Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Songs From The Kitchen Disco | Page 68 | The Popjustice Forum

Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Songs From The Kitchen Disco

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by popdorian, Mar 25, 2020.

1. You're right, you go, and it doesn't really explain the lack of 'Shoot From The Hip' songs when she's touring with a live band.

The blonde in a blue dress look from the 'I Won't Change You' video is a bit underrated.

[​IMG]

While I'm not buying 'Songs from the Kitchen Disco', I am happy to see her glow up and get some coin from this endeavour.

If she'll go by the tracklist, I guess she'll also skip her last iconic look(s): the white and black looks in the 'Love Is A Camera' video. A true serve.

[​IMG]

'Familia' era Sophie could never.

Island, If You Go, Nunya B and 2 others like this.
  2. Having nearly all her single releases is what’s prompting me to get it. Cover is awful but then as a Roisin fan I’m used to covers I loathe for music I love.

Shame about the Groovejet re-recorded version but suppose the original single is easy enough to get still

3. Haha, touché.

I too would like to know how she could put Mixed Up World on the album if the masters were lost? But honestly, as a librarian, every time I read about masters being lost my heart breaks a little.

Push, Deer Stop and Sugaboy like this.
  4. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Going by her reply to me on Insta she said the missings masters (instrumentals?) were the reasons she didn't perform it in the Kitchen Disco.
    And it not being performed there might be an excuse to not include it on the album?

5. But then how could she perform Mixed Up World?

Deer Stop and Mvnl like this.
  6. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

No clue. But with I Won't Change You being up on streaming I don't see a reason why I couldn't technically have been on the CD either.
    (to be honest personally I do not miss it at all)

moorje likes this.
  7. They also could have just ripped it from a CD surely as a last resort.

8. She just hates that song to bits. Excuses or not. End of story.

OlliMaus, hologram, lushLuck and 3 others like this.
  9. I see she didn’t include any of the single edits. If she at least included the video edit of “Starlight” and the edits of her post-Make A Scene singles I would’ve def snagged a copy due to the fact those aren’t exactly readily available physically but just gonna download the covers from 2014 and the two new recordings (NOT that karaoke reproduction of “Groovejet”).

10. Uno

Uno

She's not alone in her I Won't Change You hate.

Staticboombox likes this.
  11. "I'll still change my underwear, if that's okay with you".

12. I Won't Change You is a bop and Sophie should change that about herself.

13. She mentioned that lyric at the orchestral show last year - "Some of my older lyrics just don't fit this style of show".

dipitybix likes this.
  14. I'm not really familiar with her single versions - are there any which are not just shortened album versions and are significantly different (some additional production or other changes)?

15. I can’t speak for anything past Make A Scene but “Move This Mountain” is the one with the most differences as it adds new effects here and there (and sounds like it was also mixed differently as the “bells” sound a bit more muddled) but otherwise they’re mostly just shorter and tighter (I find the video version of “Starlight” to be the better version).

I do prefer the more lively production in the single version of “Music Gets The Best Of Me” but it’s very minor (bar the intro now starting with a cleanish “Uh Ahh”).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Robbietoxic and m_dimitrov like this.
  16. That Uh Ahh is the best way to start this bop.

17. Is this worth picking up? I would download for 7.99 but 10.99 seems steep

CatastropheBoy and V3RYP05H like this.
  18. Got my signed copy! This is such a joyous collection.

Deer Stop, Robbietoxic and blaze_dave like this.

OlliMaus, LPT, Push and 11 others like this.
  20. Which member of this

tweeted at her

OlliMaus, LPT, Push and 8 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.