Stephen King | The Popjustice Forum

Stephen King

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by stuaw, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Thought about posting this in the horror film thread, but: a) I don't really consider The Stand 'horror' and b) it's not a film! It's about time we had a standalone King thread, anyway. Discuss anything to do with King's novels, short stories and their adaptations here.

Four cast members have just been announced for the new version of The Stand:

[​IMG]
    https://ew.com/tv/2019/08/01/the-stand-cast-stephen-king-new-ending

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Music Is Death likes this.
  2. Re: books, I've just picked up Black House by Peter Straub and King. Slowly making my way through his bibliography, I've read about 30 so far. My favourites change all the time. Any of the following are up there: Cujo, Carrie, Pet Sematary, Gerald's Game, Misery, The Stand, Needful Things, The Drawing Of The Three, The Long Walk (by 'Richard Bachman'), Revival.

Music Is Death and TeamDorinda!! like this.
  3. Gerard's Game on Netflix was brilliant. So much better than I expected a King adaptation to be.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  4. I haven’t seen the adaptation yet. Surprising, considering how much I love the book.

But then, I haven’t seen Dark Tower, either. If you’d told me a few years ago I’d have zero interest in watching a Dark Tower movie, I wouldn’t beeline you. And yet, here we are.

Frank Darabont is the master at bringing King to the big screen. Shawshank, The Green Mile and The Mist are all fantastic.

5. I think my top 5 would be:

1. Christine
    2. Lisey’s Story
    3. Gerald’s Game
    4. The Long Walk
    5. Cujo

Lately, Music Is Death and stuaw like this.
  6. Three of your top five are among my favourites. Taste! I’ve yet to pick up Lisey’s Story or Christine. Hopefully I’ll enjoy them, seeing as we have similar taste.

I haven’t disliked many of his novels, to be honest. I even enjoyed the maligned Tommyknockers. Sure, it could’ve done with some editing, but I liked it overall. He’s at his best when he’s writing about one town and its inhabitants (IT, Needful Things, Salem’s Lot, Under the Dome).

The only books I’ve genuinely hated are The Regulators, End of Watch and The Outsider (there were the bones of a good book in there, although I didn’t like the tie-in with the Mr Mercedes books).

Music Is Death and TeamDorinda!! like this.
  7. Highly worth a watch.

stuaw likes this.
  8. Wasn’t a film of The Long Walk finally announced a while ago...
    a favourite I must have reread the most.
    I’m currently rereading The Sinning for the first time in 20 years, and then following it up with a first read of Dr Sleep. I find King is at his best when read on long summer nights, for me that is.

stuaw likes this.
  9. I only read The Long Walk for the first time this year and it immediately became my favourite King story. Hard to believe he wrote it when he was so young. He just gets the complexities of the human psyche, doesn't he? Not sure where a Long Walk movie would fit in in a post-Hunger Games world, but I'd certainly like to see an adaptation done properly.

Music Is Death and Andrew like this.
  10. A six part series of “Lisey’s Story” has been announced!

Written by King himself! Directed by Pablo Larrain! Starring JULIANNE MOORE!

Music Is Death and bonnieetclyde like this.
  11. I started reading Misery this week, after growing up watching the movie a good few times.

I don't think I've ever had so much absolute HATRED for a character in my life as I have right now for Annie Wilkes. I can only read a few chapters at a time before giving myself a break from the book because she's so horrific. It's a testament to King's writing how much these stories and people affect me.

12. Just discovered this thread! I've become a huge fan of his in recent years. It started in 2013 when I read/watched Carrie for the first time, but it exploded after seeing 2017's IT. I've slowly been working my way through the books. Currently reading IT and loving...it ddd. The Stand is next on my list, then Salem's Lot, The Shining and Doctor Sleep, cause that's all I own.
    I love a lot of his adaptations as well.

Lately, Rei Ayanami, Remorque and 2 others like this.
  13. I don’t know how I hadn’t seen this thread until now!

Carrie is one of my favourite movies ever and I started reading Stephen King when I was at school and picked up a bunch of his books at a car boot sale. I remember being really unsettled by the abusive husband in Rose Madder and the short story of The Running Man.

The books I’ve enjoyed most over the years are Under The Dome, Joyland, Sleeping Beauties and Mr Mercedes, which was such a page-turner and a perfect holiday read! Oh, and Full Dark, No Stars is a great short story collection.

I just find his endings a bit hit and miss.

Music Is Death and stuaw like this.
  14. Ha, yes definitely. I think it's a general consensus among fans that he's not great with ending stories. I mostly find when reading his books that they're such a whirlwind of anxiety that the endings always happen really suddenly and fall flat.

15. Definitely.

I loved everything about Under The Dome apart from the 'it was aliens all along' ending. And the ending of The Outsider was just madness. Same with Rose Madder when she escapes into the painting as up until then the whole story had been based in reality.

16. [​IMG]

My copy of The Insitute is arriving next week. I'm not a fan of hardback books, so I waited for the paperback release. I can't wait! Has anyone read it?

In my (seemingly neverending) quest to read everything he's ever written, I also picked up The Eyes of the Dragon. Fantasy will be a nice departure for him, but I trust it'll be as engaging as his other stuff.

17. I finally saw Stand By Me in full a few days ago. Still holds up great.

etienne, stuaw and Andrew like this.
  18. I just rewatched it yesterday, a great film.

P Grandson and stuaw like this.
  19. oh man I hated The Institute (sorry!) I’m a massive Stephen King fan and it just felt like it wasn’t written by him. It feels quite YA which I don’t mind if I know that’s what i was planning to read, a bit of a miss for me.

maybe I’ll just give it a re-read

20. The film adaptation of Dolores Claiborne is just phenomenal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.