STAR WARS | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

STAR WARS

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by duckface, Jan 14, 2013.

1. duckface

duckface Guest

Ladies and gentlemen, it's official: The Star Wars spin-offs are happening.

A 'young Han Solo' movie, set between Episodes III and IV, and a 'young Boba Fett' movie set between Episodes IV and V.

If it were me, I'd set them at the same time and have them crossover, but what do I know.

With this wand, I fan-cast Tyler Hoechlin as Hot Young Boba Fett.

[​IMG]

2. Oh no, your spell didn't work right.... it's Tyler Perry as the Young Lando...

I am ridiculously excited by this news. It seems like Disney is doing a 'Marvel' with Star Wars - releasing 2 films a year set in the same universe.

So in 2015 we could have Avengers 2, Ant Man, Star Wars VII and Han & Chewie's Big Score.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  3. duckface

duckface Guest

Dear gods, please no Tyler Perry.
    I just hope they uncover some hot new talent for this.

And I also hope that, if both of these are going to be male-led, then the rumors that Episode VII has a female lead are true. Jaina, Jaina, Jaina, Jaina!

4. No. If we're having a female lead it has to be Kreia.

A tale about how she trained jedi that led to taring the republic apart, was exiled, had a daughter (who because a handmaiden under Atris), reconnected with the force, trained the exile and eventually threw herself into the bowels of a planet her Padawan tore apart.

[video=youtube;tDVCHKeM1Uk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDVCHKeM1Uk[/video]

She had a hugely positive reception and was voted best video game character in the year Kotor 2 was released. It's a character that really deserved to be developed further and the big screen would be a perfect place for that.

5. duckface

duckface Guest

Oh I remember her! A straight up adaptation of KOTOR 2 would be pretty awesome, too (and the canon version of the exile is a girl, so yay!).

6. Have you read the Revan book? It basically guts the entire series, such a terrible way for the whole thing to end.

7. I've spent this rainy Sunday watching Empire Strikes Back... Amazing, just amazing. If the new movies are even 50% as good as that, I'll be happy.

8. LTG

LTG

Considering the fact the Pope's going to have some time on his hands now, I wonder if he'd appear as the Emperor's long lost, almost identical brother.

9. I believe Tony Blair has already personally handed in his CV to the Vatican.

10. duckface

duckface Guest

This would be amazing casting. I wonder if he's going to do the celebrity route now. CBB, a few films...

11. duckface

duckface Guest

In today's least exciting "EXCITING!!!!" news, Harrison Ford has apparently been confirmed to reprise Han Solo in Episode VII.

12. I am ludicrously excited by this... I'm sure this news is from an actual dream I had when I was 11.

13. duckface

duckface Guest

Meh.

He's going to disappoint with a half-hearted performance, it happens all the time (see: Die Hard 5, or Ford himself in Crystal Skull).

And not to mention, I bet you $10 he has "HAN SOLO DIES IN THIS FILM" written in the contract. I'd prefer the films focused on Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin with Mara and Luke acting as mentors and maybe a cameo from Leia as the new Supreme Chancellor or whatever.

14. Don't stomp all over my dreams, Ducky.

Fanboys are too spoilt these days. 15 years ago, everyone would have had aneurysms about an Episode VII with Ford, Hamill and Fisher.

I'm sure the focus will be on the young 'uns with Han as some sort of waistcoat-wearing Dumbledore figure.

15. I've no issues with Disney. Disney can be brilliant. They've been great for the Muppets (pre-Gervais that is).

My problem is that I find it difficult to buy into a Post-Palpatine Star Wars.

People say the saga is about Anakin - and of course, he's a huge part of it. But he's a pawn in the end game of Palpatine's story. The existing films start and the end in line with the rise and destruction of Palpatine's absolute power.

So, like a post-Sauron Lord of the Rings or a post-Voldermort Harry Potter - I question where the overarching jeapordy and conflict will come from. Or whether they are going to feel like Star Trek films which are (for obvious reasons) more 'serial' / 'baddie of the week' feeling.

I'm sure there was some attempt to revive Palpatine in the spin-off books, but that always feels like a cop-out.

So I'd be more optimistic if the news was of pre-prequal prequels. Maybe about his relationship with Darth Plagueis.

heavymetalGAGA likes this.
  16. Au contraire. I never really thought that Palpatine was very scary as a villain anyway. I'm sure they can find a better one.

17. Well I think he was exceptionally sinister. But how scary he was wasn't really the point. He's the 'master' evil for whom the scary baddies work for.

I felt that where the prequels got silly, the political intrigue that Palpatine's role lent it much needed credibility. It's what I go back for actually when I re-watch.

I mean, you don't even 'see' Sauron in LOTR much, but you can feel is presence. It wouldn't work otherwise. Feel the same about Palp.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  18. duckface

duckface Guest

Palpatine is awesome.

19. Carrie Fisher has confirmed she's returning!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.