Sophie Ellis-Bextor. | Page 1150 | The Popjustice Forum

Sophie Ellis-Bextor.

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Dazzle, Feb 23, 2010.

1. It seems strange that Sophie would cover The Weeknd’s song. Either she chose to do it because she’s a fan of Daft Punk or Radio 2 asked her to do it for one of their compilations. But this can’t replace Groovejet. The medley can go but Groovejet should always be on her set list. I’d like to see her to a Groovejet/Love Is You medley now onward.

2. There’s a second single between Love Is You and the album (ie. Murder, with a Spanish twist, with castanets and all). It doesn’t have to help push the album but if the single sells, at least she’ll be earning more money - plus it’s actually a brilliant song.

LP likes this.
  3. Sorry, guys, but who's saying that the single is even remotely successful or selling at all? As far as I know nobody even knows that she's got a new song out.
    I think releasing singles is just perfunctory at the moment for Sophie, she just did it because she likes the song I guess... Nobody expects the single to sell anything. Plus this is a Greatest Hits, people will buy it for the hits, and mainly fans, I seriously doubt she will stray far from her loyal fanbase with this.

New Flame likes this.
  4. Love Is You is 88 on the iTunes chart, it’s not going to trouble the top 40 but I was surprised to see it on there at all.

andru and LP like this.
  5. But she's A-list at Radio 2...

[​IMG]

honey, Santi319, lushLuck and 9 others like this.
  6. Ah ah ah! Yes, I was way surprised to see that, but the audience who listens to Radio 2 is not renowned to buy singles... But they do buy albums much more than the younger generations. So I'm sure she will do well with The Song Diaries when released! Releasing in January in the lowest selling week of the year is also a good move to secure a higher chart placing, even though I've got the feeling this particular album would have been a perfect Christmas gift...

LP likes this.
  7. She had an interview and performance tonight on The ONE Show.

Now the single has climbed to #67 on iTunes. Nice little boost.

8. That was a nice little performance! Also it’s nice that she got a slot to perform the song on BBC’s The One show. I hope she’s able to secure a few more good promo slots. She just needs to get the message across to all the album buyers that she’s got new music out in January. And hopefully being A-listed on BBC Radio 2 will work in her favour.

She should have filmed a music video (even if it was just a performance video) as soon as she was done with the song. YouTube streams would have also helped the single, right?

I’m glad that she’s learnt to balance her pregnancies and albums. This pregnancy isn’t slowing her down. Having said that, I do hope she’s taking good care of herself and the baby.

The Bextorian and AndrewX like this.
  9. New tour leaked before the official announcement...
    See tickets list the tickets as being onsale this Friday (28th Sep).
    The tour runs from 02 June 2019 to 11 June 2019. Much bigger venues this time around.
    Symphony halls galore!

10. Renting a decent camera would have cost more than the youtube streams.

11. I came across this today: Sophie sings Nothing Compares To You

12. Oh wow, you don't want to know how I reacted when I saw she was playing Nottingham Concert Hall! It's literally my favourite concert hall I go to. And Birmingham Symphony Hall is fab as well.

Will be most definitely be going to this tour!!

LP likes this.

13. She promoted the single on 26 regional radios. I know it will not catapult the single into the top 10, but I hope it helps sell the song a little more. I’m glad she’s promoting it.

Island, LP, strictmachine79 and 2 others like this.
  14. The album is out on January 11, 2019.

15. Is It Any Wonder just clicked with me. What a gorgeous song.

16. Your post made me revisit it as well and it's just a gorgeous song isn't it?

Robert, lushLuck and Island like this.
  17. Read My Lips really is such a cool album.

18. Read My Lips is such a great album, and completely filler-free.

Robert, lushLuck and Island like this.
  19. dddd I consider Read My Lips as the album with the most filler after Familia. The public didn't care to buy Shoot after her debut was basically nothing more than the killer singles.

20. Read My Lips took awhile to grow on me but Lover, Is It Any Wonder, Final Move, Sparkle, and Universe is You are all good songs. Yes, they're of their time but Sophie really wasn't your run of the mill generic pop artist. I can see how maybe she was trying to be something she wasn't, but overall, the album is pretty cool for a mainstream pop artist.

lushLuck likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.