Sky Ferreira

It's so bizarre. Fairly similar situation to the JoJo one, in that I understand wanting to see a return on the investment but I don't understand where anyone involved thinks said return is going to come from.

Momentum is everything, and the longer artists stew in development hell, the more they lose momentum and people forget about them. Sky is actually doing very well to get the level of media coverage she has.
My guess is it all comes back to opportunity-cost.

If they were to let Sky go and she were to subsequently blow up under another label or independently then they've in essence lost that money/potential revenue. It's more in their self-interest to hold on to Sky as an asset and have the option to release with her at some point, blocking competition from doing the same with that artist. It's absolutely awful approach to take but its their business model and the artist themselves tend to have very little leverage.

But the history of pop music is filled with amazing artists putting out stuff they don’t really want to because they’re under contract to then move on and do something amazing.
This outcome... is only possible if the stuff they don't want becomes big hits. Sky already compromised with Obsession, which flopped and was eventually scrubbed from existence on streaming.

My guess is it all comes back to opportunity-cost.

If they were to let Sky go and she were to subsequently blow up under another label or independently then they've in essence lost that money/potential revenue. It's more in their self-interest to hold on to Sky as an asset and have the option to release with her at some point, blocking competition from doing the same with that artist. It's absolutely awful approach to take but its their business model and the artist themselves tend to have very little leverage.
This argument has never made any sense to me. "We're not gonna release your music because we're not gonna make any money but we're going to keep you hostage here in case you go make money at another label." Ok so you admit it? You're the problem then. If you think she could be successful elsewhere.

And let's be real most of these decisions are made out of spite and are not actually business decisions.

She's EVER gonna release a music video for that or… it was just visuals for spotify or something i'm confused, hurry Sky people are forgetting!

Tamaryn shared some lyrics to All My Lovers Die. She also said it's her favourite song that herself and Sky worked on together.

I shed my deceit
Because all my lovers die
I had to let it be
Up to the bitter end
You stayed some kind of friend
Up to the night I failed

But you never could shut me out
You wouldn't so I did it myself
It's only fair now

If you ever feel that way
I'll leave your sight
Then I guess it would come true
My search for faith
I let it fill the silence
But it isn't you

she/they
Her interviews in NME and Guardian are rife with so much pain and frustration. She's really been through so much throughout the years, and I really feel for her. Others have hurled so much misogyny and other bullshit in her direction. I'm so glad that I've always stood with her, despite all the delays and setbacks, because I'm well aware of how misogyny works, and I knew that the long gaps between singles and bodies of work were not inherently her own doing. I mean, for fuck's sakes, she's been saying for years that she's been chronically ill on top of all this label fuckery. I had no reason to believe that she lied about any of it. I hope she enters a better mental state, I hope Masochism comes out the way she wants it, and I hope her thirties are much kinder to her.

PXL-20220701-070813503.jpg

Screaming. Will Young giving promo on the front page of today's Metro. This era just won't let up!