Songs that stop. And start again. | The Popjustice Forum

Songs that stop. And start again.

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by JonBcn, Nov 16, 2018.

1. I’m trying to make a playlist of songs that really get going once you think they’re over. Not sure what the technical term for that is, and I don’t mean half a bar’s pause and then a key change, or ‘And IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII…’, which is probably a really good example but is a song I don’t ever need to hear again.

My favourites are probably ‘Breathe Me’ by Sia, and a song I’ve been listening to a lot this year - ‘Rebel Heart’ by First Aid Kit, both of which stop for a second and then blossom into something beautiful. But then there’s also songs like ‘I’ve Been Losing You’ by a-Ha, or ‘Information’ by Eliot Sumner, which are basically groovy outros…

I bet someone I could come up with at least 20 of these, but now I'm struggling. All good suggestions welcome!

2. edit - oh, it pays to read the opening post. I thought you meant songs that literally stop and then start again (although, technically, this one doesn't even do that... but the backing music does).

JonBcn and berserkboi like this.
  3. Little Birdy - Six Months In A leaky boat

JonBcn likes this.
  4. Tove Styrke - On A Level basically goes stop and start around five times during the choruses.
    Sugababes - Favourite Song

I'm sure others will come to my mind later.

JonBcn and Old Untouchable Ace like this.
  5. Does Stone Roses 'I am the resurrection' count? It sounds like it's finished doesn't exactly stop but kind of ends then really gets going. See also Prince's 'Alphabet Street'.

JonBcn likes this.
  6. the obvious answer...

Lander, Daniel_O, Island and 7 others like this.
  7. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Daniel_O and JonBcn like this.
  8. I should just stop

There's nothing you can do or say

BA-BY

9. Does the first 10 seconds of First Time count?

10. Kylie - Heartbeat Rock? It’s not a long pause but it’s a pause.

11. Have Fun Again by Diana Ross from the Diana album. It fades out and then comes back in again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.