Sony BMG to stop producing music DVD's | The Popjustice Forum

Sony BMG to stop producing music DVD's

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by bertie, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Fantastic - shite quality website clips and tv 'specials' full of adverts. Record companies profits nicely unaffected though, so that's okay.

2. That's really rubbish. I love a physical DVD - a momento of a live concert. Hope it doesn't deter Madonna from releasing a Confessions Tour Live DVD (I was so close I couldn't get the full effect - What a complaint to have to make!)

3. What a load of old tosh!

I love having a concert on DVD, you do lose some of the atmosphere but it's nice to see the concert from different angle's, especially as I was also in tom71's position with the Madonna concert.

Im still bloody waiting for Sony to release all of Michael Jackson's tours on DVD. I cant believe he only has ONE!!!!

4. They better release the Back to Basics tour on DVD first

Then they can stop making music DVDs

5. I really do hope that's not affecting the American division. Music DVDs are great. Watching a taped concert online just isn't the same as seeing one on a big screen with a decent sound system, which doesn't quite capture the live experience, but is way better at it than a little YouTube screen and crappy headphones.

6. Steve

Steve Guest

I wondered why P!nk's live concert had taken so long to come here.

7. Fair's fair though - we can harp on all we want, but no-one buys them. I'm amazed every time I look at the breakdown on the music DVD chart. To get in the top 40 you need to sell about 300 copies in a week. Hardly profitable is it?

I hate this attitude that record labels should continue to manufacture products that no-one is buying. It's not a god given right you know. If no-one's buying them, why produce them?

8. Music DVDs were always shit though. How often do you want to sit down and watch an entire collection of 3 min vid clips? Music, especially concert footage,is much more suited to on demand and downloadable material, and with the home cinema market merging with the web it'll be the only way of doing things in future.

I don't want wait an hour to see the music vid I want to see on MTV if I can just request it and stream it directly to the telly. And I don't want to see a concert 9 months after it took place as the artist is releasing a whole new slew of music, I'd rather watch it a week after it took place.

9. I think that's a terrible idea! The people who buy the DVD's are the more loyal fans, so sure...I suppose it's not normally a huge market but I think getting rid of them is taking something very big and very important away from that fanbase. It's not a big seller but was it ever really?

Yet another reason why I don't like Sony....glad most of the artists I like have gotten away from that thing.

And I totally disagree that they are shit. I cherish mine. ( I think that's the point of them though...you either *love* them and adore them..are don't give a crap at all..no middle of the road) If I can sit down right now and watch an Nsync concert if I feel like..then...it's a beautiful thing..and I've caused bodily harm to anyone coming between me and my Savage Garden DVD...

10. The original poster is talking about concert DVDs, not music videos.

A lot of people would, I think, want a physical copy of a concert they had been to and thoroughly enjoyed.  I certainly would.

Apparently the top of the DVDs list has sold about 4,000 copies in total. I know for a fact that my favourite sold 17,000 copies in the first week.

11. I think it's more likely that we'll get bonus DVDs with full-price albums in the future.

12. I think you are right.

13. I'd always heard that music DVDs sales were booming and well in the way of overpowering CDs. I'm amazed at the speed with wich the music market is evolving.

14. Why can't they just release a smaller amount if they're not selling so well? Or just sell them online. Seems a bit drastic.

It's criminal that the "Bad" tour remains in the vaults.

15. As long as the Bucks Fizz complete singles discography 'I See Talk' gets released that's all that matters...

16. Well it's all down to the success of youtube isn't it?

I can see a day when the music industry dies and people just make their own music and videos.

17. Do you have a source for this? I haven't seen any stories in the press, or any news releases from Sony, to back this up...

18. Is this an official announcement, or is it in response to an enquiry for a DVD release for Will's tour Bertie. If it is I can understand you being peeved.

19. vasilios

vasilios Guest

I think it's just a bitter Will Young fan that started this thread because his tour won't be released as a dvd.

20. You might think that the OP is bitter but there can be implications for all SonyBMG artists.   Here is the original reply received from Ged Doherty, CEO of SonyBMG.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.