Steps - General Discussion + Hard 2 Forget | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Steps - General Discussion + Hard 2 Forget

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by johnoc2006, Jun 28, 2006.

1. 'It's The Way You Make Me Feel' is the only one I occassionally listen to now as well, even though the Britney-isms annoy me.

I don't think it's a case of the music dating, it sounded pretty dated at the time, but when Steps were about I was 12 or something, and now, dare I say, I've 'grown up'.

Pop fans don't grow out of pop, but there is a certain type of pop music that appeals more to children - mainly pop tracks that hit you over the head with there obviousness in the first listen, and don't have an ounce of subtlty and get really annoying with repeated listens.

I think a lot of Steps stuff fits into this category.

2. I loved Steps at the time but they really should stay in the past. A previous poster mentioned the stuff not produced by Waterman as sounding less dated and they are absolutely spot on. I never listen to the PWL-sounding stuff now although I do have Here And Now and It's The Way You Make Me feel on my Walkman.

3. SBK

SBK

yea the only pwl track i really listen to is one for sorrow... and nine times out of ten it'll be the 2001 sleazesisters remix of it

4. I can listen to Pete Waterman's Kylie material forever.  I Should Be So Lucky is just a pure, gorgeous pop ballad.  It's amazing.  Better The Devil You Know still sounds amazing as well.  It's just Steps don't.

I don't know about you lot but I would KILL to hear a modern day Kylie/Waterman song. I bet he'd raise his game just for her.

5. SBK

SBK

lol maybe you should start listening forever... I should be so lucky isnt a ballad!

6. Jon

Jon

It's a ballad in uptempo gay dance pop form. I know what Kirkland's talking about.

7. Quite right. And there's a more traditional interpretation on the Intimate and Live cd.

8. I loved Steps back in the day but their music hasn't aged well. I wouldn't mind if they reformed, but I'm not bothered if they don't.

Tragedy was severely overrated. Better The Devil You Know was severely underrated.

9. I don't necessarily think Tragedy was overrated, but it does annoy me that it's usually the only video that gets played. Whenever there's some kind of pop music countdown and Steps feature, it's always Tragedy that comes on. Never the vastly superior It's The Way... or Deeper Shade Of Blue, and that's a shame.

Their run of hits is still pretty impressive. Most pop groups would kill for their run of 13 consecutive top 5's and a greatest hits that was #1 for a month.

10. "Steps and S Club 7 shouldn't have been called pop - they should have been called shit" - Lily Allen, 2006.

11. SBK

SBK

and she wonders why people steal her dog... I bet H's holding it prisoner

12. Couldn't stand Steps "back in the day", and I like them even less now, but even I'm surprised at how badly their stuff has dated. As well as 'Tragedy' being the only one of theirs that still gets played on music video channels, it is invariably in a "so awful but we love it" weekend special along with Las Ketchup and The Cheeky Girls.

13. H is gay!!

I would never have guessed.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,11049-2007000218,00.html

CELEBRITY Big Brother star Ian “H†Watkins came out of the closet last night  and told how he grew up as the only gay in his Welsh village.
    The former Steps singer revealed his sexuality to The Sun as he prepared to enter the BB house tonight with 11 other celebs  including top model Danielle Lloyd.

Ian, 30, hid the fact he was gay from fans  even while having a ten-year affair with Steps’ male manager.

14. hullaballoo

hullaballoo Guest

I thought their manager was Pete Waterman...

15. No. Fucking. Way.

Who next? Robbie Williams? I am quite simply dumbstruck.

16. He was their producer.

I am shocked! I didn't see this coming any way shape or form (!)
    Surely one of pop's worst kept secrets?

17. So, the mystery is at last solved.

H stands for Homosexual.

18. Actually I never expected the man to actually come out, let's be honest here.

He had Gay Hair for a start - you didn't even need to see him animated.

19. VoR

VoR

This is BRAND NEW INFORMATION!

20. Well my core is in a terrible state now, never in a million years would I have thought that H of all people would be Gay!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.