Sophie Ellis-Bextor - "Hypnotized" + 7th Album | Page 9 | The Popjustice Forum

Sophie Ellis-Bextor - "Hypnotized" + 7th Album

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by kaushik, Jan 13, 2022.

1. They would sound great together - especially now that Jack's gone a bit disco.

Hypnotized (the original version) is brilliant! I can't wait for the music video.

blaze_dave likes this.
  2. I’m with you, I absolutely love this too.

blaze_dave likes this.
  3. I love this song, it's just fun and the chrous is so catchy.

4. I’m with you

ruffdriverz and blaze_dave like this.
  5. The comments seem to indicate it is this utter bop

poshbabyyy, kaushik and New Flame like this.
  6. Random, I'd love to hear her voice in this song. She has been giving us a lot these last few years, but giving us actual new music is still the best. I hope we'll get more info about the 7th album soon.

7. According to this interview she just cowrote Late Night:
    https://webcache.googleusercontent....retti-1.7896449/amp+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=it

"Se nell’originale c’erano ospiti come Nile Rodgers e John Oates, in questo ‘encore’ avuto modo di lavorare in ‘Late night’, un pezzo dal sapore molto italo disco Anni 70-80, con una mia delle mie cantanti preferite, Sophie Ellis-Bextor".

Maybe that's what the confusion comes from?

8. Thanks for confirming.. but where are these "comments". I just did a google search for Jack Savoretti Sophie Ellis-Bextor Europiana Italy and all the results seemed to point to that show they were on together.

9. on Jack's socials. In the comments I have seen a few people talking about Sophie being the special guest that Jack teased.

10. Have there been any updates on when Plastic Pop Records plans to ship their expanded CD editions of Sophie's albums?

11. I wonder if Jack actually teased a version with Sophie on it.

EDIT: here's the link to the post where he mentions his "very very very special guest". He should really just release this digitally!
    [​IMG]

Here's the google translated post. He only mentions that he has worked with her. I wonder if there is a duet version of this song. Late Night was a nice number (although I was hoping for Mea Culpa)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022

12. Exclusive look at the music video on Lorainne’s show

Mvnl, SlowBurn, poshbabyyy and 9 others like this.
  13. The way this was filmed literally across the road from me and I was so tempted to nip out on the off chance of bumping into her. No idea why I didn’t tbh.

14. I'm interested in what others make of Sophie's appearance on Jack's Late Night. It's a cracking song and the duet sounds like it works wonderfully, but my vinyl copy sounds horribly distorted, and I'm quite sure the pirate radio circa 1983 sound is not intended. It could well be my shoddy record player, hence interested if it's just my copy / record player or others are hearing the same.

kaushik likes this.
  15. That's interesting, because Jack mentioned that this was deliberately 90s sounding - does the duet version sound very different from the album version? Are there new lyrics?

16. These little flickers of life between Hypnotized and the Jack Savoretti co-write / duet are reminding me of that strange period pre-Trip the Light Fantastic. I shouldn’t set my expectations for album 7 that high but…

Verandi, ssa, New Flame and 5 others like this.
  17. The video looks great. Just from that snippet, you get emotions, facial expressions, hand choreography,... .

Mvnl, Robbietoxic and selectual like this.
  18. Oh she’s serving Sean Young right there.

19. Let's not forget... there's a Betty Boo duet as well.

For those of you who are curious, a generous fan shared a rough phone recording of the Jack x Sophie duet. And it is STELLAR! Sophie harmonises with Jack on many parts and both their voices work so well. All of Sophie's dance-pop fans (and every Radio 2 listener) will thoroughly enjoy this duet. So, I hope this is released digitally at some point. But to be fair, and I'm not saying this just because I'm a SEB fan, this version should be a single! Also, if the Betty Boo duet is anything like this, we're in for a treat!

We should petition for this to be released a single! Where's the Trip and Scene army?

Here are short descriptions with the lyrics styled for Sophie, Jack, Sophie and Jack

Some chopped up and looped atmospheric vocals by Sophie begin with the instrumental
    I dedicate tonight to you and to me
    It's clear in my mind, no sunlight, no sleep
    A sky full of diamonds, our song on repeat
    We sing along to every word, never miss a beat

Sophie's using a breathy falsetto tone here, except that last bit where she's using her full-throat vocals. This bit is resembles a call-and-response-type of delivery
    Don't hold back (don't hold back)
    Just let go (just let go)
    Can we live this life forever?
    (live this life forever)

Sophie is harmonising in these bits with Jack. The bit where Sophie enunciates "ave-new" and Jack pronounces it as "ave-enu" made me smile! She's brings her distinct style to this song.
    Late night
    The stars are shining brighter for you
    Late night
    Driving down the avenue

I can't get enough of you
    Take my breath away
    I just want to stay in the late night
    In the late night
    Late night
    In the late night

Wide awake dreaming, don't let it in
    So many possibilities around the bend

That "foreveeeer" bit reminds me of Sophie dragging syllables like she did on New York City Lights.
    Don't hold back (don't hold back)
    Just let go (just let go)
    Can we live this life forever?
    (live this life foreveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer)

Late night
    (aah-uh-huh) The stars are shining brighter for you
    Late night
    Driving down the avenue

Take my breath away
    In the late night
    Late night
    In the late night

Sophie's doing some background support vocal here. She's almost mewing the "oooh" at the end of the middle-8. It sounds like she's using her falsetto here, but I could be wrong. The recording wasn't very clear.
    Get lost with you
    (late night, late night)
    You and me get lost in the late night
    (late night, the stars are shining brighter)
    Get lost with you
    (late night, late night)
    You and me get lost in the late night
    (late night the stars are shining brighter for youuuuuu)
    oooooh-oooh-oo-ooh

Late night
    The stars are shining brighter for you
    (the stars are shining brighter for you)
    Late night
    Driving down the avenue
    Take my breath away
    In the late night
    Late night
    I just want to stay

In the late night
    (in the late night)
    In the late night

This bit is beautiful with both of them doing various bits. There's also some "oooh"s in the background by Sophie
    Get lost with you
    (Late night...)
    I just want to stay in the late night (Late night)
    In the late night
    (I just wanna stay in...)
    Get lost with you

The song fades with Sophie repeating...
    Late night
    Late night
    I just want to say

20. "Hypnotized" video premieres tomorrow:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.