Steps

I understand very little about the industry and costs, but would imagine that if the Platinum collection is a success, it would have actually cost very little to produce due to 95% of the content being there already. I would have thought that profits from this and the Live album/dvd being released this summer would easily cover the costs for multiple albums in future - even if they would need to wait another 3 years or more before any touring/merchandise income.
Could there be licensing costs as the different eras are under different labels?
You don't need to worry about this, Steps are doing just fine. They aren't gonna struggle to produce new material if they want to go ahead and do it... (which I'm sure they will)

You don't need to worry about this, Steps are doing just fine. They aren't gonna struggle to produce new material if they want to go ahead and do it... (which I'm sure they will)

Totally. Since the Ultimate (and especially Tears) there has been an awesome thirst for Steps.
And probably said before, them now having a couple/few years break between projects does wonders for them. This definitely isn't the end, it's a celebration!