Steps

Post 2017, I think Steps/their team have on several occasions favoured songs as singles that have an association with a 'well-known' writer/artist:
Story of a Heart (Abba-connection)
Dancing With A Broken Heart (Delta)
What The Future Holds (not sure who this was written by!? Ha!)
To The Beat of My Heart (Mollie King)
Take Me For A Ride (Twigg)
Hundred Years of Winter (Darren Hayes)

I wonder do they get overly-excited with the particular writer/artist connections to a song that they have recorded and thus perceive the song as 'better' or more single-worthy as a result of their own excitement? I just feel there have been a few cases where fans could have chosen 'better' singles. Glitter & Gold says hello.

Now the list is duly completed.

tumblr_inline_mgdpurMTs11rzx0ti.gif

Am I right in thinking Light Up The World was also a Topham and Twigg leftover? I like Take Me For A Ride but I definitely agree it was ridiculous to choose it over The Slightest Touch or a beefier Victorious as lead single. You would think Peter Loraine would tell them that. I guess Radio 2 playability is more important to them... although I think it's mainly super fans who are buying 57 copies of the album, rather than casual Radio 2 listeners.

Didn't he also said they'd written multiple songs for them?
Any chance the really good one is saved for next year?
That’s my theory… take me for a ride is definitely not career best. The way he was going on about it, it was as if every gay would lose their sh*t upon hearing it. I’m hoping this amazing song will launch the super greatest hits

Take Me For A Ride was the right choice, and I agree with Topham/Twigg that it’s one of their finest.

Aside from A Hundred Years of Winter, it’s the most refreshing song on the record. It doesn’t feel like another take on any of the songs from Part 1, or like a Tears leftover.

The Slightest Touch didn’t excite me anywhere near as much as Ride, but I do understand why many fans would love to have it out there as a single and music video.

I think pretty much all of the singles post 2017 have been correct, whether they were chosen due to their quality or their connection, it always made sense to me. Sure, Glitter & Gold would have been nice in place of Neon Blue but we all know the band love that song, and it’s nice for them to have those moments that they enjoy.

It’s very hard to argue the singles run of Part 1 I think. Perhaps it was the quality of the videos too, but they excited me a lot more than the Tears singles. It felt like a proper old school Steps album era.

he/him
What The Future Holds
Something In Your Eyes
Clouds
A Million Years
Under My Skin
Take Me For A Ride
Heartbreak In This City
Victorious
To The Beat Of My Heart
A Hundred Years Of Winter
To The One
The Slightest Touch

This is the album I'll be keeping and playing.

lisa-scott-lee.gif

Am I right in thinking Light Up The World was also a Topham and Twigg leftover? I like Take Me For A Ride but I definitely agree it was ridiculous to choose it over The Slightest Touch or a beefier Victorious as lead single. You would think Peter Loraine would tell them that. I guess Radio 2 playability is more important to them... although I think it's mainly super fans who are buying 57 copies of the album, rather than casual Radio 2 listeners.

Light Up The World was a Karl Twigg written song, nothing to do with Mark Topham. It existed before the Steps Reunion so in that sense it was a leftover. Ride is in another league altogether, thank God.

SockMonkey

Staff member
To think that I dismissed Take Me For A Ride when it first came out as sounding like a rejected demo! I fully admit I was wrong on that, and I now love it.

The conversations you avoid
Tells me I’m not paranoid

is a great lyric, it keeps going round in my head.

However I do wish there was a different “noise” in the instrumental bit in the middle, because it makes me think of The Sooty Show.