Square Enix | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Square Enix

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jonathan27, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Rmx

Rmx

I genuinely couldn't tell you what either of those games are about. Like I'm not even being funny. I have no idea. And I played both of them almost until the end! I can't wait for the re-release of X so I can live through that amazing story again.

2. I'm forever changed by this assessment. As far as I made it in XII (ten hours, but only about three hours into the actual plot), I still feel like they should have kicked out Vaan and Penelo and made it Ashe's story. Basche could have even been the main character, but not those two. I read the other day that Vaan was added last minute, and it definitely shows.

I'd rank the games that I've played as:

1. X
    2. IX
    3. VII
    4. VI
    5. III

I'm of the unpopular opinion that X had the best battle system. I also loved the grid system, just because the equivalent level cap far exceeded 99. My only qualm is that there were no super bosses, so the ultimate weapons basically went to waste.

3. Rmx

Rmx

Were the Dark Aeons and Penance not tough enough for you?

4. RJF

RJF

There were tonnes of super bosses in X. The Dark Aeons, the Weapons, and that thing you fight on top of the airship.

5. Can we all take a moment and praise Triple Triad?

If Square-Enix had any sense left in them, they'd make a version of it for iOS/Android. Best minigame ever, and that's saying something when it comes to this series.

6. RJF

RJF

Triple Triad was fucking brilliant. Not to mention how powerful your characters could become with Card.

The card game in IX... Not so much.

7. Resi12

Resi12 Guest

The Dark Aeons scared me a little when I was younger!

8. Rmx

Rmx

The thing that saddened me most, was when Yuna had to kill her own Aeons in X-2. That game was so dramatic!

9. RJF

RJF

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  10. Rmx

Rmx

Aww, that brings me back! X-2 was such an amazing game. To be perfectly honest I might've even enjoyed it more than X. However, that was probably mostly due to X nostalgia since, for example, the X-2 Dark Aeons would've been meaningless without X. But seriously, X-2 had the best game play in the entire series. The battle system was fast-paced but you could still control everything. For a control freak like me, XIII was just awfully chaotic. And the lists of regions was also perfect because it was like checking off a list every chapter. And those fabulous dress spheres!

11. Unfortunately, the Dark Aeons weren't in the US version of X. As far as I know, I've completed 95% of Final Fantasy X (I am NOT dodging all those lightning bolts, and I refuse to play Blitzball), and there are no super bosses to speak of.

12. Rmx

Rmx

Oh my God. I totally did the lightning bolt thing and it took me forever. Like actual forever. I never bothered with Blitzball though. And what kind of version is the US version then?! The Dark Aeons and Penance are quite... well not important for the story but I'd still say they're an important part of the game.

13. RJF

RJF

The Dark Aeons in X mostly pissed me off, because if you hadn't got all the treasures from the cloisters throughout the game then getting Anima was close to impossible because of them.

Also, has anyone heard the orchestral arrangements of some of the music from the games? They. Are. Stunning. Take the opening music of VII for instance. Just wow. Also, if this doesn't break your heart into tiny, tiny pieces, then there is no hope for you.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  14. I think I want Aerith's Theme to play at my funeral. It's hard to put into words how much those five minutes mean to me.

15. Rmx

Rmx

I have the same thing with To Zanarkand. It honestly still makes me cry to this day. It's just the moment you actually get to that point in the game and you understand just how much that last group moment actually means. Heartbreaking.

16. I loved Final Fantasy, especially VII and VIII but then I stopped playing them (no particular reason) but I'm stuck on XIII & I don't know if its worth trying to kill the damn boss... too much effort.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
  17. I just impulsively bought V; I'd say it's probably the most overlooked entry in the series. I actually have no idea who any of the characters are going in. Anyone have any thoughts?

18. V is great! Lots of nice character development and I like being able to choose my characters jobs.

19. TeenIdle

TeenIdle Guest

My older brother was obsessed with VII while I loved playing X. I tried playing XII and it just felt so lifeless and directionless in terms of the plot.

20. V is a bit of an underrated gem. The plot twist is brilliant.

In fact, people have always praised VII as the "twister" of the series, but IV - VI also had their moments, didn't they? Don't want to spoil anything, but everything the characters go through in IV...

It all went a bit shit with the orphanage-storyline in VIII, though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.