Spotify | Page 127 | The Popjustice Forum

Spotify

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Popjustice, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Normani's impact!

No but seriously fucking finally!

2. Is there any way to stop particular artists (Sia, Lana) from appearing in your Release Radar playlist?

3. LTG

LTG

Does muting the artist on their page stop that?

slaybellz and BubblegumBoy like this.
  4. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Staff Member

They should only be in your Release Radar if you are following them, so unfollow them if you are.

Otherwise (on the app at least) go to the artist page, click the three dots next to the Follow button and there’s an option “Don’t play this artist”.

BubblegumBoy likes this.
  5. First part isn't true, I have had her in mine regardless. The second though yes I forgot about that, BYE GIRL

6. https://musicindustryblog.wordpress.com/2021/08/13/can-spotify-break-out-of-its-lane/
    Wonder if they'll get out!

slaybellz and spaceship like this.
  7. Please, please strip out podcasts. They’ve been trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist.

8. So the podcasts are failing? Haha.

lushLuck likes this.
  9. Nobody wants!

slaybellz and lushLuck like this.
  10. I’ve actually been listening to some podcasts lately nn.

Stopremix likes this.
  11. I always have issues playing podcasts on Spotify. Most recently it just won't play any of the ones I click on.

12. I use Spotify primarily for podcasts oops.

13. In regards to podcasts, there has been an increased demand for them in the last 5 years, so I understand why they've invested so much money in the medium. That said, I've been saying for awhile that I think the podcast market is incredibly oversaturated at this point, so room for growth/profitability is difficult. And from what I understand, a large percentage of podcast listeners do so during their commute, but this last year has taken away a lot of peoples commuting time, so demand has gone down.

It also isn't surprising Spotify's growth would stall. They offer one service and at a certain point, the people who require that service will have signed up. As the piece mentions, if they want to expand their brand/outreach, they have to also expand their output. Social platforms will never compete when it comes to music listening services, but they will always attract more users because they offer more engaging experiences. Apple Music has an upper hand because they've been smart to quickly add video content to their menu. I have applied to numerous video production jobs at Spotify, so they clearly are interested in developing that side of the brand, but I have yet to see any of that output/or have any clue where it goes or how to consume it.

14. What do you mean by Apple Music quickly adding video content? As in music videos? Haven't they always had that with iTunes? Or is it something else.

lushLuck likes this.
  15. I will contextualise: I love podcasts. I listen to them all the time. But I don’t need or want them in the same app as all my music. That’s literally never been an issue. I think separating the apps will be good for both mediums.

16. LTG

LTG

Don’t make me re-download the shitty Apple podcasts app!

SecretsOfFatima, Andy French and Mvnl like this.
  17. Partially the aspect of music videos, which as you say comes from having already existed on iTunes, which saves people from having to leave the platform to view the visuals attached to their favorite songs, but also their consistent output of exclusive interviews and video podcasts (and occasional performances) that can all be played in app and make for a more well-rounded music experience. Spotify is just way behind in that aspect.

spaceship and slaybellz like this.
  18. It was cute to try shoving podcasts in the main app and I get that they've spent a lot of money on various straight men to do have exclusives on there, but having it side by side with music consumption somehow feels like an extremely messy and whiplash-y experience from a user point of view. They don't dovetail in a way that feels elegant or enjoyable in any way.

I'd be really curious to see the percentage of people who use it entirely for music, entirely for podcasts, or a mixture. Personally everyone I know that is into podcasts does it through a dedicated app because it feels way more manageable to have a subscription feed separated like that. I really like Google's own one, which is ultra simple and no frills.

19. To be honest I don't know that I would engage much with video content on the app if they ever added it. I remember feeling Apple Music was very bloated when I tried it on a Free Trial.

I know a lot of people would probably enjoy it though. As long as it had it's dedicated area that wouldn't clutter the search function and they didn't force it on me the way they do podcasts I wouldn't be too mad.

lushLuck likes this.
  20. 100% this. I just don’t listen to podcasts or manage my library in the same way. I use Castro for podcasts (and I pay for it) because it is a proper, dedicated podcast app with features that matter for that medium.

Putting out a dedicated ‘Podify’ app could well do wonders for Spotify’s podcast business, if they can get over the hurdle of getting users to download it. There’s clearly a market, and I think Luminary would have snapped it up easily had they not made so many early blunders.

lushLuck and Vasilios like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.