Square Enix - Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth

Square Enix are going to be at Japan Expo. They are going to have a booth dedicated to XIV. With all kinds of special events going on. They are also going to have a beginners section where Square staff will help any people who want to play but worried about it being overwhelming to get to grips with the beginning of the game.

They will also be doing special limited edition Moogle toys.

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/03757d1f7c2caaf721f197a4b849f4440f845bf2

Is it really that bad?

I had a lot of issues with the battle system being faulty, the characters who were emphasized being boring as hell compared to the likes of Basch and Fran, and the storyline being given huge breaks between stretches of exploration and dungeon crawling. It's essentially an MMORPG for single players offline with a weak plot attached.

Final Fantasy XII was tedious from start to end. Not a bad game per se, but compared to the rest of the series... I literally can't remember ANYTHING about the plot or who the bad guys were.

One thing I always appreciated about Final Fantasy was the feeling of being on a journey, and there's usually this key moment that triggers that feeling. Leaving Midgar in Final Fantasy VII, becoming a SeeD and leaving Balamb Garden, running away with Garnet from Alexandria... I kept waiting for that kind of moment in XII - it never felt like the game actually started.

Theres something inspirational about seeing the fat chocobo flying in FXIV:HW

[video=youtube_share;mYqgaNoFSR0]http://youtu.be/mYqgaNoFSR0[/video]

Every time I'm in a duty that wipes and everyone wants to abandon, I think about fat chocobo flying. Bless him.

The characters of XII were so unbelievably bland and relied on previous stock character types to fill in their lack of personality, each main character felt like a poor descendant of those from the previous games. It's fine for the series to have characters with obvious similarities; i.e. Yuffie/Selfie/Eiko/Rikku, Cloud/Squall, Aerith/Rinoa/Dagger/Yuna, but they need to be coloured in with so much more than a surface level personality that relies on the gamer's nostalgia to fill in the blanks.

I loved the battle system in XII; tweaking your gambits to perfection, then watching them unfold in battle, was so satisfying. I can understand why others would find it frustrating but it appeals to my nature so directly. I was hugely impressed that they managed to execute something so intricate on the PS2.

The characters were generally bland, though I loved both Fran and Balthier. Storyline, eh. I could take it or leave it. Not hugely important to my enjoyment in a game.

IGN are saying that FFXIV:Heavensward has not only one of the best written Final Fantasy stories since FF9 but that its ranks up as one of the best written stories of any video game.

Also: Astrologian's limit break is literally amazing

[video]

the development team took inspiration from Olan's Galaxy Stop from Final Fantasy Tactics for the Astrologian's limit break.

Rainbow Trousers have you tried Alexander yet?

I'm no where near the end of the main store of Heavensward yet, I'm not even level 60 yet. So I can't attempt it. I'm trying to get my chocobo to fly but having trouble finding the aether currents in The Sea Of Clouds.

Alexander looks so cool though, love the steampunk design of his interior.

FFXIV is getting ridiculous in terms of content, there's just so much to do and see.

I've actually been gorging myself on Guild Wars 2 lately. I literally cannot stop and it's taking over my life. They updated talent trees and the leveling system and it's so much more compelling now.

I'll try and get Alexander in before my sub runs out, as it looks really good. Apparently Heavensward has allowed the game to amass over five million subscribers. It's going to completely overtake WoW soon.

Does anyone play Final Fantasy Record Keeper? It seems to be a rare case of a mobile game avoiding the pay to win approach and there's frequent updates, events and new characters to keep interest going. I'm not saying it's amazing but it's welcome change after the fiasco of All The Bravest.

Does anyone play Final Fantasy Record Keeper? It seems to be a rare case of a mobile game avoiding the pay to win approach and there's frequent updates, events and new characters to keep interest going. I'm not saying it's amazing but it's welcome change after the fiasco of All The Bravest.

Yea I have it but I got bored and stopped.

The first 3 battles of every 'level' were too easy and I just won it by leaving it on auto and found it annoying.

Yea I have it but I got bored and stopped.

The first 3 battles of every 'level' were too easy and I just won it by leaving it on auto and found it annoying.
Yeah there is that. The difficulty does keep getting raised though, the recent Sephiroth event was brutal at the top end of the Elite dungeons even against the normal enemies. It's an entertaining enough distraction for the time being and it's nice to see more characters being added so frequently.