Steps - General Discussion & What The Future Holds | Page 2631 | The Popjustice Forum

Steps - General Discussion & What The Future Holds

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by johnoc2006, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Happy has grown on me over time but still isn't in my top half of that album.
    I just.. don't hear it I guess?

JamieHT likes this.
  2. Both Tears On the Dancefloor and What the Future Holds are just incredible works of art albums. Like career best albums. They feel like a body of work rather than 12/14 songs. The first 3 albums will always have a special place in my heart but I just feel that they’ve now topped those albums.

LPT, Chris Lala, andymc35 and 4 others like this.
  3. Ooh To the One is on the should be a single list too. To be honest, Too the One, Clouds, Fathers Eyes and Cone Dance With Me are going to be the singles that got away in this era but I appreciate they can’t have 8 singles from the album however much I’d want that.

4. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I think objectively the first 3 had more fillers or even 'what the heck is this doing here'-songs but with me being a peak fan and younger even some of the unnecessary solos had (and still have) a magic that's hard to be topped by any new material. Had the release order been reversed these might be my absolute faves, as it is Buzz still has to be topped for me for the sheer classics + Paradise Lost + Buzzz.

Iggypig likes this.
  5. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yeah I guess I'm the odd one out here cause One Touch is the only real none single standout for me on this one?

unidan82 likes this.
  6. Oh yeah Paradise Lost is still my ultimate favourite of theirs and the Buzz album is still my favourite from the original 3. It’s let down by Learn To Love Again and to a lesser extent Wouldn’t Hurt So Bad

7. Also, time is a really funny thing.

When they were last on proper tour (the 2017 Tears tour) they celebrated the exact 20 year anniversary moment of when 5,6,7,8 was released as a single.

When they do the Future Holds tour later this year, it'll end just days before the 20th anniversary of their first split and the moment when H & Claire handed their letter in.

It doesn't feel like as much time has elapsed between Tears and now as did during their entire original era.

8. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

It's probably also because we didn't get quite as much Steps in these past few years as in back in the days. But yeah time is funny. Things like Little Mix being on their 10th year together with no breaks while for the Spice Girls that was just 1 year before their reunion after years apart???

Starfury likes this.
  9. Steps are an incredible example of a group that has been able to balance creating new music that is fresh, relatively modern and interesting while staying true to their roots as to not alienate the fans who invested in them in the first place. I don't think they get enough credit for that when it's an incredibly difficult task for such a well-established group.

10. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

To be honest I can't think of much groups who came back creating something that did alienate their fans.
    But yeah they did a good job of making it current enough, though not really enough to get proper new hits. It's their fans why they're still here

actorandlyricist likes this.
  11. agreed I love One Touch

CLJC87 and actorandlyricist like this.
  12. W2K

W2K

Happy and To The One are superb examples of “one foot in the future”. The latter for me is now my favourite Steps song alongside One For Sorrow, and Happy absolutely slaps and is at the very least in my top 10 Steps songs.

More of this for the next album please!

13. What about getting a brand new album for christmas instead of a rerelease? I'd die of excitement.

14. MB

MB

Still #1 on itunes which is nice to see. Then again Lucy Spraggan's albums at #3 so that tells you how low sales are!

CLJC87, Corso, unidan82 and 3 others like this.
  15. I stan this!

16. SBK

SBK

One of these is not like the others....

I mean talking about it on here has probably brought his timeline to managements attention.

I'm sure Steps know him better than we do from his tweets. Guess it depends how good the "best songs he's ever written" turn out to actually be.

I'd love a new album, but surely it'd have to come after the What The Future Holds Tour? Already gonna be difficult getting all the songs in they need to get in, let alone adding another albums worth of songs.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    unidan82, Chris Lala and W2K like this.
  17. The single mix of Heartbreak on repeat is the only thing getting me through today. Manifesting a band version of this mix so the original middle8 can be in tact.

18. It would be one way of touring under the tagline 'Hits Past, Present and Future' though if they could squeeze a taster of something that was to come into the setlist.

19. yeah and they've also said that planning for an album takes 3 years. I would expect some sort of package for the 25th anniversary and then potentially a new album (hopefully) in 2023/24

20. Not sure if it has been mentioned here but what is going on with the tour?

I live in Canada and our vaccine roll out and travel ban is different than the UK I think. Bought my tickets through Event Travel. Are they doing refund? Does anyone have any experience with this??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.