Sophie Ellis-Bextor. | Page 1151 | The Popjustice Forum

Sophie Ellis-Bextor.

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Dazzle, Feb 23, 2010.

1. 'Love Is You' I think is the first track by Sophie I felt bored listening to.

2. MB

MB

Snap. And at like £55 for a decent ticket, I decided to sit this one out.

P'NutButter likes this.
  3. Ahhhh Sophie. Where did that little pop queen go?

4. She's gone.

lushLuck likes this.
  5. The orchestral version of Take Me Home is going to slay!

londonrain, LPT and Smooth Criminal like this.
  6. Sophie talks disco
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05j32s4

It was a lovely little interview. She got a bit defensive when the host asked her if she would retire after this. I’m so glad she doesn’t want to retire anytime. Keep releasing albums, Sophie. We love you!

They played Groovejet and Love Is You. And during the interview, they had Come With Us (Freemasons Mix), Murder On The Dancefloor and Wild Forever playing in the background. Hopefully the listeners go and check out the rest of her catalogue as well.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    LPT and muddleddreams like this.
  7. Come With Us has a Freemasons Remix? :O

8. The first three singles from Familia were remixed by the Freemasons.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    londonrain and LPT like this.
  9. Those are the only two Sophie albums I own, but I love them both. The only track between them that I don’t care for is Music Gets the Best of Me.

I need to get around to listening to the other albums.

Island and Verandi like this.
  10. We might have opposite taste but my two faves are Trip and Shoot, so I'd always suggest to start from those. If you really like Familia I'd say Wanderlust is good too.

Robert likes this.
  11. Familia and Wanderlust are both underrated here. They’re both really strong albums. Familia sort of summarises her entire career. Shoot From The Hip is another underrated gem among her fans outside PJ, but it’s a solid piece of work.

Make A Scene would have to be the weakest of the lot. But it’s filled with some cracking dance pop tunes!

theaudience and Quiet Storm get little to no recognition here but they’re both excellent albums in my opinion.

Cosimo and muddleddreams like this.
  12. Do you know how much Familia sold by any chance? I have been dying to know!

13. Island

Island Staff Member

The F9 remix of Wild Forever used to be on the Zara playlist ddd.

One Stop Candy Shop likes this.
  14. Island

Island Staff Member

I don't really use Shoot from the Hip but Another Day is the highlight from it. You Get Yours is a good one, too.

Trip the Light Fantastic is the pure pop extravaganza. It's a delightful album. The only song I don't really use is Only One.. and New Flame but they're cute. Love Is Here is so cheesy but I love it so much. She still performs The Distance Between Us at some shows.

Sophie is definitely one of those artists where the songs are perfectly suited for her because her singing is so distinctive and you just can't imagine someone else singing her songs and pulling them off as convincingly as she does.

Wishlight, New Flame and Robert like this.
  15. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

My ranking of her albums would be:

1. Make A Scene (One of my favourite pop albums of all time, genuinely not a single song on it I don't enjoy.)
    2. Wanderlust (Beautifully written, produced and sequenced, it's such a shame so many people haven't given it a chance.)
    3. Trip The Light Fantastic (A bit predictable I guess, but still really good.)
    4. Read My Lips (The singles are brilliant of course, but there's only a couple of album tracks I really care about.)
    5. Shoot From The Hip (Some of her highest highs along with some of her lowest lows. Not unenjoyable but incredibly disjointed.)
    6. Familia (Same formula as Wanderlust, but with none of the heart and soul that made it come alive. Even the cover is just a half-assed attempt to recreate that album.)

Wishlight and Future Lover like this.
  16. I can’t find a single flaw in her first two albums, but it all gets spotty after that.

17. Shoot from the hip: cold, calculated pop at its worst.

18. Calculated? If anything it ticked all the boxes of how not to follow up a hugely successful album:

Change your image? Tick
    Replace upbeat disco songs for pensive songs about your dead relationship? Tick
    Swap the synths for acoustic guitars? Tick
    Bin the tunes? Tick

I actually like Shoot From The Hip. But Trip The Light Fantastic is far more calculated.

19. I can never hear If I Can't Dance without thinking of that St. Trinian's scene. Mrs. Ellis-Bextor teaching us how to break into art museums.

20. This should be pinned as the truth.

muddleddreams and OspreyQueen like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.