Star Trek: Discovery & General Star Trek Discussion Thread | The Popjustice Forum

Star Trek: Discovery & General Star Trek Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mikey1701, Nov 2, 2015.

1. From startrek.com:

What does everyone think? I'm pretty excited. Kurtzman and Orci did a stellar job on Fringe and I definitely like the rebooted JJ Abrams (Into Darkness was unfairly maligned in my opinion).

I just hope that CBS have learnt lessons from Voyager and Enterprise.

2. The only series I watched while it ran was Voyager, which I loved. I am totally excited for this though.

etienne, DoggySwami and Mikey1701 like this.
  3. Yes!!! I've barely watched the old show but loved the reboot and this should really lend itself to TV. Sl*y me in space!

'CBS All Access' exclusive though...

Mikey1701 likes this.
  4. Voyager had some fantastic moments (nearly all of Seasons 4 and 5 are outstanding, with a smattering of other brilliant moments across the series) but it was inconsistent. Kate Mulgrew was a revelation though. Sassy Space Queen.

DS9 is it for me. What a show. Breaking down that Star Trek stereotype. And Kira was EVERYTHING. I lived for her beating the shit out of people.

DoggySwami and DJHazey like this.
  5. I'm thinking of a Doctor Who crossover at last!

RTD was on the verge of trying that with Doctor Nine and Rose/Enterprise, but he decided it wouldn't happen.

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  6. VERY excited for this. I'm very happy this won't be on broadcast TV, but CBS All Access sounds like they are putting a lot of pressure on this to consolidate their streaming service.

Apparently the original script for Star Trek Beyond included a way to rewrite the events on ST09, getting back to the original timeline. I really hope this will be in the same timeline of TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY, it would be a shame to waste so much story, specially when the current trend is to make the fictional universes more complex, not simplify them.

Just, please, let there be Borg.

Mikey1701 and Tribal Spaceman like this.
  7. Considering that Alex Kurtzman is handling this, expect it to be in the new timeline but with the complexity of Fringe. Give me a serialised arc and some new villains with old races appearing sporadically.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  8. Sounds great, I just hope it's a small series like 13 episodes rather old-school 25.

9. I'd be very surprised if we get more than 13 episodes and I would certainly expect it to be serialised.

I've always felt that a major factor of Enterprise's demise (aside from Season 1 and 2 were drivel) was its reluctance to embrace serialised story arcs. By the time Seasons 3 and 4 happened, nobody have a shit. Tragic really, considering Season 4 was spectacular- up there with DS9's best moments.

10. I never got into Deep Space 9 at all. It was always about Voyager for me and anything with The Borg.

phoenix123 likes this.
  11. Everyone says that about DS9. It never got a chance to stand on its own given it ran alongside The Next Generation and then Voyager. But it's the superior series and the paranoia generated by The Founders/Dominion is strikingly relevant into today's world.

popBrit likes this.

12. Perched for this. Not a very 'Trek' trailer but I don't mind that too much. I already like it more than the 2009 movie rehash that was Into Darkness (even if I quite like it).

13. The last movie got criticised for taking them away from the Enterprise too much and they're following it up with this? The new uniforms look ugly and ill-fitting too.

It does look better than the last one though.

14. Didn't Simon Pegg write this? Or am I thinking of something else. It does look very 'Blockbuster summer popcorn movie' which could either be a good or bad thing for Trekkies.

15. Simon Pegg needs to be removed from the world of science fiction.

16. Yes. They fired Roberto Orci and Pegg was up for the challenge.

I don't mind it being a blockbuster. I'm more bugged when there are big plot holes and they introduce 100% fantastic elements, like the red matter from ST09.

17. If anything, most of the critisism of Into Darkness revolved around it being a rehash of The Wrath Of Khan; having Kirk die instead of Spock, Khan seeking vengence on Starfleet and also shoehorning in a pointless cameo from Leonard Nimoy.

18. I actually really enjoyed the last movie.

phoenix123 and Mikey1701 like this.
  19. It was also criticised for the lack of team spirit where the Enterprise crew are concerned. It moved from action setpiece to action setpiece without much in the way of ship-based character development or drama, which is a cornerstone of Star Trek.
    I wish they could make a TV miniseries with the same cast, to show us more of their world.

spillett likes this.
  20. I think DS9 is probably the best series. It was nothing like Star Trek, completely abandoning the optimism of it, preferring a dark and nasty take on space exploration. I also think it had the best baddies in the form of The Dominion who were a credible force of evil, a sort of anti-Federation. I thought they were brilliant.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.