Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE WINNER)

Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

8.45 and only #9? Damn. Wish it were higher. . .especially over Set Fire to the Rain.

What a terrible result. Warwick Avenue was the best song in the whole rate.

Disappointing. I'd have preferred if Mercy went out first though. Warwick was at least Top 5.

Love Is a Losing Game for #1.

Coming right now! But I'm warning you, it's a big one...

8. "Love Is a Losing Game"
1207538622_f.jpg

Average score: 8.6
Highest score: 10 (x8)
Lowest score: 4.5

Like the other songs on the Back To Black album, this was written during a difficult time in Winehouse's life. Her then boyfriend Blake Fielder-Civil had abandoned her to return to his previous girlfriend, leaving Amy devastated. After the songs were written he returned and they got married in 2007. However, at the time Winehouse was emotionally fragile but she chose to use her pain as raw material for her songs, which she found to be a healing experience. She explained to Mojo Magazine January 2008: "I'm not frightened of appearing vulnerable. I write songs about stuff that I can't really get past emotionally-and then I feel better."
It won the 2008 Ivor Novello award for Best Song Musically And Lyrically.

This was the first song mixed for Back to Black. Ronson recalled to Mojo magazine June 2010 that he was nervous regarding how Winehouse would react. Said Ronson: "She came to mixing on the first day at Metropolis studios in London. The first song we were mixing was Live is a Losing Game. She had her head down on the mixing board, so I couldn't gauge her reaction. I'm freaking out, thinking, If she doesn't like it, we'ew pretty fucked. At the end of it she looks up and walks over, extends her arms and gives me a huge hug. 'I love it. Just take the harp off after the second verse. It sounds like some Mariah Carey bullshit.' It's emblematic of this thing about Amy. She can cut you down to size in two seconds flat."

he / him

Fucking perfect song.

That is just tragic.

'Set Fire To The Rain' had a higher average score.

That is simply objectively wrong.

Coping With Senility said:
That is just tragic.

'Set Fire To The Rain' had a higher average score.

That is simply objectively wrong.

My thoughts exactly.

Love Is A Losing Game >>>>>>>>all of Adele's songs put together.

It should have been a bigger worldwide hit than SLY. It's so honest and pure, and lyrically simple and beautiful. It's everything SLY wants to be. It's despicable that someone scored it a 4.5.

Yes I know Someone Like You is already out.

Love Is a Losing Game is the best song in this. Tears Dry for the win now.

he / him

It has to be an Amy song, that's a given. I'm happy with You Know I'm No Good or Back to Black winning.

G

graffiti my soul

SpanishEyes said:
'I love it. Just take the harp off after the second verse. It sounds like some Mariah Carey bullshit.'

AMAZING.

I'm shocked that Love Is A Losing Game is gone, it's definitely my favourite song in this rate.

It's nice but, Love Is A Losing Game doesn't compare to the rest of Amy's songs left. It don't get why it's so amazing. Still, Rolling in the Deep needs to leave now.

Good riddance. Left at the right time.

BoxerInTheRing said:
"And life is like a pipe and I'm a tiny penny rolling up the walls inside" > most people's careers

But what does that even mean? I've never had a clue and haven't ever heard anyone else come up with an explanation either.

he / him

Baby Clyde said:
BoxerInTheRing said:
"And life is like a pipe and I'm a tiny penny rolling up the walls inside" > most people's careers

But what does that even mean? I've never had a clue and haven't ever heard anyone else come up with an explanation either.

I've always thought of it as her own personal metaphor for going against the grain, and feeling like she's going the wrong way through life, or something.

SuckMyBean said:
ha I knew someone would say this! I don't know how to explain but I'll try.

What I mean is, I compare songs I'm rating to all other songs, so if I think a song is better than like 90% of other songs I've heard, I'll give it a 9. I try to see what other people might see in a song. I hate Warwick Avenue, but I can see it's got a pretty melody, and don't understand my own dislike for it - it just really pisses me off. So I scored it quite highly. And I hate Don't You Remember and think it's one of the most appalling things to ever molest my ears. However I gave it a 2 or 3 because to give it a 0 would imply that it's the worst song ever conceived, which it's not, because the verses aren't overly ridiculous.

I could have given the some of Amy's weaker song's 9's, but objectively I know I enjoy them a lot as a part of a great album. Because all the other tracks are perfect, the occasional okay ones are still very pleasant. When I think of the songs on their own instead of just reacting immediately to my feelings, I can analyse whether these things come into play or not. Track listing can affect your enjoyment of songs too. I tried to consider all these factors in my scores.

As you can see, I took it a fraction too seriously and now agree with you. If I could score this rate again, I would troll to hell and back.

Whilst not necessarily agreeing with your scores from that explanation it sounds to me that your method is exactly how it should be done.

Oh dear. Some of you are NOT going to like this one...

7. "Distant Dreamer"
Duffy_se_vraci_primazena.cz.jpg

Average score: 8.75
Highest score: 10 (x11)
Lowest score: 3

Duffy in The Sun February 29, 2008: "There's a lot of fun to be had with a song like that. I love singing it live, you know the glockenspiel bit and the saxophone part. We didn't have sax on anything else on the record."
Duffy added in her interview: "It was recorded on a tough day. I thought 'All right then, I'm just going to let whatever happens today come out.' I might have wanted something a bit more groovy but Distant Dreamer just came out. Hats off to Bernard (Butler) for the way he finished it just on the cymbals. Bernard's a real artist and I am very grateful to have worked with him."
A cover of this song was sung by the 2010 X Factor runner-up Rebecca Ferguson in the show's final.

And so, Duffy is the first to bow out of the competition.

duffyrockferrylp.jpg

Album average: 7.592