Steps - General Discussion & What The Future Holds (6th album) | Page 2151 | The Popjustice Forum

Steps - General Discussion & What The Future Holds (6th album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by johnoc2006, Jun 28, 2006.

1. I don't think it's quite as easy as to say they're 'choosing to do nothing' when the whole world is under siege from a pandemic and they all have families and other priorities than giving us some bops. We need to stop assuming that because other acts have done stuff during this that Steps should have done the same. I repeat again; we weren't meant to know about this era at all yet, the fact that we do is a privilege we weren't meant to have.

SBK, jtm, Adora Day and 3 others like this.
  2. MB

MB

and I wish we didn’t know about to be honest.

SBK, JMRGBY and jtm like this.
  3. I never really understood this either. Although, of course it's entirely possible that a Steps fan currently living in China found the song and leaked it. Hell even a non-fan could have found it and just leaked it for the hell of it. I had wondered if it maybe could have leaked more when it went out to remixers ahead of its original release.

4. 100% this! The logistics of Steps is just so much harder to manage than a solo artist. Steps all have families, there are 5 members and they are all over the place, not in one part of the country and Lisa is stuck in Dubai. I don't think a single launch via zoom and a bit of Steps karaoke online is how they envision showcasing their new material to the world.

SBK likes this.
  5. Hmmm, ok, but it's not a case of saying they should have done it. I'm not saying they owe us it, and that we're somehow entitled to it. It'd just a be a nice thing to do for the fans and the people they'd like to support them when this album does finally come out.

But they 100% could do it, if they wanted to. It is a choice they're making. Hopping onto Zoom and singing a song once a week wouldn't be most taxing thing they've ever done. We maybe weren't supposed to know the era would have started, but they've been very open that it was coming, and I can't think of any other act that had/has material coming out that doesn't maintain some sort of presence for their fans.

As for them all having families, so giving us some bops isn't a priority, I'm not sure I understand that logic either. We're all affected by what's happening. I have a young family, but I also still have a full time job. For those that can still do something, the world hasn't completely come to a standstill. Yes, things are different and most of us are working from home, which other music acts/performers have been doing to keep interacting with their fanbase. I just wish Steps would do something - it'd be nice to see them together, singing, albeit via Zoom. It doesn't have to be the new material either. It'd just be nice to see them.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Dr Pop likes this.
  6. If they did this stuff via Zoom etc that would be seen as the album campaign and I doubt that's what they want. They had stuff planned and I am sure they want to sell this all in the best possible way.

The band hinted that new music was coming. They didn't say when. They didn't give a time frame, or talk about a tour or even mention a thing about the new single. They have not made an announcement officially about the album. Not who they worked with, not a title, nothing.

Jones322 likes this.
  7. I would rather they did not go with your suggestions and there is obviously reasons they haven't. Personally I want them to be able to do things to the best of their ability, like this was...

8. It is a choice they are making and there are ways around this situation. But this choice is clearly what is best for them and their families and as fans we should respect that.

zephyr, poshbabyyy, SBK and 3 others like this.
  9. Fair enough, and yeah, to launch a new album campaign, I totally get that. Ideally, that's my preference too.

But we're very far away from there being any opportunity for a big performance, with an audience. So I suppose it's a question of whether they want to still launch a campaign of any sort, or postpone it indefinitely.

As I said in my previous post, take out the new material then. I just think it'd be a nice touch for them to do something. Even if it's a Zoom medley performance, or a few cover requests or something. Nothing serious, nothing with any pressure, just a little thing for the fans.

10. They cant really postpone something that wasn't announced in the first place.
    The general public have no idea about any of this. It's really just a bunch of super-fans in here.

AlmostFamous and SBK like this.
  11. Whether it was announced or not, we now know they'd planned to have released by now. So, the conversations are happening behind closed doors. They'll be deciding whether or not to do something (anything) now, or to postpone. And the difficulty with postponing it is how uncertain anything is. They'd be picking a date completely at random, with no idea how different the situation would be. Which is probably why many acts have just carried on and got the music out there.

I absolutely understand they're very much a visual group and performances are a major part of their appeal. So kicking off an era where they couldn't be physically together to do that is not what they envisioned, but nobody did, and they still just went along with it and figured out how to make it work.

If they choose to push it back until next year, we'll just need to wait, I just think it'd be a shame if that happened and we don't hear anything from them until then, that's all.

12. Exactly.

I'm sure all of this has been discussed between them and they've decided as a band what is the correct option going forward. And will be in continuous discussions throughout all this.

None of us really know what the implications of doing a campaign right now are for them personally (childcare, travel, other commitments).

They had a winning formula for the last era, it's understandable they may want to follow some sort of similar process for this one. They need the big impact of the initial launch, the pick up from national press & social media and the TV performances. There could be a worry that by the time they do a second single (with album/tour) that buzz may have died down. As the campaign is completely focused on the tour, I would imagine the delay is waiting until rescheduled dates are locked down before doing anything.

Other artists who are streaming forces such as Dua don't really have to worry about that as much.

13. I understand that we're all just saying that we would have wanted things from then during lockdown - of course we all do - but at the end of the day, that isn't what's happened and I don't think it's productive to get upset or annoyed or sad about the fact they haven't been done anything during it either. They want to do things the way they want to do them and we have to accept that regardless of what we want or think they should or could have done.

Us going to work, dealing with family stuff etc during lockdown is a very different beast to trying to launch a massive comeback when nobody has any money. The arts as a whole has suffered and the band actually did all post about saving the arts when there was no funding. They've had their own difficulties to face during the pandemic as much as we have, just ones that aren't the same ones as we're dealing with. They had plans that were suddenly gone in the same way as we did. They had a guaranteed income taken away by losing the tour this year. Now, they can't even do anything else to replace it like panto or something because that's not an option either.

Can we please just put this conversation to bed before we loop around to it again? Also this isn't me having a dig at anyone either.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  14. I agree with most of what you've said but in the last 24 hours we've been told we can't talk about the forthcoming single, the Steps Reunion dinner party/letters and now what we wish they'd done during lockdown. It begs the question, what can we talk about?

Doodvid and JMRGBY like this.
  15. God knows to be honest.

Matgo likes this.
  16. They could release music that people will buy. Granted, it's not the moneymaker that a tour is, but some money is better than no money, no?

Why do we have to put conversations to bed? You'd be as well just shutting the thread then. If I can't post to say that it'd be nice to see them spending 5 minutes on Zoom (which is hardly a lot to ask), then what do I post about? The fact their music has leaked and they still have an opportunity to get ahead of that by just releasing it? That conversation was heading to thread-closureville too.

I totally get what you're saying about just accepting they haven't wanted to do anything during lockdown. Ok that's fine, it's totally up to them and I can't change that. But I don't think it's fair to suggest the opportunities to continue were all taken away. The goalposts only changed, they weren't completely removed.

17. Fancy another Totally Scott Lee marathon?

poshbabyyy, poploz and JMRGBY like this.
  18. SBK

SBK

Tsd and H&Claire remixes.

19. The extended mix of DJ is amazing, you’ve gotta admit.

20. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Do we know who wrote/produced the forthcoming single?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.