Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Make A Scene | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Make A Scene

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by kaushik, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. debord

debord Guest

Re: Sophie Ellis-Bextor - 4th album (this September) NOT GH ALBUM!!

The presence of a couple of commercial singles doesn't make the album 'very pop' in my opinion, and that's what I said.

And as I said, she didn't write the music in theaudience so I don't think it particularly says anything about what kind of music she's interested in and certainly shouldn't be held against her.

2. moorje

moorje Guest

I didn't say moving away from the sound of theaudience was a bad thing though. As much as I hated her at the time, Take Me Home was irresistible.
    It's only now that I can go back and listen to her duet with the Manics and not want to self harm. I almost like it now.

3. debord

debord Guest

Wow I had COMPLETELY forgotten about that Manics duet! I used to be a MASSIVE Manics fan. I'm talking getting dressed up in tiara and boa and slapping on the make up.

4. Dewi

Dewi Guest

That interview was vague.

A couple of questions about music and the rest about her personal life. I like Sophie but I only care about an actual CD coming out.

If she's only got about 5 songs it doesn't sound that likely that she'll double that at least by September time.

And even if it is ready, like with Catch You they'll probably end up saying 'best to wait until January for the single'

I want a new album and an all out dance collab album but I just dont see it happening this fast to be honest.

5. moorje

moorje Guest

Haha, I caught one of their initmate dates on their warm up for their recent 'Send Away The Tigers' tour, was brilliant seeing the fans in leopard print, smudged make-up and ripped fishnet tights...and that was just the men!
    Black Holes for The Young was conspicuous by its absence on their Lipstick traces bsides album. She couldn't do worse than working with them again. Get that old organ out!

6. Re: Sophie Ellis-Bextor - 4th album (this September) NOT GH ALBUM!!

Oh i definitely agree with you on that one. Sophie did have an attitude which she has gotten rid of over the years. She's more mature now. And that attitude has really come in handy for her. She's bold and can face any situation without fear. It turned out to be good that she was a real bitch back in her teen years.

You're kinda contradicting your own statement moorje. You said you liked her singles. She's got 10 solo singles, and all of them are brilliant. Its a different issue that 10+2 songs is too little for a GH album, but if she wanted to, she could've always put in her 4 theaudience singles and Groovejet, that would have made a great GH and fans would love the bonus disc she had in mind.

True, RML minus GOY and MGTBOM would be more electro and dull. I think her whole pop image came up with the re-release. The transition from indie to disco-pop is definitely not a common thing. There's absolutely no link between those two genres. Yet somehow Sophie does them both. In her own words, she doesn't really fit in to one category. She does a bit of disco and a bit of indie. She's stuck in between.

It was offered to Sophie ONLY. On the other hand, for the Manics duet, they had other artists in mind, Sophie was just lucky to get on their song. And it helped her rise to fame (i shouldn't really be saying 'fame'...it helped her get a little more public exposure)

Why do you keep saying that? Of course she did. She co-wrote many songs on the 2nd album which wasn't released. Although, some of the tracks surfaced a few years ago. "Day and Night" is one of them which she co-wrote. In my opinion, that song is more poppish than indie.. "So Clever" as well.

In my opinion, Sophie's just stuck between indie and disco. She just does a random mixture of both and calls it pop. And that fits just right for her. Her latest album showcased the classic combination of both and that appealed to most fans. And i think she should just stick with that on the new album, maybe improvise a bit, but not change her genre. I cant imagine Sophie with heavy guitaring (like Avril) or doing a rap (like Lady Sovereign).. she should just do what she's doing and spice things up a little bit. Put a bit of soul into her songs, maybe even a bit of rnb/hip hop. And a lot more trance. And definitely guitars (especially like the guitaring in DEAR JIMMY. That song was amazing!!)

7. vasilios

vasilios Guest

You need help!

8. Re: Sophie Ellis-Bextor - 4th album (this September) NOT GH ALBUM!!

what color pills to SEB fans get to calm their enthusiasm?

people do see the good in what sophie has done and what she might do ... she just needs to work harder ... cancelling tours is all well and good when you have a real excuse, but really, she needs to get real and play smaller venues and connect with the few fans she has ... i saw here at the queens hall in eidnburgh when RML was out and she was on an uphill battle with an audience (yes, i know) of about 250 ... she needs to do clubs that hold about 100 and make the thing seem more intimate ... yes it is mroe work but if she doesn't want a real job she needs to put in the work.

9. debord

debord Guest

Well writing for an album that was never released is a bit of a moot point, no? And they had to write the songs for that because the songwriter left after the first album!

10. Re: Sophie Ellis-Bextor - 4th album (this September) NOT GH ALBUM!!

Really pleased to hear that there will be another album before the GH. It just makes more sense. Though am worried that she says she is going to leave the dance pop stuff behind afterwards. What new direction might she be going in. I hope she doesn't go all 'alternative'.

11. Re: Sophie Ellis-Bextor - 4th album (this September) NOT GH ALBUM!!

Although, i'd love to see a duet with Dan (from The Feeling) on the new album. I'm quite sure she won't do that though. Or maybe one with Gwen Stefani. Sophie has always wanted to duet with a lady. And she likes Gwen. She can do a duet with her....

[/quote]

I think it'd be great for her to do a duet! I love Sophie, and her songs! Would be good to shake things up a bit.

12. debord

debord Guest

Given the performance of The Feeling's current album, I don't think a duet with him would really do much to boost her career.

13. Re: Sophie Ellis-Bextor - 4th album (this September) NOT GH ALBUM!!

Thats also true... She should probably do two duets - one with Dan cos she's fond of him, and one with Mika, cos he's famous (at least, he was).... but i'm pretty sure she wouldn't do one. I wonder what the album would be like though with a duet.... SFTH with Andy on it was a pleasant surprise. She should have had the least courtesy to feature him on the song title. That way she's a little hopeless. And she never has a thank you in her CD sleeves. But yea...anyway....

14. Re: Sophie Ellis-Bextor - 4th album (this September) NOT GH ALBUM!!

a duet or a cover version would be good if she was putting out a greatest hits.

but . . .. maybe she should do a bonus cd/download only ep (when the new lp surfaces) of covers like: fame, boys and girls, hey mickey, crying at the discotech et al.

personally i'd like to see her record an old bananarama demo: be my lover tonight or i'm waiting or blue skies.... maybe.

15. Re: Sophie Ellis-Bextor - 4th album (this September) NOT GH ALBUM!!

Ooh..yes a cover of "Crying At The Discotheque" and "Fame" please... but i dont think she'll do it. She's got enough left over material that will make one good album. So she's not going to do it. And for all you know, she'll end up recording new material and change her mind again :S :(

16. Re: Sophie Ellis-Bextor - 4th album (this September) NOT GH ALBUM!!

Bring on the fourth album!! Who needs GHs really?!

17. Re: Sophie Ellis-Bextor - 4th album (this September) NOT GH ALBUM!!

I'm sure the record company are saying something similar... only they're probably saying "Who needs Hs really?"

I can't help feeling oddly fearful every time I see that there's a new post in this thread. I love SE-B and I love her music and all, but there are about a hundred million ways for this project to derail itself completely and maybe three ways for this to all come out well. I'm eager to hear new material, but I'm not going to lie: I am extremely dubious about her prospects as a commercial artist. I don't know what it is (I know that quite often people will jump to decry her material as being terrible but I really REALLY don't think it is so let's put that aside for the moment) but I just have a sneaking suspicion that even if this album does see the light of day things will still go terribly wrong.

18. Re: Sophie Ellis-Bextor - 4th album (this September) NOT GH ALBUM!!

Are you deaf? 'Off And On' is the best Dennis-penned track since 'Toxic'.

19. Re: Sophie Ellis-Bextor - 4th album (this September) NOT GH ALBUM!!

Surely she wouldn't release a Roisin reject as a first single, especially since the Roisin version will blatantly be superior.

20. tommie

tommie Guest

I really don't agree - I can easily see why it was left off...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.