Who here was expecting we would be losing TLC
before the top 30? Certainly not me! In saying that though, the girls are getting a great deal of exposure around PopJustice
these days, featuring here and a great deal on the 90s #1s rates
. I have to say though despite giving this song a 9.1 as a score, their best is found elsewhere (go vote fro them in the 90s rate!).
Ain’t 2 Proud 2 Beg
serves you attitude in spades, despite the girls taking a more plaintive persona in the song’s message (‘begging’ for sex from their significant other) – they deliver charisma, charm and individuality in abundance. Before the Spice Girls
defined each member through a persona – you had TLC
(standing for T-Boz
, Lisa ‘Left-Eye’ Lopez
for the uninitiated) capturing that air of each member being very distinct in their sound and what they individually brought to create a solid united front. This would become more and more obvious as they developed their sound and refined this amazing formula. Ain’t 2 Proud 2 Beg
delivers in establishing the flavour of TLC
which remaining edgy and gritty in its unpolished nature, but as they develop and refine the effect –you would end up with tracks like the sublime Unpretty, Waterfalls
or Dear Lie
(which Ain’t 2 Proud 2 Beg
isn’t quite on the level of).
Ain’t 2 Proud 2 Beg
was written by Dallas Austin
and Lisa Left-Eye Lopez
, it earned them a Grammy
in 1993 for best R&B song. It peaked at #6 on the Billboard charts and was quite the breakthrough for the girls. The Album it is from ( Ooooooohhh... On the TLC Tip
) has also sold over 6 million copies worldwide and is only the third most successful album by TLC (showing truly what a powerhouse act they are). The music video has glimpses of the early 90s fashion and would look quite at home in a Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air
episode. The girls play a little on this with their quirky childlike oversized outfits and props while promoting a message of Safe Sex (which they would continue in later videos also). TLC have always had a very well established social conscience, but were never too on the nose with it due to the playfulness or serious empowerment they would go for – demonstrating the appeal of both ideas on several occasions.
have achieved such a great deal throughout their career, it could take 10 pages to go through it all so here are just a few highlights for you. With 65 million record sale
, they are the best-selling American girl group and are second worldwide only to the Spice Girls
(more on them very soon). VH1
ranks TLC as the greatest female group of all time and they were also #12 on the list of 100 Greatest Women in Music. Their album CrazySexyCool
remains the only album by a female group to receive a diamond certification in America. They were honoured for their outstanding contribution to music at the 17th MOBO Awards
As you are most likely well aware, with Lisa Left-Eye Lopez’ passing, TLC continue as a duo (Left-Eye is certainly irreplaceable) and still tour together. They released an album that is dubbed their final one last year but have confirmed they are still active. As you can probably see from this write-up, I absolutely adore these girls – and the tragic death of the amazingly talented Left-Eye still brings tears to my eyes. I will leave it here and go to our panel of esteemed voters!
(7) acknowledges the qualities
- One of the biggest 90's girl groups with attitude and high production. Tech: 5 Taste: 2 = 7 points. Kermit_The_Frog
(8) best start dropping names for consideration for the signature round in part 2, I have too many also!
- Not my favourite song (they have around 5 x easy 11s in their canon) but still pretty damn wonderful. Further Listening: Silly Ho
(6) is being cute
- May need to beg for some more points... Filippa
(7) is not against all R&B afterall and gives credit where due (at least)
- This is not my cup of tea. But the song has a good rhythm, I love their voices - I somehow love those girls! Trouble In Paradise
(5.5) has other favourites
- Definitely not TLC’s best song. It lacks their ear for melody and the charisma of their best deliveries Empty Shoebox
(4) was expecting something else…
- Hang on, this isn't a cover of the Temptations song? I'm surprised. However, it is that early 90's R & B that I just never got on with. I don't want to upset the fans any further so I'll just say that I don't like it.
(6.5) recognises C.U.N.T is still in infancy stages
- Good attitude, weakish hook. Just like En Vogue, not super representative of the heights they'd reach a short while later. Iheartpoptarts
(7) clocks the fashion!
- I think everything early 90s is Fresh Prince of Bel Air like I think everything 80s is Saved by the Bell. Unnameable
(3) is being oddly shady
! - thank you for making me relive this.