverage.

outofstyle, Sam and Runawaywithme like this.
  17. This outcome... is only possible if the stuff they don't want becomes big hits. Sky already compromised with Obsession, which flopped and was eventually scrubbed from existence on streaming.

Runawaywithme likes this.
  18. This argument has never made any sense to me. "We're not gonna release your music because we're not gonna make any money but we're going to keep you hostage here in case you go make money at another label." Ok so you admit it? You're the problem then. If you think she could be successful elsewhere.

And let's be real most of these decisions are made out of spite and are not actually business decisions.

DinahLee likes this.
  19. Label logic never makes sense. I stopped trying to figure it out because it really is just them being assholes 90% of the time.

20. She's EVER gonna release a music video for that or… it was just visuals for spotify or something i'm confused, hurry Sky people are forgetting!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.