Soundtracks | The Popjustice Forum

Soundtracks

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by torontodj, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Occasionally we mention reissues of soundtracks in The Reissue Thread but they don't seem to get as much traction as, say, a PWL reissue or a big pop star's reissue.

I love soundtracks and am wondering who else is.

I just received La La Land's "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" soundtrack, the first official soundtrack for the 30-year old film, although it doesn't have March of the Swivelheads or the Beatles' version of Twist and Shout.

"Less Than Zero" is also getting a score release (minus the pop songs, including The Bangles' hit cover of "Hazy Shade of Winter").

Some of my favourite soundtracks include Looking for Mr. Goodbar (excellent '70s disco and R&B), Who's That Girl (Madonna and fun '80s pop), Cooley High (Motown classics), Something Wild and Married to the Mob (Jonathan Demme's best films and soundtracks - quirky and fun), and Twin Peaks (great score and terrific Julee Cruise songs).

Peer_Gynt10 and blod like this.
  2. I don't have that many "pop" soundtracks (I have more movie score soundtracks), but yes some of them are great albums in their own right. Definitely two to mention from the late 80's/early 90's are the Pretty Woman and The Bodyguard soundtracks with outstanding material. I also really like the "Body Rock" soundtrack, regardless of the film which was quite bad, the soundtrack does have great tunes like the Maria Vidal title song or the Laura Branigan contribution.

Two of my favourite TV soundtracks are, yes, the Twin Peaks one which is an absolute gem (and I've read that Julee Cruise is reprising her role for the new series so I hope new Badalamenti/Lynch/Cruise music is on the making which to me is a love musical triangle) and funnily, the Sabrina the Teenage Witch one, I listened to that to death during my teenage years, great slices of teen pop and that was where I first heard about Robyn. I also really liked the Vonda Shepard/Ally McBeal ones, they sold bucketloads here.

As film scores go, two of my favourites which I own are the House of Sand and Fog (by James Horner) and Flowers in the Attic (by Christopher Young) ones. And from recent times the score of Her, and The Artist are masterpieces

Txetxu likes this.
  3. Resounding YES to Looking for Mr Goodbar and Twin Peaks.

4. One of my favourite soundtracks is The Secret of My Success from 1987. It's produced by David Foster with a lot of late 80s synths and also includes Bananarama's 'Riskin' a Romance', which was a bit of a rarity before the re-release campaigns.

torontodj likes this.
  5. Want, want, want! I'd never heard of it, so I checked out the Branigan track which is excellent, as expected. But I do need the title track in my life. Not least thanks to this performance:

6. Has the 1984 film Reckless starring Aidan Quinn and Daryl Hannah ever had a soundtrack release?
    It's not a super known film but I enjoy it a lot and one of its strengths are the songs used for certain scenes: the haunting Understanding Gravity by Thomas Newman & Children 13 at the beginning, Romeo Void's Never Say Never for the couple's dance scene, Kids In America for their nightly school invasion scene, Bob Seger's Roll Me Away for their idyllic/irrealistic drive away in the sunset final scene plus three songs from INXS's Shabooh Shabooh album. It was also Thomas Newman's first foray into film scoring.

torontodj likes this.
  7. Wow. I love that soundtrack, too. It's a Holy Grail for me. I have never been able to find it, and believe me I do a lot of thrift shopping. The David Foster score is terrific and I love the title song by Night Ranger.

Another late '80s soundtrack I love is Tequila Sunrise with Surrender to Me by Richie Zito and Ann Wilson, and also Crowded House's Recurring Dream.

Peer_Gynt10 likes this.
  8. Good question. I'm not even sure! The film itself has become a rarity so I imagine the same for the soundtrack (or it's like Sixteen Candles and Ferris Bueller in that it never got an official soundtrack despite having memorable songs). Here in Toronto, they used to air this film on television on the weekends regularly back in the late '80s/early '90s but now it's pretty much forgotten.

I wonder if one of the niche soundtrack reissue labels will reissue it - like Intrada or La La Land. Thomas Newman is very popular among soundtrack collectors so it could happen one day...

9. I don't love soundtracks in general but there are some that have really stood out to me over the years:

Bladerunner (best film soundtrack ever)
    Twin Peaks
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy all have gorgeous end credits theme tunes.
    Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
    Brokeback Mountain
    Donnie Darko
    then of course there's the musicals: Grease, Rocky Horror and Xanadu

10. Everybody remembers The Breakfast Club for the Simple Minds song, but Karla DeVito's "We Are Not Alone" used in the iconic dancing scene is a total bop:

And the E.G. Daily contribution was great too:

The films of John Hughes actually had great music to accompany them,to be honest. Such a sad loss when he died quite young.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Peer_Gynt10 likes this.
  11. I love that it looks as though she's trying to hold her pee at the beginning of the video.

12. The Fright Night Soundtrack is excellent.
    Evelyn 'Champagne' King, Devo, J Geils Band, Sparks, Autograph ... real mixed bag but fabulous.

torontodj likes this.
  13. Rooneyboy likes this.
  14. If this is a thread specifically about soundtrack reissues you should amend your title, there are already a lot of threads about soundtracks.
    In the Comeback subforum I found this one, by searching "soundtracks":
    Retro/80s/Dance Soundtracks - Fame, Flashdance, Footloose, Breakdance, etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.