Songs about/relating to enjoying your own company | The Popjustice Forum

Songs about/relating to enjoying your own company

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Inland Empire, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

Yes, very specific thing to be asking for songs about. But I often need a reminder that it's okay to be alone sometimes, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I've started a playlist of songs that fit into this topic, and I'd really like to discover more.

2. I'm trying to think about songs that don't fall into the "I don't need no man, I buy my own ring etc" theme and it's quite hard.

Maybe Banks - Fuck With Myself ? Even if that's more about #haterz etc

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

3. (There's also a cover by the Donnas if you'd prefer female vocals!)

For some reason Robyn's Get Myself Together comes to mind but it's not quite what you're after. Same with a handful of songs from Xtina's Stripped (Cruz, The Voice Within).

Britney's Touch of My Hand and Divinyls' I Touch Myself if you need any songs about masturbating.

And yes to Banks - Fuck With Myself!

Inland Empire and Verandi like this.
  4. Yes to The Donnas version. Isn't this song somehow supposed to be about wanking??

If so, add Cyndi's She Bop to the list.

Inland Empire likes this.
  5. It's a good topic for a playlist. There's not enough songs like that that don't really fall into the sorta generic 'don't need a man' songs.

Here's a few random ones I thought of that are sort of 'solo self/care self/empowerment songs'

This one may be a bit odd, but it's one of my favorite 'I just want to be alone' songs.

6. Voice of the Beehive 'Monsters and Angels':

I'm nobody's wife, and I'm nobody's baby
    I like it that way, but then again... maybe

I'm nobody's Valentine and I'm nobody's pearl
    When you get right down to it I always seem to find just... some girl

I'm nobody's promise and I'm nobody's chore
    And I ain't got nobody that I feel I gotta live for

I'm nobody's work and I'm nobody's company
    And every time I turn around I always seem to find
    Just me

7. This is probably more a 'don't try to crack on to me' song, but some of the lyrics fit.

Just because I sit alone don't mean I'm free

8. ...Ooh-wooo-ooo-ooo-oooooh

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  9. Chesney Hawkes the one and only

10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I am certain I know some, just drawing a blank right now. Will be back.

slaybellz and Inland Empire like this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Okay, if you’re not a country fan hear me out. I like The Long Way Around for this theme because it celebrates not being in step with your peers and embracing your own journey. Also, it’s not centered around self-love as masturbation- which is fine, but I can easily see all your recs going there.

12. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

[​IMG]

13. Ray

Ray

14. Granted, it means "all alone" as in "single" - the verses are about rebuffing suitors' advances - but if you take the chorus out of context, it would work. The questionable English translation is probably a better fit, actually:

(attn: @Island)

15. A 4-pack in the fridge, a good book on the shelf...

16. Diver is a little more of a stretch, but the 'I wanna be a diver...' verse might fit what you're looking for.

17. A few of my favorites that more or less tap into that vibe. Liability is obviously a bit sad, but the lyrics are also very self-affirming in parts. Alaska & Mine make me feel strong, even when I'm alone.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.