Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Familia | Page 46 | The Popjustice Forum

Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Familia

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by ssa, Jan 14, 2016.

1. UNREQUITED IS AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD ON ITUNES!

Island likes this.
  2. OH MY GOD! LOVING THE HAUNTING MELODY.

"nothing hurts as much, nothing hurts like love unrequited"

Island likes this.
  3. For those of you living on the wrong side of the sun (lol) and haven't heard the song yet, here are the lyrics

Long back I had a vision about you
    So tender, we loved 'til the end of our days
    And it pulls at my heart
    As it has from the start
    Now ain't that craziest thing

Nothing hurts as much
    Nothing hurts like love unrequited
    But its such a vivid love
    Such a vivid love in my mind

Nothing hurts as much
    I can't let it lie

Tell me, how can you say that its over
    As long as I'm breathing I know that there must be a chance
    So I'll keep holding on
    Though the pain carries on
    Now ain't that craziest thing

Nothing hurts as much

Nothing hurts as much
    I can't let it lie

and then Matthew Caws sings a 2 line bridge and sings the final chorus with Sophie.

Guitar, Piano, Violins and subdued drums. And Sophie's vocals floating over it all. Its a beautiful mid-tempo; the melody is definitely Mexican/Spanish. Sophie sounds lovely. Its definitely recorded in live and in one-take.

EDIT - Caws' vocals would probably annoy some people - especially those who were annoyed with Andy Boyd's vocals on 'The Walls Keep Saying Your Name'. Similar situation here, similar conversational type of lyric... "you keep telling yourself there's a future now, but its over now, so walk out the darkness, discern (?) your own in the light". Maybe Ed's vocals would have sounded better on the song??

EDIT - the violins from the making-of video are a part of this song. The harmonica isn't.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Island likes this.
  4. It's not available in Poland, what a fuckery.

Deer Stop likes this.
  5. Heard the album last night and the ballad Crystallise is probably in the top ten things she's ever done. Total wide-screen beauty. Get ready.

6. Uno

Uno

Sophie has always been queen of ballads.

kaushik and Island like this.
  7. Do you remember how many upbeat numbers are on the album?

8. Island

Island Staff Member

Does it hold up to Wanderlust?

9. I might have missed something, but who's Caws?

10. Matthew Caws is the lead singer of Nada Surf. We knew he was featured on the track from the official biography.

Ah yes! I knew it the first time I heard that live performance. I hope its Young Blood levels-amazing!

Island and michielVmusic like this.
  11. You know what, even Unrequited has a driving beat. Its just subdued by the lush violins. If Unrequited gets the Freemasons treatment, it'll be tears-on-the-floor anthem.

AndrewX likes this.
  12. That sounds great! I hope this time they remix the album. I think that it is quite possible since we got an F9 remix of Come With Us. Stranger things have happened.

13. Island

Island Staff Member

The song is beautiful. The song is so lush and smooth. Love the way she says tender. Tendaahh.

kaushik likes this.
  14. Unrequited has quite the western feel right? I feel like it wouldn't sound out of place in a Tarantino film, maybe Kill Bill.

kaushik likes this.
  15. Unrequited's production reminds me of her version of Jolene I always wanted Sophie to have an original song in the same style and finally it's happened.

ssa, kaushik and Island like this.
  16. Island

Island Staff Member

It's utterly gorgeous.

Fuck the reviews.

Nunya B, AndrewX and kaushik like this.
  17. +1.

Island likes this.
  18. Hahaha, let's all get the 'rare, unsigned one'. I won't listen to Unrequited ,I'm quite comfortable with waiting another week for the full thing (and then another week for the signed deluxe to arrive and sit with my signed deluxe Wanderlust). If she tours again, I'll also ask for another business trip to London to see her.

19. I remember some time back when I assumed Come With Us was the 'exception' on the album being the only overtly disco number and being slated here for that... Now, from the Q review, it looks like I was right. But I don't understand why this should be a problem. Come With Us, as lovely as it might be, pales in comparison to her previous disco anthems. (Ed is obviously not comfortable with disco)
    Whereas I am completely sure there will be some wonderful gems on the album, probably the ballads and mid-tempos. I for one am very happy she kept the Wanderlust vibe, spicing things up a bit.
    It's either a full-blown pop-disco album or a more conceptual and arty work, for me. I don't think I would like a middle-ground work with no clear identity.
    I am very excited for this album. I suspect it will be stunning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.