Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Songs From The Kitchen Disco | Page 45 | The Popjustice Forum

Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Songs From The Kitchen Disco

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by popdorian, Mar 25, 2020.

1. mAdonNA iS knOwN fOr NOt aLloWwIng CoVERs!!1!

londonrain, mpl, Wishlight and 2 others like this.
  2. It’s a pretty solid singles collection! And she did mention it was a collection of singles plus a few covers. I was really excited about the unreleased songs - but I guess she didn’t have the rights to any of them. Which is sad!

Crying At The Discotheque is really nice. This plus Groovejet 2020 is what I’m looking forward to on the album. Hopefully the Pulp cover is in higher quality than the YouTube version, because I’ll happily include it with the other b-sides and rarities collection.

I don’t understand why she included a live version of True Faith when she could have just included the other version she already released.

Robbietoxic and Deer Stop like this.
  3. Rihanna (Fashion Rocks 2008) <3

Atletico likes this.
  4. Cheaper to licence.

Wishlight, lushLuck and kaushik like this.
  5. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Mad'house's Like A Prayer sacrilege???????? I sensed it and came to fight as fast as I could!!!!

6. Not an expert in this.. but whilst usually you don't need permission to put out a cover of a previously released song, the publishers can object if you change it too much. Like you can do a straight note-for-note cover but if they can argue you've changed it enough to make it a derivative work, they can say no.

I haven't heard the missing covers in question though! Did she change them at all?

londonrain likes this.
  7. Island

Island Staff Member

Poor Madonna having to sit through all the Star Academy acts covering her songs that day she appeared on the show during the Confessions era ddd.

Kinda Iconic.

mpl, Stuart, Wishlight and 5 others like this.
  8. I’ll never understand why Madonna allowed Mad’house to do anything

9. It's.... Sophie Ellis Bextor. It's literally note for note karaoke.

10. Another thing to consider is that by prioritising songs she's written/co-written, she gets a bigger chunk of the songwriting royalties!

topopMAC1 and Mvnl like this.
  11. Yeah I've just listened to Like A Prayer and Our House. There can't have been any problem with those..

It's possible the default for certain people is to say "no" even if they have no grounds to, and people are too scared to defy them in case they are taken to court?

12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Just so I can look them up on Youtube without watching 20 performances of Murder On The Dancefloor: does anyone have a list of all covers she did (I'm sure it's been posted here but can't find it)

lushLuck likes this.
  13. Gutted that I Won't Change You isn't included.

14. After hearing the new song, and having not really followed Sophie for a long time, I listened to her debut this evening. It has really stood the test of time hasn't it? I need to delve further into her discography, as other than the debut, and subsequent singles I'm not massively familiar with her work despite her 2002 tour being the first concert I ever went to!

Deer Stop, kaushik and Mvnl like this.
  15. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

This one's the one

16. I have heard bits of that album before. If I Can't Dance is a favourite of mine but I've never given the album a full listen. I'll give it a whirl over the weekend. Thanks!

kaushik, Island, ssa and 1 other person like this.
  17. I prefer the original but this is brilliant.

Well done Sophie!

wolfgangna likes this.
  18. I'm ecstatic about the inclusion of Music Gets The Best Of Me but slightly concerned. I hope she includes the album version and not the single version. Same with Today The Sun's On Us and Starlight. All of their radio edits omit the best parts.

Crying At The Discotheque sounds amazing. The background vocals and production sound wonderful. It's refreshing to hear something that is produced by someone other than Ed. (I say this as someone who enjoyed both Wanderlust and Familia.)

Guigui_fr, Deer Stop and kaushik like this.
  19. Her sophomore offering doesn't get nearly the amount of love it deserves.

kaushik, AndrewX and Verandi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.