Spice Girls | Page 1358 | The Popjustice Forum

Spice Girls

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by james1986, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Geri's probably in an anti touring mindset.

I also get the feeling they only really do something when the offer is 'big' enough, and Glasto haven't come knocking yet.

2. Honestly I think that they missed the momentum with Spiceworld 2019. They should have added more dates in Europe and the US, because at this point they're a legacy act, touring the greatest hits. There's only so much they can do with the same 15 songs they have been performing over and over again. Spiceworld 2019 was one hell of a show and they should have taken it to other parts of the world.

3. They don't want to make the effort.

Inky and Chris Lala like this.
  4. I say this as a massive fan since day one. Do not expect anything more from them, they are simply not invested anymore.

New music should have happened 10 years ago after the musical and after Victoria unofficially left the group. The 25th anniversaries has been a mess. They should just have released a b-sides and rarities collection and call it a day. Maybe a box set with the live stuff (full videos and audios from back in the day). All we can expect is a leak (unreleased songs or the SW19 video).

They have been so focused on protecting their legacy that in the end their lagacy ruined them.

5. In terms of Forever, they don't seem to shy away from it at all so I don't imagine they'll overlook the anniversary (whether they choose to do it next year using Goodbye as an opportunity or wait for the 25th anniversary proper.) Either way, I'll see you then for more of our niche complaints - and I'm sure there'll be plenty of them!

6. They have never performed a Forever album track. If that's not shying away from that album, I don't know what is.

Niche complaints? I would say most of the anniversary edition complaints have been valid, constructive criticism.

7. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s been told to keep quiet about a tour so when it happens in 2024 it will be more exciting and cause more buzz. That will be the 30th year since they formed.

8. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/olLEwqsLbLE

I believe this is the first time they've referenced an Istanbul performance that wasn't on the VHS in literally forever? It's still a YouTube rip though whilst the full show likely collecting dust in their archive.

P'NutButter and andru like this.
  9. I agree! And, have added my fair share of criticism to the discussion here as well, particularly with the release of Spiceworld 25 which has been an poor campaign from start to finish. This was just a reference to MuuMuse/Bradley talking about this thread and our "niche complaints" on their podcast which was mentioned earlier rather than me suggesting any of our complaints are invalid.

On Forever, I see your point about them never performing album tracks, but still it was re-released on vinyl in 2020, their social media often references it and footage from the era gets reused. The singles had their moments live in 2007 and 2019, with Geri on stage for the latter which they could've chosen not to do, so to me, it doesn't seem like they shy away from it or wish to ignore it. I don't see them (or perhaps it's more accurate to say "the label") passing on the opportunity to repress the album on colour vinyl and unceremoniously dumping an "expanded" 25th anniversary edition on digital as a minimum effort thing when the time comes if nothing else.

10. The one hour version is still on their channel from when they shared it before, but it's set to private now - if only someone would flip the switch!

11. We can only speculate. My feelings are Geri is hesitant in touring worldwide - or perhaps at all. Such a shame if that’s the case as I thought she looked amazing on SW19 - a little reluctant at times but since when have the girls been about perfection?

Daniel L and CarlysAngel like this.
  12. Viva Forever is one of the greatest songs of all time and I refuse to be told otherwise.

13. I prefer 2 Become 1 and Too Much, no offence.

rav4boy and discoteca like this.
  14. I am offenced!

15. Viva Forever is probably objectively the better song but 2 Become 1 tickles a very specific sweet spot in my brain.

Pat, rav4boy, lushLuck and 3 others like this.
  16. As a kid I remember reading that 2 Become 1 was outrageous because it was talking about safe-sex and wasn't good for kids, still I didn't get where they were talking about it.

BTW Viva Forever is the best Spice Girls song period.

intoxicated6 likes this.
  17. All of the ballads they released as singles in the 90s are amazing. Even if “Let Love Lead The Way” is a bit of a lesser quality, it’s still a lovely song.

18. When they announced the tour they didn‘t know it would actually be such a success without Victoria so I get why they didn‘t book other dates before.

Who knows if they had plans for 2020 for other dates but then of course Covid happened.

19. Here here, their ballads were superb back in the day.

RHOPJ likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.