Slayyyter - Troubled Paradise | Page 174 | The Popjustice Forum

Slayyyter - Troubled Paradise

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by OspreyQueen, Oct 3, 2018.

1. 1) Troubled Paradise
    2) Letters
    3) Over This!

Admittedly, Clouds and Cowboys have both lost a little bit of steam for me over the last few months. The title track remains bulletproof though. I'm so gutted I didn't snag that vinyl, gorgeous.

ohaimanabu likes this.
  2. Clouds only gained steam for me, and it says a lot bearing in mind its placement on the tracklist. It might even be my favorite thing on the album, next to Letters. I love how it doesn't dip from the brilliance of the title track, but only goes higher and more effervescent. That chorus is a literal explosion, and the underlying melancholy only adds to its beauty. Pop perfection.

3. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

I see Gecs and similar acts with a somewhat stronger emphasis on rock than pop described as "glitchcore" often. I wouldn't really describe them and the more rock-leaning songs on this album as hyperpop.

huntypoo and Crisp X like this.
  4. It’s probably been said before, but could you imagine Lindsey Lohan’s band in Freaky Friday singing Over This! at the showcase?

The song just takes me back to high school with its crunchy pop/rock sound.

ohaimanabu and lushLuck like this.
  5. Me with Letters

[​IMG]

I know you write letters about me
    Cry when we fight, smile when you hold me

It might be the shift in production underneath this that really made me focus on it, but I keep thinking about how this is a deceptively loaded couplet in context. After this relationship has disintegrated she's aware that her partner's method of coping with things left unsaid is to write as a means of memorializing their relationship and she admonishes him for not expressing his feelings to her when they were together. If he had shown her how he felt instead things likely wouldn't have ended the way they did if at all. Instead all that's left are the letters he will never send, and the rest of the song is about her finding closure in spite of knowing the other person doesn't have it either.

Basically

[​IMG]

Wishlight, Mr Blonde, Inky and 12 others like this.
  6. So that Pitchfork article saying Dog House sounded like 212 was completely off the mark but I just realized it actually sounds a bit like Van Vogue.

lushLuck likes this.
  7. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

She should be soooo proud of this record. It demonstrates such a linear but marked progression from the mixtape and all its associated drops. You can tell she not only studied the 'big pop girl formula' that dominated the pre-streaming album launch model, but she's somehow adapted that draw to the streaming era? It's obvious that she has such a strong appreciation for the pop that raised her, and that it's the pop that she wants to be salvaged and respected through this whole era of quick lil' singles and Spotify drops. Being a popstar comes so naturally to her and the artform of being one is one that she respects just as much. This era has been so warming, especially in the course of a pandemic, and the cherry on top has been her online presence not feeling gimmicky or put on. I genuinely feel so spoiled by her offering this era; we're all honestly so lucky.

Mushroom, huntypoo, K94 and 19 others like this.
  8. What was this, it's been deleted?

9. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

wasnt it this

10. The way tweets posted on the forum always get deleted or the account goes private nn.

It's a crime Letters is the least streamed song on the album, it's top 3 for me. I love the electro dreamy ballads from her, Ghosttt on the mixtape was perfect as well.

11. "Letters" sounds like a flower shooting out sparks in that final section, and the way it blossoms like a time lapse video? Whew.

superultra, He, Dreampopboy and 7 others like this.
  12. Did she have a similar moment or something dd?

13. She tweeted something along the lines of "Omg, I can't believe Pitchfork gave me a 9." with an upside down screenshot of their review.

14. Ok that's funny dd. Shouldn't have deleted.

superultra and elektroxx like this.
  15. Not me being unable to buy tickets because I'm leaving Atlanta and don't know which city I'll be in this time next year.

16. I’m thinking Slayyyter in Manchester and then Aly & AJ the next day in Birmingham.
    Wow! I haven’t had it this good since that Carly and Kim week.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    lushLuck likes this.
  17. Excited to see what she does

18. Yeah I would love to go to this but I just can't bring myself to buy concert tickets a year in advance. If it's meant to be i'll find tickets closer to the date.

Wishlight, 2014, lushLuck and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.