[So-and-so] is the new Madonna. | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

[So-and-so] is the new Madonna.

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by DiscoBlue, May 9, 2009.

1. thank you... :-)

2. I'm reading that just now off someone here's recommendation. It's fascinating! I had no idea Madge was sexually assaulted, or that she was in a band before hitting the bigtime...

3. Some of the Emmy stuff is out there if you want to look for it. It's not very good.

4. Ooooh, thanks. I may check that out sometime.

5. I like to think I was named after Madonna's band (slightly different spelling). But, I'm not. Sad.

6. You've just summed up the reason why I don't like Katy - and don't see her lasting very long - better than I ever have. Her nails-down-the-blackboard voice and largely disposable musical efforts don't help either.

I see a lot of younger female artists who possess elements of what made Madonna who she is, but no-one who has the complete package (for want of a term that hasn't been drained of all meaning by the X Factor judges). Love her or hate her, she's a one-off.

7. Madonna is the new Madonna is the old Madonna. Basically.

I agree with the comments that given the current climate of the record business, no artist will ever have the chance to replicate Madonna's impact on industry. There aren't very many walls left to knock down. And her career surely serves as a template to younger artists.

Nowadays it's not enough to make a good song, you've got to get the video and image right. Lady Gaga definitely has the tunes and aesthetic down.

8. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

I think there is someone who could have as much impact on music as Madonna has over the course of her career, but it's not a female.

9. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Who do you think?

10. Oooh, do tell, Femminizer. As long as his initials aren't J.T...

11. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

It is most certainly not Justin Timberlake.

12. Clearly it's Eoghan Quigg. I thought that would have been obvious...

13. I don't think he or she is out there yet. It's too late for Kanye now.

I don't get what people mean when they say "there are no more walls to break down in music". Err. Isn't half of this forum gay for a start? There are alot of social issues that need to be addressed in pop culture, but no one does. Instead we have the likes of Katy Perry, retreading the same ideas about female sexuality that Madonna did in the 80's.

14. How old are you?

15. But what exactly do you mean, Daneeeboy? In regards to the gay thing, I'm sure Madge and Janet Jackson have done songs about HIV/Aids and society's view of homosexuality, etc. I think the gay thing's more about general social acceptance than music-related, personally.

16. That Madonna's main skill has been in representing female sexuality whilst still being somewhat of a feminist. She was highly sexualised, but not for the pleasure of men, and she's played on ideas of religion and female sexuality as recurring themes throughout her work. That's a huge part of her impact - feminism existed before Madonna, and so did hyper stylized images of sexuality, but Madonna made unapologetic female sexuality mainstream. Rolling round in a wedding dress and simulating masturbation was shocking, but it paved the way for the likes of the Spice Girls and Katy Perry.

Madonna has touched upon gay culture in her work, of course. But would it be shocking if it was two men grinding on eachother at the MTV Awards rather than Britney and a male backup dancer? Yes, for some I imagine it would be a step too far.

We're crying out for some genuine male sexuality in pop music - and whilst the gays have many more rights today, homosexuality in pop culture beyond old camp cliches is lacking.

That said, sexuality isn't the only avenue for carving out a niche in pop. It's just one obvious example off the top of my head. There will always be contemporary issues for pop to explore.

17. 26. By the time I got to know Madonna she was already well-established. And it was my teenage idols ie the Spice Girls who were naming Madonna as their idol, but that didn't mean much to me. I mean, I can see the impact she's made, but I wasn't there when it happened so it's a bit hard to understand and relate to. And her later output never impressed me enough to actually go investigate her past. I guess it's the same with Michael Jackson. I own a few records of both artists, but I'll never fully understand what made them what they are. They were already legends when I got to know them.

18. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

Kanye is exactly who I was thinking of. In terms of the whole 'social issues' thing, Kanye certainly isn't afraid to address them, and he's highly complimentary of gay men and their fashion, he's said before he looks to them for inspiration on how to dress.

I won't get into a huge argument about it though, because I'm not stupid enough to think that everyone can be convinced that Kanye is Madonna's heir. That's clearly a belief I don't expect many of you to share.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.