Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE WINNER) | The Popjustice Forum

Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE WINNER)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by SpanishEyes, Jan 31, 2012.

1. [​IMG]
    Amy Winehouse shaped the current music scene even as she absented herself from it. With her music, as heart-wrenchingly open and painful as her private life, she has inspired a generation of soul divas who have a taste for the retro sound - from Adele, with her old school-style powerhouse and pure love songs, to Duffy and her '60s blue-eyed soul sensibilities, begging her man for mercy. Ever since their debuts, the latter two have been pitted against each other (and against Amy) by the media and critics alike. All three have experienced massive commercial and critical success thanks to their distinctive works. So!

Now we have the best album from each fighting for your votes, it's time to find out which one of Back to Black (2006), 21 (2011) and Rockferry (2008) PopJustice users love the best!

If you want to participate, rate the following 32 tracks from 0 to 10 and PM me your scores. I'll be accepting votes until the 12th of February.

Back to Black
    Rehab
    You Know I’m No Good
    Me & Mr. Jones
    Just Friends
    Back to Black
    Love Is a Losing Game
    Tears Dry on Their Own
    Wake Up Alone
    Some Unholy War
    He Can Only Hold Her
    Addicted

Rolling in the Deep
    Rumour Has It
    Turning Tables
    Don’t You Remember
    Set Fire to the Rain
    He Won’t Go
    Take It All
    I’ll Be Waiting
    One and Only
    Lovesong
    Someone Like You

Rockferry

Rockferry
    Warwick Avenue
    Serious
    Stepping Stone
    Syrup & Honey
    Hanging on Too Long
    Mercy
    Delayed Devotion
    I’m Scared
    Distant Dreamer

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    [​IMG]

2. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

Sorry to see that Duffy's legs were the first casualty of this battle.

3. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

Amy better dominate this! Poor Duffy is going to get slaughtered, and she really doesn't deserve to.

4. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

From the looks of things, she already has been.

I guess she fell on hard times after her second album flopped. She clearly chose to become an amputee over giving up smoking.

I love all of these albums so it should be an interesting rate.

5. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

I couldn't find a decent photo of her entire body, standing, so I figured that will have to do. Sorry Duffy!

6. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

I am beyond excited for this. I will not be happy if Amy does not take the crown however.

7. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

Picking a winning song here is absolutely impossible! However, I'm here for Tears Dry On Their Own, Set Fire To The Rain and Warwick Avenue.

8. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

My Duffy scores killed the others. What a wonderful album that is.

9. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

Oh, this will be interesting! Poor Duffy, indeed. Rockferry is probably my favourite album of the three, so she got some pretty good grades from me!

10. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

They are all pretty perfect albums and I would place them amongst some of my favourite albums ever. Back to Black is simply legendary though, and I could not pick one single fault from the album,

11. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

I shall not be scoring anything beneath a 5 and quite frankly neither should anyone else.

12. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

Heehee I can't read the thread and not laugh at the Duffy / duffy similarity. Poor duffy.

13. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

Rockferry > Back To Black >>>>> Other.

14. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

If you don't think Back To Black is the best by a huge margin, you really need to re-evaluate your life and what's gone wrong within it.

I mean, this competition is just a joke.

15. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

I don't normally participate in these because of the ridiculous overscoring that goes on. People throw 10s around like confetti, whereas 10 implies perfection which by its very nature is rare.

Having said that, there are quite a few tracks on two of these albums that just might deserve it.

16. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

They're all good. I, unsurprisingly, tend to share Marie05's verdict but all these albums should belong in your collection.

17. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

I don't think there is a fair comparison between these albums, why not 19 instead of 21? At least my Duffy scores were easy. Argh, the Rockferry era was so perfect it doesn't feel like it happened.

18. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

It's just what is generally accepted to be their best albums to make it more even. Rockferry vs. Frank vs. 19 would likely see Adele destroyed and maybe even an easy Duffy win while Endlessly vs. Back to Black vs. 21 would just be embarrassing for Duffy.

19. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

Well Distant Dreamer recieved the 1,000,000,000 it deserved.

20. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry

I have never actually listened to Back To Black, apart from the singles of course. Will use this to discover the album I think!

I love Rockferry. It doesn't have really amazing singles like 21 or Back To Black has, but as a complete package it's much better. It just works. I haven't listened to it for ages, though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.