Steps

How much older was Tim than H? H was an adult of course but Tim was also in a position of power - doubly so as H was still closeted during both the Steps and H&Claire eras. It also always sounded like H and Tim started a relationship as soon as the band was started which is also pretty yikes. I don't mean in the sense of a TikTok ~cancelling due to an age gap, I mean just in terms of the massive difference in life experience and ability to be openly gay.

I don't believe for one second Step Two existed. Making up album tracklistings is what people did before social media trolling. All you had to say was "I've seen it on the computer at HMV" and everyone would believe it.
And with 20+ years of hindsight - it’s very obviously fake.

Step Two

1: INTRO - yes, it's Step2 and it also has an intro, which starts fast and slows down to the pace of the first song.

2: Stay (S. Mac/W. Hector) - y'know, the Westlife people! This might not appeal to you but it will at least get radio play.

3: Left You Behind (Mirwais Ahmadzai) - this might just be the first single, think All Saints meets Madonna. Quite guitary, yet quite dancey. Not too fast and not too slow.

4: Don't Say You Love Me (Mirwais Ahmadzai/N. Young) - erm, hello? Aren't Steps songs supposed to be fast?

5: Strangers (F. Tozer/L. Evans/C. Porter/A. Carlsson) - That's more like it. This is a better "Here & Now".

6: Say The Words (I. Watkins/A. Frampton) - slushy number with lead vocals from H & Claire. Sound familiar?

7: Tonight (Mirwais Ahmadzai/L. Scott-Lee/I. Watkins) - DANCE ALERT! Best track by a mile. Fastest track too. This IS going to blow up in the charts when it's released, that's when, not if.

8: Don't Come Back To Me (F. Tozer/S. Mac/W. Hector) - what do you follow up the best track on the album with? Another amazing track of course! Faye shares the lead with Claire in this, which is always a good thing. It's a very chunky pop track, quite like something 'N Sync would release, only better - since it's Steps and all that.

9: A Little More Time (Topham/Twigg) - AUWCH! Sorry, but this is painful. Why have they inflicted a PWL track on us beside all these fancy producers? It really is bad, but it might not make the album if they find anything better...anything that is. It's a bit like a second rate "Summer Of Love".

10: Run To You (Mirwais Ahmadzai/C. Richards/I. Watkins) - Really good dance track. Loads of strange noises and distorted bits throughout. Makes up for the previous track, if that's at all possible!

11: Fine (C. Richards/F. Tozer/L.Scott-Lee) - really girly aggressive track aimed at boys who walk out. Quite a disco feeling in there, but not second rate "Stomp" eg. Baby Don't Dance - which by the way, has been scrapped as a single.

12: Boogie (L. Scott-Lee) - WOW! A Lisa solo, with the others joinging her in the chorus. This is a really fiery song which starts and stops - sounds strange but you will know what I'm talking about, it has that kind of jumpy rhythm. Superb.

13: No Rhyme, No Reason (Topham/Twigg) - no, No, NO! I said NO PWL! NONE! ZILCH! This is pure cheese from start to finish. Period.

14: Right From The Start (F. Tozer/L. Evans/C. Porter) - striking way to finish the album, with this little beauty. Thank god they didn't stop at #1

The worst thing about it all, and particularly “Steps Reunion” was to the Steps fans nothing was ever really revealed truthfully, it was all carefully scripted edited drama for the general public. The show (and H) basically put all the blame on unfairly Claire, when the real instigator of it all I have always believed was Tim Byrne.

I may be misremembering, but I don’t recall Tim being mentioned on Steps Reunion at all, at least not with regards to his relationship with H… but I’ve always believed he basically could get H&Claire a separate multi-million pound deal, with a load of promises, but they would have to “leave Steps”.
According to this clip from Steps Reunion, Claire told Tim she wanted out during the Cardiff dates- which was only a week before the rest of the band found out.
I still wouldn't be surprised if songs were being 'written for' H & Claire before then- but only in the sense that more Deeper Shade of Blue/ When I Said Goodbye-esque 'duets' were being planned as part of the 2002 album. Claire did seem genuinely surprised when that idea (songs being written for them) was put forward during the confrontation, so I don't think the duo was a foregone conclusion far in advance.

And with 20+ years of hindsight - it’s very obviously fake.
1: INTRO - yes, it's Step2 and it also has an intro, which starts fast and slows down to the pace of the first song.

2: Stay (S. Mac/W. Hector) - y'know, the Westlife people! This might not appeal to you but it will at least get radio play.

3: Left You Behind (Mirwais Ahmadzai) - this might just be the first single, think All Saints meets Madonna. Quite guitary, yet quite dancey. Not too fast and not too slow.

4: Don't Say You Love Me (Mirwais Ahmadzai/N. Young) - erm, hello? Aren't Steps songs supposed to be fast?

5: Strangers (F. Tozer/L. Evans/C. Porter/A. Carlsson) - That's more like it. This is a better "Here & Now".
I have two observations about this:
1. N.Young...C.Porter...i love that these went straight over my head as a child
2. It is kind of ironic that Steve Mac did end up putting forward a couple of tracks towards Tears on the Dancefloor

It's all early-era trolling. I knew a rather mean gay who told me he put up the extended Mobius Loop mix of Nicki French's Total Eclipse of the Heart to an MP3 site claiming it was Lisa's solo single, but he cut it after the intro before any vocals began to distress the people trying to download it. Some people just get their kicks making up this kinda shit.

It happens around film franchise sequels aaaaall the time. "I got my hands on the script!" "My friend is friends with the writer!"

According to this clip from Steps Reunion, Claire told Tim she wanted out during the Cardiff dates- which was only a week before the rest of the band found out.
I still wouldn't be surprised if songs were being 'written for' H & Claire before then- but only in the sense that more Deeper Shade of Blue/ When I Said Goodbye-esque 'duets' were being planned as part of the 2002 album. Claire did seem genuinely surprised when that idea (songs being written for them) was put forward during the confrontation, so I don't think the duo was a foregone conclusion far in advance.

I always wondered whether it was actually them recording Showtime at the Stadium at Cardiff when this is mentioned, that was late October.

I remember asking Lee if they planned to perform this version again and he said they'd considered it for Christmas with Steps.

Mvnl

Staff member
I think that rather niche tour was the only setting where they'd ever consider turning their biggest hit into such a different version