Sophie Ellis-Bextor. | Page 1148 | The Popjustice Forum

Sophie Ellis-Bextor.

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Dazzle, Feb 23, 2010.

1. The new song is cute, although it doesn't do much for me. It has no 'moments' - I find it very flat.

2. Trip and Scene had endless delays. Not sure how many people here were fans before Trip; but those who were fans since the beginning have definitely witnessed the worst waiting periods before those albums. This little push back is really nothing.

Also, while this album is in fact a re-recording of her older singles, it really is an album in its own right, considering that she’s actually taking the effort to redo everything differently... and not re-create the original the way Blondie did.

I look at this album and Kylie’s Abbey Road Sessions album and Macy Gray’s Stripped album as proper albums. The artists simply covered their older songs in a different style. Kylie’s Abbey Road Sessions isnt a GH album to me, unlike the multiple singles packages that she has. I don’t ever play those other compilations, but Abbey Road receives quite a few spins.

But I get that it’s down to perspective. The fact is that this is a singles compilation. But my opinion is that it’s an album in its own right because it is being treated as one by Sophie herself.

3. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Staff Member

Just listened to Bittersweet for the first time in what must be several years and immediately had flashbacks to the "no substitute for anal pleasure" comments on here. Time flies.

Push, Verandi, Santi319 and 2 others like this.
  4. I'm sort of looking forward to when this whole era is done and she's back making original music. Sorry...

New Flame, andru and Txetxu like this.
  5. And each time she's pregnant, I'm reminded of the line "How can I deny the Feeling?".

londonrain, Push, Verandi and 11 others like this.
  6. There's a bit on PledgeMusic about her plans for the album; she plans to release Murder on the Dancefloor as a single before the album.

7. I love how people bang on about the “endless” greatest hits collections Kylie has had when she has only had 4 - the original greatest hits in 1992, hits + in 2000, ultimate Kylie in 2004 and best of in 2012. The original was reissued with different cover and re-worked tracklisting. There has been one other hits collection in Oz.

Anyway, this is a great idea by Sophie just poorly executed. Why release a single when you know the album isn’t ready and won’t be released for another 5 months. She isn’t the only act of sloppy scheduling of singles and tours well in advance of albums though.

8. Tribal Spaceman

I do hope this version has "The altogether!" as part of the recording.

Wishlight, londonrain, Push and 7 others like this.
  9. I always love how the audience do it live and sometimes she shouts it too.

Wishlight, Push, Island and 5 others like this.
  10. Along with the foot stomp.

11. Tribal Spaceman

I'll always love this Top of the Pops performance with all the dancers from the video.

I'd love to see another visual spectacle like this from her in the future.

12. What did she say about it?

13. Out of all the people to record an orchestral album, I can’t think of anyone more perfect than Sophie. It’s the perfect bridge, bringing together her pop days and the Harcourt albums. The fact it feels like she’s been recording it and preparing to release it for an inordinate amount of time is what makes it feel disappointing. It does make me feel good to know that she is investing so much time curating this and re-recording vocals, but you can understand why people would kind of feel like... she could have recorded an album of original material in this time.

14. Exactly. If she recorded it in a few months and got it out there and we had it now it would be fine. All this extra build-up and time delays feels too much for an album of songs we already know.

15. Love Is Love is definitely the only new song on the album, it seemed quite clear from how she spoke about it in her PledgeMusic interview.
    And I agree, it's not really an *original* new single, but I guess it's new.

16. I know it's not really a thing nowadays but, unlike a lot of artists, Sophie has some amazing B-sides/unreleased material and it would have been great to have had her go back and re-work some of those for a 'new' collection rather than the obvious songs.

Re-working some of those tracks, with Ed, and continuing with the authentic sound they'd developed, could have been really fun.

Something like;

01. Pop Wow
    02. Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
    03. Down with Love
    04. Sophia Loren
    05. Move to the Music
    06. Here's to You
    07. Take Me with You
    08. Duel
    09. Did I?
    10. The Earth Shook the Devil's Hand
    11. Never Let Me Down
    12. Live It Up

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2018
    magictreehouse and kaushik like this.
  17. Just adding this... amazing cover version

18. @The Bextorian tweeted a link to the whole one-hour show at 'A Fest' in Minsk (August 11, 2018).

It's really nice that her Russian audience enjoys the songs from the last two albums as much as the first four. Also, its funny that they live for Can't Fight This Feeling, but good for her, I guess.

01 - Wild Forever
    02 - Death Of Love
    03 - Young Blood
    04 - 13 Little Dolls
    05 - Love Is A Camera
    06 - Come With Us
    07 - Take Me Home
    08 - Lady/Groovejet/Sing It Back/Groovejet reprise
    09 - Get Over You (the tribal drumming version)
    10 - Can't Fight This Feeling
    11 - Heartbreak (Make Me A Dancer)
    12 - Murder On The Dancefloor
    13 - Not Giving Up On Love

19. I don't get why she won't mix up the Familiar/Wanderlust tracks within the setlist as opposed to separating them so distinctly. Either way, that looks like a pretty epic setlist.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.