so many questions, so many songs unrated; the iamamiwhoami rate / THE WINNER!!! | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

so many questions, so many songs unrated; the iamamiwhoami rate / THE WINNER!!!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by eatyourself, Nov 22, 2021.

?

Which album is your favorite?

1. bounty

2. kin

3. blue

4. EVERYONE AFRAID TO BE FORGOTTEN

5. REMEMBER THE FUTURE

6. KRONOLOGI

Results are only viewable after voting.

1. it's finally my turn to do an elimination again... and it's a big one.

"you run you run
    terrified what have you done?
    is this how it goes?
    it's how it goes
    "

IN CONCERT; .

[​IMG]
    released: december 2010 | artist: iamamiwhoami | album: IN CONCERT

of the 19 voters that rated both versions,
    7 preferred this one

8.1 (8.0578) average

shadowshow (KRONOLOGI version)

[​IMG]
    released: april 2020 | artist: iamamiwhoami | album: KRONOLOGI

of the 19 voters that rated both versions,
    2 preferred this one

7.6 (7.5925) average

shadowshow (minimalist)
    combined average

(8.2775)

highest scores:
    10.00 @Wild Man. (IN CONCERT) / @andru @kal @eatyourself @MisterNovem
    9.25 @Glitterizer (KRONOLOGI)
    @cleosnatchra (IN CONCERT) / @DinahLee

lowest scores:
    5.00 @sfmartin (IN CONCERT)
    6.00 @Sleet (IN CONCERT) / 6.10 @Untouchable Ace

Glitterizer’s score: 9.25 (KRONOLOGI)

honestly i can't believe that even using a combined average with only the higher score between the two versions for each voter this essential song crashed out before the top 30 jahdfjd well at least the banger version is still in!

shadowshow
    (minimalist version) was first teased in 20101104, when jonna sang a bit of the chorus before leaving the house, and then finally performed in full as the very last song in IN CONCERT. we later found out that this was the very first song jonna and claes created for the project, but when when the concert's album was first released, the song was titled as simply ".", possibly indicating that this was a period or full stop to the project and, as we discussed previously, that was probably the case at the time, before everything changed. the song did end up marking the end of the project's story when it was released in banger form as the last track in BLUE. in the years between the first version and the final studio release, the song was also performed on tour sometimes.

i guess this is the perfect elimination to talk about IN CONCERT, the group's very first live performance, done via streaming a decade before a certain pandemic made that the norm. the format (which was not actually live) was necessary to bring to life the high concept, low budget fantasy: they basically kidnapped a fan, performed a whole sacrifice ritual to electronic music and set fire to the casket, never to be seen or heard of again.

the song... is so magnifically gothy. the organ-ish keyboard sound, the clicking beat, the fact that jonna performs it on the ashes after the whole thing is done... i personally prefer the vocodered KRONOLOGI version reminiscent of the tour performances, but both are easily 9+

eatyourself’s score: 10.00

listening to this firsthand during the first in concert was a spine-chilling moment. though the BLUE version feels like a more finalized one, this one still feels like the "OG iamamiwhoami" to me.

@sfmartin (5) (IN CONCERT) “i’m not a fan of any of the minimalist versions of this song”

@sfmartin (1.5) (KRONOLOGI) “creepy and unsettling not something i enjoy listening to. and to think of the banger it originated from.” hmm... the ballad version came first sis akdjdk

@MisterNovem (10) (IN CONCERT) “will forever be cemented in my mind. it's in it's own league, seperate from the BLUE version despite that being a 10 too.”

@andru (10) (IN CONCERT) “this version of shadowshow (and now the KRONOLOGI version) is definitive for me. a great way to close IN CONCERT and i love how dark, and slightly creepy, the combination of jonna's vocals and the keyboard sounds.”

@andru (10) (KRONOLOGI) “this feels very reminiscent of the IN CONCERT version and how it was performed live during iamamiwhoami's 2013 tour. i've always loved shadowshow, and think it's great in all its forms, but this arrangement and IN CONCERT's are definitive for me.”

@DinahLee (7) (IN CONCERT) “a little "my cassio keyboard"”

@DinahLee (9) (KRONOLOGI) “this is spooky. she's serving halloween.”

2. ok this is a little complex but I guess the studio final version is still in??

I... really did NOT expect this.

3. Yes, the BLUE version is separate.

4. the top 10 where it belongs, yeah

He, eatyourself and DinahLee like this.
  5. Hmm, not too bothered about this one crashing out. I do like shadowshow, but have always felt like I don't like it nearly as much as most fans seem to. I think the way that it was built up to as this mythical unreleased track plays into that. The BLUE version is fine, but I would never listen to it on its own in the same way I would the majority of the other tracks. I think the KRONOLOGI version can be somewhat difficult and unpleasant to listen to, and that's probably dragging down the average further here.

6. kal

kal

Both of these shadowshow versions have a special place in my heart. The IN CONCERT; performance was such a magical moment, and I remember how much we all craved this song at the time.

Then they played the studio recording at a show, and some fans recorded it & circulated the video, which only furthered my craving.

I am forever grateful that we got to hear the (original) KRONOLOGI version. It's a special moment in their discography.

Also, @sfmartin stop tanking the good songs challenge.

7. In the iamamiwhoami rate?? I guess this explains some of your BOUNTY scores!! It's all in jest but I did get goosebumps

He, BubblegumBoy, huntypoo and 5 others like this.
  8. Every version of shadowshow is flawless.

Glitterizer, andru, kal and 1 other person like this.
  9. The kronologi version is fucking awesome. Creepy-Spooky. I know it's supposed to be the same thing as "." live but... the live doesn't have the DRAMA. I guess the Metronome\Beat doesn't help, and it's basically why I said "My cassio keyboard" ddd.

The vocoder, the organ-acordeon synth... whew. I wonder how many other versions they did, since it was hinted they worked a lot to get to the Blue version.

10. [​IMG]

"gave me life on one condition
    i owe them this, i owe them vision"

JOY

[​IMG]
    released:
    february 2018 | artist: ionnalee | album: EVERYONE AFRAID TO BE FORGOTTEN

(8,2968)

highest scores:
    10.00 @huntypoo @LE0Night
    9.50 @Wild Man. @DinahLee @TéléDex

lowest scores:
    5.50 @cleosnatchra
    6.00 @Ana Raquel @Future Lover @NightmareBoy

eatyourself’s score: 9.00

JOY is track #2 on EVERYONE AFRAID TO BE FORGOTTEN and was its sixth single. the video was taken directly from the EVERYONE AFRAID... film. i don't have much to say about this one, it's a GP friendly bop that really works in a live setting, i strongly believe she made this one with the upcoming tour in mind. the lyrics seem upfront enough. oh and she performed this one on television!

glitterizer’s score: 8.25

queen of tube dresses

@kal (9) “Interestingly, I didn't like this one when it came out, but now that I'm playing it, it brings joy.”

@sfmartin (8) “Starts off sounding like something out of Tron or Blade Runner. An extended intro not dissimilar to ‘o’ from the debut. It begins pretty plodding and I'm wondering where it's all going. It doesn’t ever really lift off but it is commanding and powerful, a proper lift off for the album.”

@andru (8.5) “I think this suffers in the same way WATCHES WATCHES does for me with the verses being quite sparse compared to the chorus, but the chorus is a lot stronger here and feels more impactful so I enjoy listening to this more.”

@cleosnatchra (5.5) “Never got into this limp trap beat.”

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022

11. This should be... higher. I really think we can lose some Blue songs now.

EDIT: THAT LIVE PERFORMANCE SHE WAS FEELING IT!

LE0Night, Untouchable Ace, He and 2 others like this.
  12. I love her dumb little swaggy era dd.

13. [​IMG]

"and the battle goes on
    and the love that you had
    will be here when you are gone"

13.1.14.4.18.1.7.15.18.1.1110 (papachoo)

released: february 2010 | artist: iamamiwhoami | album: preludes

(8,3306)

highest scores:
    10.00 @MisterNovem @kal @eatyourself @Wild Man.
    9.00 @huntypoo @S_BX @AGiantSheep

lowest scores:
    5.20 @Untouchable Ace
    6.00 @NightmareBoy

eatyourself’s score: 10.00

13.1.14.4.18.1.7.15.18.1.1110, more commonly known as papachoo, is iamamiwhoami's fourth prelude which was eventually released in its finalized form, GONE. its name in numeric code translates to "mandragora", our first ever hint on what the hell was going on in these videos. its tags on youtube are wood, disciple, rodent, engender, spout, mount. not much goes on plotwise, we see the wide-eyed and fully awakened mandragora chewing down the stump of tree from which it sprouted. she sings to the camera, and then we see six dogs (a very important number up until clump) foraging in front of the house the mandragora is ultimately taken to. after a bee buzzes by to represent the "n" sound in BOUNTY, the good sis does a pussycopter on the tree stump. girlboss!

glitterizer’s score: 8.25

@sfmartin (8.5) “Ugh so good. It all works so perfectly. The visuals, the mysterious electronics.”

14. (GONE is still in, this elimination is just the prelude)

andru, He, RUNAWAY and 3 others like this.

15. FFS IT TOOK ME SOME TIME TO REALIZE AND THEN I REWATCHED TO UNDERSTAND.
    Jesus this is really took me out.

I find it so odd they really didn't use the prelude songs for Bounty and I'd love to hear the original versions of these. Like, were they literally just small verses and then turned into full songs (O, Like Hell, Gone) or were they real songs they decided to keep out of the album?

I've also wondered before if it could be lowkey problematic that she was covered in... mud(?) but looks just black. Like, I don't think it could be categorized as blackface but... yeah?

He, Glitterizer, cleosnatchra and 2 others like this.
  16. And the one I prefer. So sorry to the others I just othered.

eatyourself and Glitterizer like this.
  17. He

He

I think she just looks like dirt form when the soil is wet, from roots.

Shes not pretending to be any race, nor human.

Whatever happened to the kidnapped fan? Shootupthestation was their name, I think.

18. He was never heard of again dddd

andru, eatyourself and kal like this.
  19. He

He

Didn’t he do a remix or something?

eatyourself likes this.

20. we are past the halfway point.
    from now on almost everything is a single / has a video, and bounty, kin and BLUE will finally start to lose important songs. brace yourselves!

9.20.19.13.5.723378 (Like Hell)
    13.1.14.4.18.1.7.15.18.1.1110 (Gone)

b
    o

u-1
    u-2
    n
    t
    y
    ; john

clump

. (shadowshow)

sever
    drops
    good worker
    play

in due order
    idle talk
    rascal
    kill
    goods

fountain
    hunting for pearls
    vista
    tap your glass
    blue blue
    thin
    chasing kites

ripple
    the last dancer
    shadowshow
    dive

the deadlock

WATCHES WATCHES
    JOY

WORK
    LIKE HELL
    NOT HUMAN
    TEMPLE
    SAMARITAN
    DUNES OF SAND
    BLAZING
    SIMMER DOWN

HERE IS A WARNING
    GONE
    MEMENTO
    HARVEST
    FOLD

OPEN SEA

WIPE IT OFF
    SOME BODY
    MATTERS
    ISLANDER

REMEMBER THE FUTURE
    CRYSTAL
    RACE AGAINST
    SILENCE MY DRUM
    MYSTERIES OF LOVE
    i KEEP

down by the lake
    telesvar
    violent playground
    paramount
    swallow

MACHINEE

ANYWHERE i ROAM

summer never ended...

GENESARETS SJÖ

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.