Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE WINNER) | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE WINNER)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by SpanishEyes, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

I agree with every word.

2. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

I hate you all.

3. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

You Know I'm No Good was my favorite song in this rate.

Back To Black or Tears Dry On Their Own better win.

4. RJF

RJF

Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

What the fuck is "Set Fire..." still doing here? "Rolling In The Deep" is the only Adele song that should be here at this point.

5. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

4. "Set Fire to the Rain"
    [​IMG]
    Average score: 8.95
    Highest score: 10 (x12)
    Lowest score: 4.5

Adele wrote this song with English producer/songwriter Fraser T Smith. "Well, it's a bit like 'Chasing Pavements,' you can't do it. I was playing on my mind while I was trying to light a fag in the rain outside a restaurant."
    Adele told Q magazine that the title came to her, "in the middle of the night when I got up for a wee…"
    When this went to #1, she became the first British artist to have three chart-toppers from one album on the Hot 100 since George Michael in the late eighties.

This was Adele's last song in, meaning she bows out of the competition before the top three.
    [​IMG]
    Album average: 7.17

6. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

JUSTICE.

7. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

Bah.

Well, I have a 5.5, a 6.5 and a 10 remaining...

8. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

AT LAST. God I thought it was going to troll all the way to the top spot. I think I was the one who gave it a 4.5. It's Adele's worst single.

9. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

Which would still make it pretty much perfection.

10. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Phenomenal top 3!

11. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

Tears Dry, Back to Black, Rehab as the order please.

12. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

Fuck it. Wish I voted. At least that Goat got eliminated early.

13. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

Well, we know Amy is winning this, but with which song? The first one out of the top 3 to go is...

3. "Rehab"
    [​IMG]
    Average score: 9.05
    Highest score: 10 (x9)
    Lowest score: 6.5

In February 2007 her father gave a candid interview to the Sun newspaper in which he denied that his daughter was an alcoholic, although he admitted that like many single women of her age she sometimes overdid the drink. On one occasion, after splitting up with her boyfriend, she fell over and hit her head.

Her previous management company wanted her to go into rehab but she said she didn't need to. Her father agreed, adding that she wasn't an alcoholic but had been drinking too much because she was lovesick, and "You can't go into rehab for that." Alcoholics drink everyday, he said, and his daughter didn't. Hence the line: "They tried to make me go to rehab, I said no, no, no."

Amy Winehouse was asked by The Daily Mail on August 3, 2007 how she writes songs. Said Winehouse: "With 'Rehab' I was walking down the street with Mark Ronson, who produced my last album. I just sang the hook out loud. It was quite silly really." She was then asked, "Did you sing the 'no no no' bit as well?'" "Yeah, I sang the whole line exactly as it turned out on the record! Mark laughed and asked me who wrote it because he liked it. I told him that I'd just made it up but that it was true and he encouraged me to turn it into a song, which took me 5 minutes. It wasn't hard. It was about what my old management company (run by former Spice Girls manager Simon Fuller) wanted me to do."

This won the 2007 Ivor Novello Award for Best Contemporary Song. At the 2008 Grammy awards, this won for Song Of The Year, Female Pop Vocal Performance and Record Of The Year. Winehouse also won for Best New Artist, and performed a medley of songs that were televised from London. Ronson won for producer of the year.

14. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

Should have won. I'm not sure which one I want to win now.

15. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

I'd quite like Tears Dry to win now.

But I don't mind whatever wins, it's great that Amy got the top 3.

16. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

What's 'Tears Dry On Their Own' still doing in???

It's good but not one of her best efforts and nothing like as good as th majority of the Top 10.

Her diction is particularly problemtic and it has that terrible ending that sounds like a band getting it wrong in rehearsal.

The fact it should beat the masterpiece that s 'Rehab' is ridic.

'Back To Black' has to win.

17. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

An Amy Top 3 is absolute dog poo- if it was up to me it'd be Rolling In The Deep/Set Fire To The Rain, Warwick Avenue and Tears Dry On Their Own.

However, Tears Dry On Their Own for the win, and rightly so! I think my feelings have been made clear on the song that will finish in 2nd place..

18. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

Spanish Eyes wrap this rate up please!

Stop keeping us waiting!

19. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

Ready?

2. "Tears Dry On Their Own"
    [​IMG]
    Average score: 9.55
    Highest score: 10 (x13)
    Lowest score: 8 (x3)

So close, yet not quite there. Coming in second place is "Tears Dry".

Like the other songs on the Back To Black album, this was written during a difficult time in Winehouse's life. Her then boyfriend Blake Fielder-Civil had abandoned her to return to his previous girlfriend, leaving Amy devastated. In an interview with the Sun newspaper, she explained: "'Tears Dry On Their Own' is a track about the break-up with Blake, my ex. Most of these songs are about him. I shouldn't have been in a relationship with him because he was already involved with someone else a bit too close to home. The song is about when we split up and saying to myself: 'Yes, you're sad but you'll get over it.' And I did." Blake subsequently returned to Amy and they got married in May 2007.

This is based around the background music arrangement for the Ashford and Simpson Motown song "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," which was an American #1 for Diana Ross in 1970.

The winner later!

20. Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

Excellent!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.