Stephen King | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Stephen King

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by stuaw, Aug 2, 2019.

1. IT whomst? Castle Rock wheremst?

Doctor Sleep is the MOMENT and it is time for the gays to rise and make it the cult sleeper hit that it deserves to be. Rose the Hat is an evil pop queen and we stan.

2. Yes!

3. Yes! Times Two.
    This did deserve it's own post.

johnny_tsunami likes this.
  4. I stan you stanning Doctor Sleep.

I saw it in the cinema and loved it. Rewatched again recently and it was just as fun the second time.

Rose the Hat is absolutely a gay icon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  5. Thanks, hen. I'll adjust my expectations before going in.

As much as I love Sai King, he can be hit or miss. Of his recent stuff, I hated End of Watch and The Outsider, loved Doctor Sleep, Sleeping Beauties, Elevation, Revival, and Mr Mercedes, and was indifferent towards Finders Keepers and Gwendy's Button Box.

6. Doctor Sleep was a really terrific book, but the movie wasn't that great. I did love Rose though.

7. Doctor Sleep is amazing. The greatness of the movie, and getting to see it in theaters, made it one of the best dates I've been on, despite getting abandoned after it was over dddd.

8. The movie was better than the book and you can catch the motherfucking tea on that. Mike Flanagan is so good at what he does - sentimental horror with likable characters and atmosphere that is not overly-reliant on jump scares. The Conjuring universe could learn a thing or two from Miss Flanagan and her flair for mood and character development.

But like Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining, King's ideas can come across a little corny when literal. I'm so glad we didn't get sentient hedge animals for example. Also, adding in a finale at The Overlook Hotel into Doctor Sleep was a brilliant touch that wrapped the entire narrative together. Rose the Hat meeting her end by Danny facing the demons of his past felt like such a nice touch. The Director's Cut is a must-see in general.

The scene where they absorb the boy's vapor by torturing him is properly terrifying. And yet, somehow, they are a captivating and weirdly sympathetic cast of villains. It would have been brilliant as a mini-series.

9. I haven't read the book, so I can't comment on that dddd.

I would love if Mike did some directing in the Conjuring universe, but I'm happy with him doing more King adaptations.

10. Speaking of Mike Flanagan, I still need to watch Gerald’s Game on Netflix.

11. Glad you enjoyed it. It had a few good scenes but that’s about it.

12. I need my Julianne Moore led miniseries of “Lisey’s Story”. WHERE IS IT?

13. I think I'm just not a fan of King's latest books because I also hated Doctor Sleep (I think maybe because The Shining is one of my favourites and it ruined the mystique for me?! I'm not sure). So it made me not want to see the film at all, but since it's lockdown, is it worth a watch?

The last book of his I truly loved was Revival and then everything previous to that hahaha.

14. I think it's pretty clear we all think it is.

Rei Ayanami, stuaw and johnny_tsunami like this.
  15. I just finished re-reading The Institute and I'm sure everyone will be pleased to know I enjoyed it a lot more this time. I still think it reads more as YA instead of a King book but it is good.

stuaw likes this.
  16. I absolutely adored Doctor Sleep, both the novel and the movie.

I recently finished reading Under the Dome. How does the CBS show compare?

I know this is sick, but if they don't show the kiss between Andy and Phil, I kind of don't want it.

stuaw, johnny_tsunami and Andrew like this.
  17. She’s watching The Mist. Still need to check out the black and white version.

johnny_tsunami and Andrew like this.
  18. Why have I just ordered Sleepwalkers on Blu-ray?

19. The Stand gets a premiere date: 17th December. Buckle up, girls. It's going to be even more tense watching Captain Trips decimate the population in the opening episode with everything that's going on.

Also, I'm currently 3/4 of the way through Eyes of the Dragon. Anyone read it? It's a great story, like a Game of Thrones multi-season arc told through Stephen King's wonderful prose. I can't help but feel sorry for Thomas. Fuck Flagg.

20. Ahhhh can't wait! I'm reading The Stand now (loving it of course) and watching the 90s miniseries, and it's really good, but I'm excited to see what they'll be doing with this one.

Haven't read it yet, but I got The Eyes Of The Dragon for my birthday last month. Can't wait to dive into that one.

stuaw likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.