#soon! Part Un - The 60s-00s Girl Band Debut Breakthrough Rate

I won't lie, I like it. It's a bop. Whenever they play this song in a party I do the dance
giphy.gif

Whew, this turned out to be more work than anticipated - and I'm only two decades down. Better pause for a moment and give you the half-time score, in a few installments to fit the embedding limits:

The Exciters – Tell Him
The Ronettes - Be My Baby
Martha & The Vandellas - Heathwave
Those songs might be better represented by proper audio:

Also, in The Exciters' case, what about eligibility? They seem to have an indisputable guy singer in their ranks (even though he isn't performing much on this particular song)...

londonrain

Staff member
Also, in The Exciters' case, what about eligibility? They seem to have an indisputable guy singer in their ranks (even though he isn't performing much on this particular song)...
That one is my fault. "Tell Him" was listed as one of the 100 Greatest Girl Group Songs of All Time by Billboard, so I suggested to @berserkboi that it was worthy of inclusion.

The Exciters were originally an all-female group and released their first single, "Follow The Leader", with only women on the track, but then one of the women (Sylvia Wilbur) was replaced by Penny Carter, who was then replaced by Herb Rooney before "Tell Him" was released. I didn't spot that Herb joined before "Tell Him" and not after, and obviously neither did Billboard!

In Heart's case, your live video might actually be even better than the single:

...BUT again, what about eligibility? I know I always considered them a mixed band, not just a coupla girl singers with a backing band.

Oh, and do I detect a touch of nepotism in inclusion of Peaches hehe? See, Clout's version of the same cover song was actually a much bigger worldwide hit:
Clout's first and biggest hit, "Substitute", was a new arrangement of a The Righteous Brothers song, composed by Willie Wilson. In 1978, their version reached No. 1 in South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Sweden, Austria, Denmark and Belgium. It also reached No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart and remained in the UK charts for 15 weeks
And funnily enough, even locally:
A version by Australian group Peaches also charted locally at the same time, but was out-charted by the Clout track.

I always did like the South African version even better:

londonrain

Staff member
In Heart's case, your live video might actually be even better than the single:

...BUT again, what about eligibility? I know I always considered them a mixed band, not just a coupla girl singers with a backing band.

This one was probably my fault again. The '70s section was a bit short of superstar girl groups that voters were likely to have heard of, and the inclusion of Heart added a bit of genre diversity as well (most of the all-girl rock and punk bands @berserkboi and I discussed were a bit short of top 20 hits!) I see Ann and Nancy Wilson as being very much the centre of that group - especially as the only original members left - but yes, I know what you mean.

This is the song we ditched in favour of Heart:

Oh, and do I detect a touch of nepotism in inclusion of Peaches hehe? See, Clout's version of the same cover song was actually a much bigger worldwide hit:
That one was all @berserkboi. There had to be some Australian bands, after all...

Last edited:
It's kinda fascinating on its own to realize that there was such a dearth of (successful) girl groups in the 70s. The 60s were packed with them, so were the 90s, and there were still quite a few in the 80s. But that list of 70s girl groups is rough.

A UK #19 hit from a one-hit wonder didn’t exactly stack up against some of the behemoths from the other eras...
oh I know i know, i just wanted to vocalize my support for the underdog...

BUT while we're talking shop, you might seriously want to reconsider that huuuge hit from Baccara -- especially if you were already so short on big nominees that you had to resort to including a mixed band, hmm?

Well, outside of this list there was of course Spain's Baccara, whose debut single "reached number one across much of Europe and became the best-selling single of all-time by a female group, eventually selling more than 18 million copies worldwide." #1 even in the UK, mind...

Yes indeed, and the song was even written by some fellow Germans! I guess that a #1 in the UK could be reason for qualification for this rate, but that is up to @berserkboi and @londonrain of course.

Interestingly, those Baccara ladies hated Spain's previous chart-topping female duo - and my personal favourites - Las Grecas, who were street-wise compared to the wishy-washy disco barbies, hehe...

Last edited by a moderator: