Steps - General Discussion & What The Future Holds (6th album) | Page 2157 | The Popjustice Forum

Steps - General Discussion & What The Future Holds (6th album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by johnoc2006, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Island

Island Staff Member

Would've been funny if the cameras followed Michelle around while Liberty X were shopping around for a new contract and album release during the X era so she can compete with Lisa.

boyaloud and happiegoluckie like this.
  2. MB

MB

What about Q2 2021?

Chris Lala, JMRGBY and Jones322 like this.

3. Oh its boxing day part 2.

Also after I posted I realised we are wearing matching t shirts.

Screenshot_20200806-181812_Chrome.jpg

4. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Randomly rewatched this and eeek at Lisa saying the christmas album could be a taster of where they'd go next. God we were lucky.
    Was Tears even a plan for the future back then or did the lack of succes of Light Up The World totally change their story (for the better)?

5. The original Christmas album was meant to be more poppy judging by the discussions in the documentary. Things like covers of Stay Another Day, loosely associated with Christmas rather than songs about chestnuts and snowflakes.

boyaloud, Burntoutandfalling and Mvnl like this.
  6. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yeah but going by their talk on this video it sounds to me like they're going on about the album they actually gave us?

Scotty B likes this.
  7. I always kinda assumed everything they had planned was shelved after Light Up The World but they got together in secret again a few years later, discussed what they needed to do to make an improvement & recorded Tears On The Dancefloor. Could obviously be wrong though.

Starfury and Mvnl like this.
  8. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yeah I kinda think the same. Curious what we would have gotten had they continued after Light Up though.. But whatever happened was the best that could have happened I think.

(Also I don't even remember any sadness or longing for more after the Light Up era? So odd.. but I guess I had no clue yet what they'd be capable of?)

9. I'm an avid pop music fan but I don't even recall the 2012 reunion all that well. When I heard Steps were coming back in 2017 I was like "oh okay cool" but then when I heard Scared Of The Dark I was floored & ensured I went to the tour twice. And I'm not even THAT big a fan of them. Looking forward to their new era whenever it happens.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    boyaloud, Uno, HolyWater and 5 others like this.
  10. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I grew up as a Steps fan. Loved the documentary and the one new track we got in 2011. Loved Light Up The World (the song) for being new Steps material. But Scared Of The Dark was something I never knew I needed in my life because I'd never imagined it being possible? (same for the new era)

boyaloud likes this.
  11. I think Take That were the model for a successful comeback of a pop band around that time and Light Up The World sounds like it's trying to ape Rule The World. I guess those around them thought a shift to Adult Contemporary was the best thing for an adult band - whereas the world needed Steps to plough a furrow of sadbangers - which thankfully they managed with Tears on the Dancefloor

boyaloud, Mikey1701 and Mvnl like this.
  12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Thank god whoever made them realize it was okay to still be Steps in the 10s.

boyaloud and Chips111 like this.
  13. Bizarrely I think a comparison with Alan Partridge is relevant - other than Steve Coogan the original team who created Partridge don't have anything to do with the character now. A team of writers who understand the character and know how to make him work in a different modern setting have taken over. I feel the same with the Tears Era, they and the people around them knew what Steps should be like in the 2010's - just imagine what Pete Waterman would have done with them!

Hopefully they know what Steps should be like in the 2020's because we could be knee deep in this decade before new music comes out

boyaloud, Chips111 and Mvnl like this.
  14. I'm still pissed Neon Blue was chosen over No More Tears On The Dancefloor.

Bookwormboy likes this.
  15. Pete got it right first time around for sure. Well, Pete and his team got it right I should add. Topham/Twigg/Frampton really we’re the reason we had so much great material back then. I’m glad they didn’t go back to Pete though as we could of ended up with something like this...

Bookwormboy and Eric like this.
  16. ^Wrong thread?

I'm late and all, but H and Claire reunion.... hmmmmmmm.....

I'm just kidding.

17. I think the big issue was the management they had in 2012. The only other acts that their management had at that time were Lulu, Anastacia and Heather Small. They had little experience in managing a viable pop act, instead wanting to focus on cheap and cheerful album releases that would give their acts an excuse to head out on another tour.

They didn’t know how to market a band like Steps to the modern music landscape. They were trying to make every buck they could from the Steps brand (who was screaming out for a Steps perfume?!) and Light Up the World essentially became a cheap project to sell a Christmas tour off the back of.

They seem to have found a proper home now with Fascination who understand how to market pop music in 2020. I hope they stay with them for a long time.

18. boyaloud likes this.
  19. MB

MB

it’s 2001 all over again.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.