Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE WINNER)

he / him
Re: Soul Divas Album Battle: Back to Black vs. 21 vs. Rockferry (THE RESULTS)

Surprising, but at this stage of the rate, and with an average score that high, not really a huge loss.

Nucking futs to Love Is a Losing Game.

I never got the hype for Distant Dreamer, although I think I gave it a good score. It's decent and the build-up is nice but her voice gets so muddled underneath.

Adele needs to bow out for the next two and let Amy take the rest.

Baby Clyde said:
BoxerInTheRing said:
"And life is like a pipe and I'm a tiny penny rolling up the walls inside" > most people's careers

But what does that even mean? I've never had a clue and haven't ever heard anyone else come up with an explanation either.

I always thought a penny was a very, very small quantity of drugs?

Another big one tonight! (though I guess they're all big ones at this stage in the competition)

6. "Rolling In The Deep"
Adele-Rolling-In-The-Deep-FanMade.jpg

Average score: 8.825
Highest score: 10 (x8)
Lowest score: 5 (x2)

Adele wrote this in three hours the day after she broke up with her boyfriend. Arriving upset at the studio the day after they split, she wanted to write a lovelorn ballad. Producer Paul Epworth persuaded her to write a more feisty song.
Adele described the song to Spin Magazine as a kiss-off to an unfaithful dude. "It's me saying, 'Get the fuck out of my house instead of me begging him to come back. It's my reaction to being told my life was going be boring and lonely and rubbish, and that I was a weak person if I didn't stay in a relationship," she said. "I wrote it as a sort of 'Fuck you.'"

What does the phrase "Rolling In The Deep" mean? She described it to Rolling Stone as an, "adaptation of a kind of slang, slur phrase in the UK called 'roll deep,' which means to have someone, always have someone that has your back, and you're never on your own, if you're ever in trouble you've always got someone who's going to come and help you fight it or whatever like that. And that's how I felt in the relationship that the record's about, especially 'Rolling in the Deep.' That's how I felt, you know, I thought that's what I was always going to have, and um, it ended up not being the case."

It's just a shame that Set Fire To The Rain is still in the rate. Adele herself says it makes no sense. It's just meaningless.

I'm glad 4/5 are Amy's.

SuckMyBean said:
It's just a shame that Set Fire To The Rain is still in the rate. Adele herself says it makes no sense. It's just meaningless.

I'm glad 4/5 are Amy's.

What do you mean it makes no sense? Set fire to the rain, as in ending (setting on fire) a shit relationship (the rain), no?

Well she said it made no sense. Thusly, it must be bollocks.

I honestly think half of Adele's songs are so vague that they have no meaning and she just writes them because she's got an album to sell.

Not an Adele fan, me.

Set Fire To The Rain is her best song, so yes, well done everyone on that front. But it needs to leave next so a true icon can get the merit she deserves.

5. "You Know I'm No Good"
21535.jpg

Average score: 8.925
Highest score: 10 (x4)
Lowest score: 7.5

In this song, Winehouse confesses to a number of vices.
"You Know I'm No Good" borrows the bass line from House of Pain's 1992 Transatlantic Top 10 single "Jump Around."
The song makes a reference to Roger Moore who portrayed British secret agent James Bond in seven films from 1973 to 1985. The lyric in question goes; "By the time I'm out the door/ You tear men down like Roger Moore." The English actor quipped that he had no idea why Winehouse chose to include him in the lyrics, unless she wanted a word that rhymed with "door", or could not find a word that rhymed with "Connery."
Entertainment Weekly ranked this as the second best song of the year in 2007, just below Rihanna's "Umbrella."

N'aww, I liked You Know I'm No Good! Gave it a 9.5. It's acres better than Rehab and Back To Black- both of which need to leave quick style.

Also, this should be 5th place, Rolling In The Deep was 6th...

Good Lord, you awful awful people rating 'Set Fire To The Rain' so highly. Embarrassing.

jinzo said:
Also, this should be 5th place, Rolling In The Deep was 6th...
Corrected, thanks!

So, the top 5!

5. "You Know I'm No Good"
+
"Back to Black"
"Rehab"
"Set Fire to the Rain"
"Tears Dry on their Own"

I'm glad Set Fire To The Rain is the highest ranked Adele song. It's her best song by a mile. Either that or Tears Dry On Their Own should win.

He / Him / His

What the fuck is Distant Dreamer doing in seventh place? What a disgusting flop rate.

Anyway, I'm glad that Set Fire To The Rain has seen off those other shit singles from 21. 'Tears' for #1!

I deffo scored 'You Know I'm No Good' too highly. I adore Amy so none of her songs were going to get bad scores but it should have been a 7 rather than an 8. Same goes for 'Tears Dry On Their Own' another of her songs I don't love.

I obviously gave 'Rehab' and 'Back To Black' 10's as I did 'Set Fire To The Rain'.

Don't mind which of them wins.