Steps - The #1 Platinum Collection | Page 3298 | The Popjustice Forum

Steps - The #1 Platinum Collection

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by johnoc2006, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Just heard The Runner and I am just so confused as to why it's not chosen as the lead single for this era. The build-up towards the end and the drama as the song progresses by each minute are just astounding! The beginning bits sound a bit dated but that's what makes Steps sound so unique.

It's funny that as soon as I hear it, I hear "ABBA". It's not the case when Bananarama's doing it or even Third Degree. Steps definitely put a stamp on it!

The Runner = Tragedy x The Slightest Touch.

2. The best part is Claire's "YOU'RE A RUNNAH!"

3. SBK

SBK

Criminal that they make us wait until the third verse for her to shine.

4. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

The intro is very Ding-A-Dong

5. 6 more days and I'll finally get to hear it. I know it's only one song but any new steps song since Dancing Queen always makes me feel like a giddy school girl. Ha

And speaking of the completest in me needs Dancing Queen on streaming.

Starfury, dangeleyes and Mvnl like this.
  6. Nobody needs Dancing Queen on streaming.

Nephilim, TMI, SBK and 1 other person like this.
  7. My OCD does haha

Yet it does have great adlibs from HRHLSL

Starfury, JamieHT and Mvnl like this.
  8. If they redid Dancing Queen with their current producers, it would worth listening to.

CLJC87 and actorandlyricist like this.
  9. W2K

W2K

Would it though?

#PopETC and SBK like this.
  10. So glad The Runner wasn’t the lead because it’s crap x

11. I'm absolutely obsessed with their cover of 'The Runner', its perfect everything-and-the-kitchen-sink bonkers bop.

saturdays20 and W2K like this.
  12. I'm irrationally annoyed that so many of you have heard it. General consensus appears to be positive in here though. I didn't actually like the original of Slightest Touch, but loved their cover, which in turn made me love the original too.

But I absolutely LOVE the original of The Runner, so I just need it to keep as much of the bonkers disco flourishes of that, and not be a generic bore-a-thon like the Bananarama version.

13. TMI

TMI

I want to heart the Runner for the first time when my vinyle arrives which will be one week late at best. Will I be strong enough?

iveivan likes this.
  14. God knows why anyone would want to listen to anything but the ABBA version of Dancing Queen! Steps have definitely improved some songs but no one should touch this one.

Holly Something likes this.
  15. W2K

W2K

I agree, I love it. It’s bonkers and picks up where The Slightest Touch left off.

16. That’s true. I feel the same way about Better the Devil too.

Cowboystyle and thewayitusedtobe like this.
  17. MB

MB

The slightest touch is one of the best things Steps have ever created. The Runner is one of the worst. I understand everyone has different opinions and I can see why people would like it but to compare it against the masterpiece of the slightest touch? Never in a million years!

JMRGBY and poploz like this.
  18. W2K

W2K

I mean you said it yourself, everyone’s opinions and the way they hear things differ so…

19. Don't know if it's just me but the overall production value on Hard 2 Forget and The Runner just sound way cheaper than anything found on What the Future Hold Parts 1 or 2.

Jacques, poploz and Mvnl like this.
  20. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I definitely prefer this to The Slightest Touch, but then preferring the (original) song does half the job. I just prefer my Steps bittersweet. That being said they definitely threw everything at the production of this and not necessarily in the best way. But still love it.

YourLeadSinger and jbond88 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.