Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Songs From The Kitchen Disco | Page 65 | The Popjustice Forum

Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Songs From The Kitchen Disco

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by popdorian, Mar 25, 2020.

1. The single has one of her best cover artwork, Edward Hopper realness.

Aside from 'Mixed Up World' and 'I Won't Change You', I can only remember 'Love It Is Love' (during the short Trip The Light Fantastic Tour) and 'I Am Not Good At Not Getting What I Want' (during the Wanderlust Tour) ever being performed from the second album.

andru, ohaimanabu, Daniel L and 6 others like this.
  2. What is with her and "I Won't Change You"? I truly believe it is one of her very best songs and a Top 10 smash, to boot. What is not to like? Perhaps it means something to her we're not aware of.

4Roses, ohaimanabu, topopMAC1 and 3 others like this.
  3. It wasn’t big enough a hit to sell the album and she probably blames the album’s underperformance on that.

ohaimanabu and Txetxu like this.
  4. I went to order the vinyl the other day and pink was sold out.... it's back now, so I snagged it + a white Kitchen Disco shirt because this era is iconic.

5. She should blame it on the lead single, if that is the case. "I Won't Change You" remains a very sweet, underappreciated song.

topopMAC1, ohaimanabu and Sugaboy like this.
  6. TMI

TMI

apart from the color, any differences with the regular blue one ?

7. MB

MB

She’s performing on Strictly it takes two tomorrow night (well I think it’s tomorrow).

LPT, strictmachine79 and Robbietoxic like this.
  8. Just that I think pink is more limited based on blue also being an Amazon exclusive.

blaze_dave likes this.
  9. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I Won't Change You has such a great video, maybe she was dead against it for single treatment??

10. Island

Island Staff Member

Gays also lost:

11. Yeah so good to hear she's going to get that promo. I'm pleased she's doing Crying at the Discoteque as well and not Murder or Take Me Home.

ohaimanabu likes this.
  12. The opening track of the Christmas Kitchen Disco is sorted then.

13. She doesn’t like some of the lyrics in retrospect.

14. Proggy-pop could be interesting, but Ed...

15. If he could match his work with Paloma I wouldn't mind him producing for Sophie. It's not that it's bad, just nothing great/ Earth shattering. Which is what I want from Mrs. Ellis-Bextor.

kaushik and ohaimanabu like this.
  16. I think it is more than fine if she wants to write songs with Ed because her lyricism and ear for melody definitely have developed over the last two albums (I don't know if that's just experience or if he brings something out in her) but please get someone else to produce. I'd hope that the reception to the Kitchen Discos and working with Jewels and Stone and the Freemasons for Discotheque and Groovejet 2020 make her at least consider that option.

17. “I tried to change a tyre but I’m not that way inclined” is still iconic.

mpl, OspreyQueen, Martyn and 14 others like this.
  18. I can understand songs being left off vinyl or CD if there wasn't room but surely everything could have been released digitally/via streaming?

19. I remember her saying it’s the “I’ll still change my underwear” line in particular that makes her cringe.

Sugaboy and Deer Stop like this.
  20. I still stan 'I Won't Change You'. Gregg Alexander deliciousness, and the lyrics aren't cringey to me because I can hear the wry wink in Sophie's delivery. She finally came to her senses over 'If You Go', so hopefully her feelings on 'I Won't Change You' mellow soon too!

x

New Flame, Sugaboy, lushLuck and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.